Sign in to follow this  
Mitch24

Split Scimitars for the NGX

On 7/11/2017 at 7:58 PM, PMDG777 said:

Read my above post, Yes a majority have them. I don't even fly my -800 because it just seems inaccurate even my AI have them now lol. 

20 minutes ago, PlainandSimplePaints said:

don't even fly my -800 because it just seems inaccurate

Have you ever flown a B738 with SSWs?

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

11 hours ago, PlainandSimplePaints said:

Yes multiple times

I did not realize you were rated in the B738?

If so, then you know there is no difference in the way they fly other than having a slightly lower crosswind limit. 

blaustern

18 hours ago, PlainandSimplePaints said:

I don't even fly my -800 because it just seems inaccurate

Looks pretty accurate from my perspective.

9gDr37m.jpg

• Upvote 2

FWIW

I flew SWA MSP to Orlando a few weeks back, 4 flights. Sitting at the gate waiting to see which 737 I would get a seat on (hoping to fly on a Split Scimitar variant) I was disappointed that that the majority of the 737's I saw did not have Split Scimitars. (of the 4 planes I flew on, they were all Canyon Blue liveries). Even watching the SWA fleet cycling through Midway for the 3 hours I was laid over, most were non Split Scimitars.

I don't know what the actual stats are, but from what my eyes observed it's probably more realistic for line pilots to fly in a 737 without Split Scimitars then one with.

2 hours ago, Nick Dobda said:

Sitting at the gate waiting to see which 737 I would get a seat on (hoping to fly on a Split Scimitar variant) I was disappointed that that the majority of the 737's I saw did not have Split Scimitars.

I don’t understand why you would be disappointed if the plane you rode in didn’t have a particular type of winglet? You still got from point A to point B, no? Suppose it didn’t have a winglet at all, you wouldn’t decline the flight would you?

I personally don’t see the big deal about the winglet types and why people are so hung up on it. Can someone explain the fascination behind this? I understand the reasoning behind the different types of winglets just not why so many users here are so fixated on them.

Sean Campbell 

• Upvote 3

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

29 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I personally don’t see the big deal about the winglet types and why people are so hung up on it. Can someone explain the fascination behind this? I understand the reasoning behind the different types of winglets just not why so many users here are so fixated on them.

Phew...I thought I was the only one who didn't get it!  lol!

• Upvote 2

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

32 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I understand the reasoning behind the different types of winglets just not why so many users here are so fixated on them.

I'm amazed they haven't started complaining about the lights on the nitrogen inerting system.  ROFL

blaustern

Edited by Bluestar

21 hours ago, Bluestar said:

Have you ever flown a B738 with SSWs?

blaustern

Miss understood your question, no I havent I'm will aware there isn't much difference if any. They do limit some of the capabilities (atleast for SWA). Just confirmed with a PHX ramper 45-60% have SSW. 

I play beer league hockey with a couple of SWA captains, I'll ask. 

blaustern

I don't even fly my -800 because it just seems inaccurate

:blink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

13 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I don’t understand why you would be disappointed if the plane you rode in didn’t have a particular type of winglet?

Zomething different.

I was disappointed that I didn't get to fly on a special livery, or the heart one livery... and disappointed that I didn't get to ride in a MAX.

I still loved the flight, but why is it hard to understand that folks with a hobby for commercial flight have personal preferences when it comes to plane types?

I loved to fly on the chromed out USAir 737s with no winglets back in the late 90s too - thought the dark blue livery was boring.

Nice hat.

16 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I'm probably not as "hardcore" about this as most, but for me, it comes down to "what's new and out there".  When you go to the airport, most of the shiny new NG's have the SSW.  We spend a lot of money on this hobby and this plane, so why not want the newest/current model out there?  I understand why PMDG does not want to go through the development for such a minor change, but I also understand the consumer demand.  The current NGX feels very 2000's (which is fine for the most part), but it is not unreasonable to want a plane that more closely resembles what we see in the real world

Think about if you were a car lover, and the racing game you've invested hundreds in does not have any cars from within the last 10 years.  Would it be wrong to want new cars?  Race/sports cars aren't significantly better than they were 10 years ago, but we'd still want them