Sign in to follow this  
pilotalihoteit

Terrain Radar Issue

Hello everyone,

I just did a flight from Vancouver to Toronto using the 777-300 and I believe there's an issue with the terrain radar because the terrain isn't displayed properly on the ND. Can anyone try this and confirm? i'm using p3d v4 by the way.

Ali Hoteit

9 minutes ago, cedarjetboy said:

Hello everyone,

I just did a flight from Vancouver to Toronto using the 777-300 and I believe there's an issue with the terrain radar because the terrain isn't displayed properly on the ND. Can anyone try this and confirm? i'm using p3d v4 by the way.

Ali Hoteit

Hi Ali,

Any chance of a screen shot showing your issue, without that there's not much to go by.

It is working properly, as Chris eluded to, there's no chance of helping you without a lot more information about your problem.

Dan Downs KCRP

Terrain display, by the way. Radar implies the surface is being read in real time, which it isn't (both in our product and in the real world). It's simply a database of elevation information.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Ali,

I see you have your display at 320 NM when on the ground. All terrain that is a certain threshold above your current altitude is marked as red. Since the airport is at sea level, it is easy to trip the red color, and the yellow one. That is why you are seeing so much red. Try reducing your scale. The ND/TERR is not meant to be at 320 NM for takeoff anyways. There's no limitation, but it makes sense as you want to follow your departure path.

Cheers,

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

39 minutes ago, cedarjetboy said:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t16/ali1233/New Bitmap Image.jpg

Here you go guys, It seems to me that the terrain elevation is displayed wrong (all red)

Ali Hoteit

Considering you're in Vancouver looking roughly east, i'd say that's a pretty accurate depiction since Vancouver is surrounded by mountains to the east!

Yeah, looks okay to me.

The filter shows that the red is 14,000 or so, and you're well below that. As such, its indication that the terrain is well above you (red), is correct.

What is your thought process in determining that it is incorrect in its display of the terrain as you've shown?

Kyle Rodgers

That is true, it is a mountainous region, however I find it odd that in a radius of 320 nm, the highest elevation is flat at 14300 almost everywhere. When I used it in V3, it was not like that at all, it was much more reasonable with red peaks, yellow, and green shades around them.

Ali Hoteit

16 minutes ago, cedarjetboy said:

That is true, it is a mountainous region, however I find it odd that in a radius of 320 nm, the highest elevation is flat at 14300 almost everywhere. When I used it in V3, it was not like that at all, it was much more reasonable with red peaks, yellow, and green shades around them.

Please take a moment to run through the Intro Manual, specific to the section on aircraft options. In this specific case, refer to the section in the Intro Manual that discusses the option between the terrain being displayed in PEAKS ONLY mode, or not.

Kyle Rodgers