Sign in to follow this  
Guest Coneman

Twin Otter by Eric Dantes

Guest Vilk

looks like an excellent model, textures and detail are among the best, and i would love to take it for spin, but the gauges in the VC... has anyone found a way to make these default fs bitmaps look like they do in other models? surely there is some wizardry at work here...thanks!vilkps. both pictures are VC zoomed in to 1.5twin otterhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141300.jpgdefault 172http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141301.jpg

Hello Vilk,yes there is an easy way to adjust the resolution of the gauges.Just open the panel.cfg and search the (VCockpitxx) section:(VCockpit01)size_mm=512,512pixel_size=512,512 <----- Resolution of the gaugestexture=$C172s_1background_color=0,0,0Now you can adjust the resolution by changing the parameter pixel_size=512,512 to 1024,1024 or 2048,2048.The virtual cockpit of the Twin Otter looks really great!!GreetingsTim

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Guest aca_dia

Is this a new one or is it the one in the library from 2004?

Guest Rockcliffe

>Is this a new one or is it the one in the library from 2004?It's been around since FS2002, updated to FS9. It has been, and remains, one of my most frequent rides.BlairCYOW

There's also a design issue in FSDS 2. In fact, I've tried to contact Eric Dantes about another project and my emails to his last known email address are getting kicked back. I have the Otter and I thought about making this suggestion to him since it was created in FSDS 2. I don't know if it's true of GMAX as well, but in FSDS 2 the help text tries to suggest using a square poly, or series of square polys, for the virtual panel projection part. I found through trial and error that I can get incredibly sharp gauges by manipulating the projection poly so it's height and width outlines the extent of the gauges I am trying to project, often resulting in a rectangular poly. Probably my most recent example of this technique is with the update I did for the Flight Designs CT that's here in Avsim's library. Even at low res display settings for the VC, those gauges are pretty sharp with no fps hit.-John

Guest Vilk

it would mean that with no interest on the part of mr. dantes, there is nothing we can do... so sad to have to chuck such an exquisite model, especially thinking how much work went into it. with this one issue fixed this crate would become a legend!thanks allvilk

Oh no, what a waist! This one has every chance to be a good plane, but the fabric on the chair is 4 times as sharp as the gauges :-hmmm.It even has only one vc section, so the refresh rate is top notch. How about having two sections, would that make the gauges sharper? They would be fast enough for this slowish plane anyway.Someone, please fix this, I wanna put Flightline T into this one and get a new Twotter :-jumpy Eagle

Guest dogknot

>There's also a design issue in FSDS 2. In fact, I've tried>to contact Eric Dantes about another project and my emails to>his last known email address are getting kicked back. >>-John>> Don't know which e-mail addy you have for Eric, but there is a different one from the others that came with the readmes. Maybe it will work for you. (?)http://www.e-d-aviation.com/scroll to the bottom of the pageMe contacterCliquer ici

Thanks, That is a different address than the one I used before--I will give it a try!-John

Guest Vilk

plz plz let us know how it goes. fingers crossed. vilk

If the res. trick didn't work for you, I do have another means perhaps of improving the cockpit res, but I'll have to look at my install of the Twin Otter to see if I can make a go of it. I may not even need the source to make that change. If I don't reply back to the thread by Friday, please send me a PM to remind me. If it works I'll be able to post the update to the panel.cfg here that would be needed.-John

Guest Vilk

thanks, john. i'll try the res trick again ("again" being a massive understatement :-))i suspect part of the problem may be the fact that he downsizes the default gauges significantly to have them fit on the poly, but then they get enlarged again when you're in the cockpit. if you do something like this in photoshop, you lose a lot of information and definition, which would be consistent with the observations herethanks againvilk

Just read this thread . I agree that , if the gauge resolution/clarity of the Dantes Twin Otter could be improved , it would take on a new life. It is an excellent model - but , as I fly exclusively from the VC, it hurts my eyes!! :) It is not the only really good model that suffers from this however.Barry