Sign in to follow this  
ggerolamo

Prepar3D Addon Organizer - add-ons path

Hello Oliver,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've noticed something:

If I create a new entry manually in P3Dv3, the new add-on.xml is always saved in a new directory - ..\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files\add-ons

not in the intended directory ..\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons\

So i have to move manually  this entry to the 'right' directory (...witch all the work behind ;-))  to have all files on the same place !

In P3dv4 its all correct and new add-on.xml is created in ..\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons !

Please take a look at this

greetings

Gerolamo

kind regards, ggerolamo

spacer.png                       spacer.png

Hello Gerolamo,

no, the P3D V3 directory is correct for auto discovery. It has changed with V4.

Add-on Directory Structure

In addition to library (DLL) and application (EXE) add-on developers, those developing add-on content (SimObjects, Scenery, Effects, Scenarios, etc.) should also adhere to these guidelines.

When creating an add-on for Prepar3D, the directory structure are expected to be adhered to help maintain consistency.

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\<Company Name>

This is the recommended <Installation Directory> where your product folder should install to. In the case where the developer wants to have their add-on automatically discovered, the installation path should instead be:

%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3d v3 Files\add-ons

<Installation Directory>\<Product Name>

The main product installation directory for an add-on. Typically, the main application executable will be placed in this location.

<Installation Directory>\<Product Name>\add-on.xml

The Add-on Package file which describes how Prepar3D should load the add-on.

P3D V3 Learning Center -> Prepar3D SDK -> Add-ons -> Add-on instructions for Developers

I have tested both, and IMHO only the "\Documents\Prepar3d v3 Files\add-ons" folder works for auto discovery.

Best regards

LORBY-SI

OK , thanks for the clarification ! :-)

kind regards, ggerolamo

Hello Oliver,

after some tests I'm a little bit confused...

If i delete the add-ons.cfg files and the put all the add-on.xml-files into %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3d v3 Files\add-ons

none of the add-ons were recognized (not automatically discovered) by P3dv3 at startup (..but an empty  directory '..\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons' was automatically created !?

But if put the  add-on.xml-files into '..\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons' all went normal and p3dv3 asks me at the first start to add the add-ons... (automatically discovered)

as I said, I'm a little confused ...

greetings 

Gerolamo

kind regards, ggerolamo

Confused..

you and me both. This is very odd. Maybe the "Files\add-ons" path is an artifact in the SDK spec from an earlier P3D version?

I will change the folder to "Prepar3D v3 Add-ons".

Best regards

LORBY-SI

That's really strange...

again many thanks for your efforts !!

greetings

Gerolamo

kind regards, ggerolamo

3 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Confused..

you and me both. This is very odd. Maybe the "Files\add-ons" path is an artifact in the SDK spec from an earlier P3D version?

I will change the folder to "Prepar3D v3 Add-ons".

Best regards

I only have one scenery installed under the new recommended method by LM (KMSP from Flightbeam). It installed its corresponding add-on.xml file Ok into the C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Add-ons folder. I think that the LM's SDK has a mistake.

Thanks again to Oliver for the excellent utility.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers