Sign in to follow this  
SaxTeacher

Yoke/throttle/pedals hardware on a budget

Hello - new avsim member here.

Today I installed MSFS X and vPilot for the first time and am preparing to make my first flight using VATSIM.
Now I need to get a yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder pedals. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about flight sim hardware, other than that it will be difficult to do this within my budget (I need to keep my total expenditure under $100). I am hoping that I will be able to find used hardware of "good-enough" quality (perhaps buy buying it from someone who's upgrading to fancier hardware and no longer needs their "good-enough" stuff.)

Background info: I am a real-world flight instructor and have a son who is beginning to learn the basics from me in the airplane. I'm installing MSFS so that he can get additional practice and use VATSIM. I've spent a few years as a VATSIM controller and feel that flying MSFS with VATSIM communications should shorten the number of (very expensive) hours we will spend on flight training the airplane once he is 15.

1. Is there an existing forum thread or article that I could reference, that gives recommendations and be-sure-to-avoid-this-one information about flight sim hardware? I know I'll be spending far less than many serious FS enthusiasts, but I don't want to get stuck with some substandard piece of hardware.

2. Is there a forum or for-sale board (on avsim.com or elsewhere) that would be a good place for me to search for used equipment?

3. Any specific recommendations on a good brand/model (one that has good value and good-enough quality) would be welcomed.

Thank you!

Luckily you have almost 1 stop shopping here on AVSIM:

Q1. https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/328-hardware-controllers-joysticks-drivers/

Q2. https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/513-classified-ads-want-ads-swap-meet/

Q3. It will be hard to do for less than $100, if you want rudder pedals.  You can use a joystick with a twist rudder control, such as the Logitech Extreme 3DPro or the Thrustmaster T16000m.  If you look on Amazon, they frequently have the T16000m plus a separate throttle (HOTAS) setup for close to $100.  The throttle has a flappy paddle you can use for rudders instead of twisting the joystick.

What you want is going to start around $180 and go up to thousands.

Stephen Forsgren

The best you're going to manage if you absolutely insist on controls which match those of a real light aircraft, but which won't break the bank, is Saitek Rudder pedals and a Saitek Yoke and Throttle. These are about the cheapest decent quality controllers you can get hold of. They will allow you to simulate the full range of control surface and engine controls of a light aircraft. But the fact is, you're going to be hard-pressed to find those for sale at anywhere near your proposed budget of 100 Dollars. Realistically, you'd need to double that budget (at least), and even then you'll be looking at used stuff for that kind of money.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If you're looking to fly around in-sim practicing navigation and RT procedures with realistic ATC (VATSIM) then you may get by with a joystick & throttle setup, however as the others have said, you may have grave difficulty in staying within your budget if you want a proper light aircraft setup of yoke, throttle and pedals.

For a joystick, I find the Thrustmaster HOTAS X perfectly suits my needs & budget - the rudder paddle on the front of the throttle is proportional and works well....but you can't stick your feet on it of course...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thank you for the advice! I found someone selling his used saitek gear (yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals) on ebay. You were right that I would need to increase my budget. Ended up spending $200 for these three items, but it seemed this was the least expensive possible option.

Could I get comments from experienced flight simmers about whether I should stick with FSX, or whether it will be necessary to change to something else (FSX Steam or P3D or something else) in order to get satisfactory simulation. 

If P3D, what is the best way to buy that?
- can it be bought used? or is that against the law or a bad idea
- is it available from more than one source?
- are there different versions available at different prices? Perhaps I can get v3 somewhere for less now that v4 is available?

thanks for any advice!

1 hour ago, SaxTeacher said:

If P3D, what is the best way to buy that?
- can it be bought used? or is that against the law or a bad idea
- is it available from more than one source?
- are there different versions available at different prices? Perhaps I can get v3 somewhere for less now that v4 is available?

thanks for any advice!

You're not going to be able to buy it used, and I'm not sure where else you can get it other than Lockheed Martin's site. There's three different versions for three different prices, which is outlined on their site.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.