Sign in to follow this  
DarrianCZE

P3D V4 - Antialiasing

Hi,

I was wondering. Do you have any recommended AA setting for P3D V4 at 1080p? Some setting which has good balance between performance and looks. Combination of Nvidia Inspector and internal setting? Or only internal setting?

Specs:

i7 3770K OC at 4.3 GHz
GTX 980

Thanks very much :-)

Jan Podlipsky

I use only the P3D settings.  I do not touch the default display driver settings for P3D.  I have the 1080TI.

With the PMDG 747, FSDT KLAS Runway, weather, MSE Nevada, I am getting 25 fps in VC and over 50 in external view with following settings (70% zoom settings all views):

First page of the P3D settings and the AA are all maxed out w/all blocks checked.

Terrain settings - MAX. 

Scenery Objects - Extremely Dense with Autogen set to Sparse

Water - Ultra

Special Effects - High

Lighting - Turned Off

Shadows - Medium, low draw distance.   Only have internal/external vehicle casting and receiving shadows.  Everything below that turned off, especially clouds (gained another 10-15 fps when I did that!).  I will probably turn on cloud shadows if flying VFR in a Carenado GA aircraft.

• Upvote 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The CPU is still more of a bottleneck than the GPU, and the visual quality depends a lot on your screen resolution. The higher the resolution the less AA is needed.  At 4k you may accept x2MSAA as being enough.

Dan Downs KCRP

When I use the 8x MSAA only in P3D, picture is still pretty "squary". Nvidia Inspector helps a lot, but it also brings FPS down :-)

Jan Podlipsky

I use 4XSSAA for best visuals.

No NI required.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

I've followed Bert's advice on 4xSSAA, and Jim's advice on shadows and autogen settings, and for now, I am happy with P3dV4 graphics.  I'm running on 4790K CPU and a GTX 1070 GPU.

Rich

I tested them all and MSAA doesnt look good at all compared to SSAA. So you can try SSAA 8x if you have still good fps, otherwise SSAA 4x looks almost good as 8x for me with much better performance.

So when I use SSAA, then dynamic lighting absolutely rapes my FPS. Bringing them down by a half. When choosing 8x MSAA, then it is fine :-/ Tested with PMDG 777.

Jan Podlipsky

3 minutes ago, DarrianCZE said:

So when I use SSAA, then dynamic lighting absolutely rapes my FPS. Bringing them down by a half. When choosing 8x MSAA, then it is fine :-/ Tested with PMDG 777.

Yep. That's my findings as well... SSAA simply kills performance with Dynamic Lights.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Turn off DL and just fly during the day. I'm not entirely kidding. The night environment in FSX/P3D is so bad that it's not worth it anyway. And all of the fancy scenery we buy: why waste it flying at night?

Anyway, one more AA setting you might try is 8x MSAA in P3D and then 4x SGSS in NI. Use something like MSI Afterburner to track usage between that combo and 8x or 4x SSAA in P3D. Don't just concentrate on FPS (at least early on). Find your baseline GPU usage in a test scenario (add some cloud layers in for good measure) and then find an AA setting/combination that looks good to your eyes (and in concert with your monitor resolution) but that leaves your GPU enough headroom. You do not want a bound GPU... GPU binding into your FPS, IMO, is much more constrictive and irritating to frame-times than CPU binding.

To be honest, I'll rather turn down AA than disabling DL. But I will take a look at it :-)

Jan Podlipsky

2xMSAA with 4K looks great.... I cannot really see a difference to 4xSSAA

I use 4xmsaa with a 4k tv

With i7 4790k and 2x titan sc sli 6gb each

Get flickering on fsdt buikding and light poles

4xsaa rapes fps