Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

The DC-6 in Prepar3d v4- Dynamic!

This morning, I was setting up another build of the DC-6 for testing.  It was still early in Florida, earlier still in Anchorage, and as this build brought significant changes to the -6, I went outside to take a peek.... here is what I saw-

LwBzdyY.jpg

Prepar3d v4 does so many things for our sim, that it is sometimes easy to get caught up in the pangs of transition, and forget that we live in a time, fortunate for the flight simulator enthusiast.  The dynamic lighting at work is incredible. Remember the first time you saw shadows dancing across the cockpit panel and were entranced?  Well, this is much the same.  We live in a dynamically lit world, and after seeing the same in the simulator, you realize what you were missing. Our sound maestro Armen, has been hard at work, and his talents are being well showcased here.  Dan commented about it being, "all about that bass" and I will add, that if you don't have a great sound system hooked up to your simulator PC, now is the time to go out and get one (or at least start saving for one). Just wait until you hear the slightly un-synchronized heart beat of 4 R-2800's, you will spill your tea!

As readers will know, I have long been a fan of the RB-211-524G/H.  What you may not know, is that a considerable portion of my heart belongs to biplanes and round engines...... well our -6 has round engines in spades, and they belch, clatter, clunk, throw oil and fire and live.  Now, they fully sound the part. Add to that the sonic cocoon of the cockpit, the stout feel of Long Beach steel, the dancing needles (that are appropriately spread just enough to keep you preoccupied with synchronization) and the flat plate noise on the very upright windshield- and you will be able to leave your salt mine behind, when you settle in for a jaunt.

Take a moment to look at the photo in full 4k resolution. Do you see the way the light illuminates and then fades into shadow?  Do you see the variations in reflection, shine and material? Just the #1 nacelle has enough differences to stun! The light spreads as it does in life, giving bulk, slimness, steely softness, concealing shadows and realism. Do you see the way loading her up with cargo makes her squat on the mains, and unloads the nose oleo?  Now, imagine all this dancing in the rain, moved in a hypnotic rhythm, very akin to a taut torso undulating in the light- mesmerizing ;). Peering into the driving Alaskan rain through the climb, nursing power to maintain 40" and hoping to break out, with flashing white all around me, I was closer to Ernie Gann than ever before.

BTW, my transition to Prepar3d v4 has not been without angst.  This is a TOTALLY different simulator from v3 and I was not able to just move from one to another, without a learning curve.  I would be amiss in not thanking Steve Waite (my Oracle at Delphi) from CodeLegend.  He, once again patiently took me through the weeds to the promised land..... and I am obliged!

For those struggling with decisions, or with settings- persevere.  I have drunk the waters, and they quench deeply.  Prepar3d v4 is where I will spend my simulator time and treasure, and PMDG once again leads the way.

• Upvote 12

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

3 minutes ago, lasnubes said:

Prepar3d v4 is where I will spend my simulator time and treasure, and PMDG once again leads the way.

I am right along with you! 

zxyFUKz.jpg

The rain is streaming on the panes, the temps are icy, cowls shuttered tight, MAP back to 30", the cockpit heater turned up and we are STILL a tad high for NENANA at 14 DME..... how quickly one forgets manual descent planning, and how quickly do top-end's add up when one does..................... ;)

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

ftK8fcz.jpg

Here's the FE, looking up crossing the Tanana River.... headed for the Evert's ramp at Fairbanks.... can someone say, "Aaaaahhhhh Alaska Wx?"

BTW- did anyone notice the LIT UP RAIN streaming in front of the landing lights in the first piccie?

The DC-6 (and every other PMDG offering) is far lovelier in Prepar3D v4 than she ever was..... just stare at Jorge's photos of the NGX and you will see BEAUTY TO BEHOLD GALORE!

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Looking forward to flying this monster!  Big Time!

Mark Trainer

I am looking forward to this more than the 737.  After all, I have the 777 and the 747 for modern airliners. I can wait for the 737

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

This is going to be a lot of fun for those who love flying, and may be just the spark that others need to fall in love with flying.  When I loaded the latest test build last night, my P3Dv4 was already in mute so it was very stunning when I hit the Q key.  It was 2300L and the cat was curled up on the rug nearby until the thunder erupted from the subwoofer.  Bring her up to 1800 RPM for mag check the first time and a smile is guaranteed.  I took her out for a "hundred dollar cup of coffee" up the road to Stinson Memorial San Antonio.  Followed Interstate 37 at 3000 feet and marveled at how good the Orbx world looks.  Took off from Corpus Christi at dusk and watched the Western sky glow diminish into darkness as I rolled along the scrub and hills North of Three Rivers.  It was a very enjoyable simulator session.

I recommend speakers as Carl did... doesn't have to be expensive.  The best speaker manufacturer in the world, in my opinion, is Klipsch and they went through a period of not so great but since the employees in Hope AK bought their company it has regained it's technical achievements.  Take a look at the relatively inexpensive Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified speaker system, which I got from Amazon for about $150.  It is worth of consideration if you don't have a 2.1 system...., of course they have a 4.1 system too but I'm happy with the 2.1.

Dan Downs KCRP

7 hours ago, downscc said:

The best speaker manufacturer in the world, in my opinion, is Klipsch

I've got a set of Klipsch 2.1 and 4.1 systems so I'm glad to hear I am prepared and ready for the release of the DC-6. :biggrin: However, I think the proverbial $100 dollar GA aircraft coffee flight will be closer to a $1000 cup of coffee in the DC-6.  :laugh:

Ted Striker

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

10 hours ago, lasnubes said:

ftK8fcz.jpg

Here's the FE, looking up crossing the Tanana River.... headed for the Evert's ramp at Fairbanks.... can someone say, "Aaaaahhhhh Alaska Wx?"

BTW- did anyone notice the LIT UP RAIN streaming in front of the landing lights in the first piccie?

The DC-6 (and every other PMDG offering) is far lovelier in Prepar3D v4 than she ever was..... just stare at Jorge's photos of the NGX and you will see BEAUTY TO BEHOLD GALORE!

Looks like the engine parameters have been tuned a bit to match the published numbers more closely.  Good to see!

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

Been with Flight Sim since Sub Logic, and all versions. When Prepar3d V4 arrived. I built a new system and am all in for P3D V4. Haven't touched my all up FSX machine since.

Keeping the shiny side up....

Rob Roberson

1 hour ago, Pilot53 said:

Looks like the engine parameters have been tuned a bit to match the published numbers more closely.  Good to see!

Mike, are you aware that your photobucket links in your signature are not working.  All we see are two big loud PLEASE UPDATE YOUR ACCOUNT TO ENABLE 3RD PARTY HOSTING messages shouted at us taking up about half the screen.  I though you'd like to know.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'll be curious to see how this flies compared to the real thing - if you've ever seen Ice Pilots - you'll know where I did a bit of time - way back in the day!!  Not reflected in my forum signature though as it was far too long ago!

Looks great!

Do the dynamic lights also light up clouds?

Matthew S

Glorious!  Can't wait for this bird!!!

Thanks for posting.

Jeff Hendershot
"Roger, Roger...What's Our Vector, Victor?"