Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Holger and Jonathan's LOD 10 Alpine Mesh

Hi,If you want to try a challenging flight, go to Interlaken (LSMI), board RealAir's SF-260 take off and climb to breast the peaks of the mountains to the south. Travel up the valley towards Wengen and, once you find an area with sufficient clearance, perform several climbing turns to get to altitude. Remember to lean the mixture as you go.Mike

Hi Mike,thanks for the nice words and interesting story. I too have great memories of family holidays in the Alps, which was a big part of my motivation to compile Jonathan's data. Speaking of: I'll relate your thanks to Jonathan as well.I'm currently helping Allen Kriesman with beta testing of the upcoming "Ultimate Terrain Europe", a payware landscape package that completely replaces the default road system, water bodies, parts of the landclass. It also has some additional features, like the 3D night lights. UT doesn't come with its own mesh files and our Alps mesh seems to be a great match ;-)There are lots of preview screenshots in the UT forum - http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=19&PN=0 - so UT might be something to look into to complement our mesh files. Release should be within the next few weeks.Cheers, Holger

Hi John,"Is Roads 'n Rivers a payware product?....yes it is, but if you're interested you might be better off waiting for the UT release - see Holger's post.The big problem is that these releases (like R&ROE and there's another one called, I believe, All Rivers of Europe) tend to be based around the default FS9.I live near Edinburgh in Scotland and have the fantastic ScotFlight Scenery (Iain Gallagher) installed. R&ROE ruins it for me and I have had to devise a number of workarounds to be able to switch between both. Unfortunately you can't just enable/disable the scenery areas in the library as the R&ROE installer substitutes many customized files in place of FS9's defaults. These remain in place even though R&ROE and it's LandClass/Land and Water masks are disabled. The result is an unsightly mess as these files continue to conflict with Iain's carefully crafted shorelines.The solution is to identify the conflicting files, remove them and rename the corresponding files disabled by R&ROE back to their .bgl file extensions and your in business. This, however is only really workable by creating batch files to do the back and forth switching for you. It works for me but it is far from being ideal. I don't know what I would have done without Jim Keir's LWMViewer as it makes the identification of the relevant files relatively straightforward.I'm not sure how UT Europe will fit into all this. I suspect I will be faced with similar problems. It may be the UT developers should get together with Iain and devise an easy way to switch between the two, at least as far as Scotland is concerned - hint, hint ;) I'm crossing my fingers at this point.Cheers,Mike

Guest Peter Sidoli

HolgerI do not have UT Europe but have been thinking of getting it. Are you saying there is a new version due out?Is it better for me to wait for that?Again thanks for your superb work Peter

Trouble is, there's no substitute for digging deep in your pocket and getting Switzerland Professional, you won't regret it, especially if' like myself, you've had woderful holidays there. Here's the Moench, Eiger and Jungfrau. John

Guest Peter Sidoli

JohnMy only problem with that is that the Alps cover more than just Switzerland with France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Slovenia all taking parts of that chain of mountains.I would love to have the whole chain in extreme detail not part.The other problem with part is the boundary areas of the part you have would clash visually with the rest.Peter

Hi John,"there's no substitute for digging deep in your pocket and getting Switzerland Professional".....beautiful image! Brought a lump to my throat, so it did :)Here's what I'm seeing:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141349.jpgPretty close, don't you think, considering the resolution is 38 metres?MikeEdit: Actually, the sky should be a darker blue at that altitude. If I'd had the presence of mind before capturing the image ActiveSky Graphics would have fixed that as well. We have the tools but often forget to use them in the heat of the moment ;) Maybe I repressed this observation as my face got badly sunburnt while I was out in the snow behind the Jungfraujoch - my stupidity and consequently something I'd rather forget!

Yes Mike, that's pretty good, especially for free. I agree with what you say about the crossover regions, summer textures in Swiss Pro to default winter looks very weird. I have Austria Pro too but again that's not as good as Swiss Pro. http://www.francevfr.com/ are supposed to be doing the French Alps, screenshots in their forum look good. Mont Blanc looks very good now though with Holgers mesh.By the way, have you tried the approaches into Sion and Lugano, both have very steep glide slopes. Fs2004's limitations make Sion particularly difficult as you have to start descending before the glide slope becomes active, I've been trying to perfect it over the last few days in the ATR but I'm not there yet.John

Hi there,I have been circling above the Flylogic Website (Switzerland Pro) but have yet to take the plunge. Maybe one of these days...Nice photos, guys! I got inspired and attached two of mine below using Active Sky and the UT Europe Beta (which is a brand new product, Peter).I'm not familiar with the other commercial roads/waters packages, like Raimondo's Roads and Rivers of Europe or FSQuality's All Roads of Europe so can't really compare them. What I like about Ultimate Terrain is that it combines so many features into a single package and that those feautures are highly configurable. Makes sense for a region that already has lots of add-ons on the market.Notice the night lights in the mountain village in the dawn shot; they should work even with Switzerland Pro as they are 3D objects not textures.BTW, our mesh file is compiled at 38 meters but the source data are currently 90-m resolution. No chance for competing with the 20-m Switzerland Pro mesh but it's the accuracy of Jonathan's data that gives them the "edge" (pun intended) over most other mesh files.Cheers, Holgerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141363.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/141364.jpg

Hi John,"have you tried the approaches into Sion and Lugano, both have very steep glide slopes......Yes I've been having fun at Lugano and in fact posted about same a few days ago:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchYou might like to try the flight situation attached to my main post. Switch to any a/c you like after loading the flight - it's a lot harder in the heavies. Oops, I've just checked and it appears I broke the forum rules and got my fingers rapped. :(Will give Sion a go.Cheers,Mike

Me again,to balance the ads for payware ;-) here's a list of freeware landclass files that I use for the Alps:Germany - Frank Bart - http://www.germany-vfr.de/Landscape/LScape...lass_Update.htm Austria - Frank Barth - austrialc.zip (Avsim)Switzerland - Ernst Bosshard - ebch3tot.zip (Avsim)France - Arnaud Clere - http://www.francesim.com/Articles.a...1243&Cpt=-1 or http://arnaud.clere.free.fr/wikini/...LandclassFranceItaly - "Landpack" - http://www.aliditalia.com/itlndpkdownload.htmlEach of these I placed in a separate add-on folder and the order of entries in the scenery library is the same as listed above. Thus, the Germany landclass is at the top of the group and the Italy landclass at the bottom. I do that because some packages overlap each other and I wanted to ensure that the more accurate version overwrites the less accurate.Cheers, Holger

That IS a flight. I have been doing that flight in FS up that valley ever since I visited the place a few years ago.I've been all over the Bernese Oberland. Did you ever go to Murren? It's a town that's only accessible by cog rail. It's the opposite of Rome--"all roads lead to rome"--Well, "No roads lead to Murren". It's near Wengen. The new mesh captures the steep sides of the Lauterbrunnen Valley nearly perfectly.As far as Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau go, I made SRTM mesh of them, and this looks about the same. However, imo the Matterhorn is MUCH improved from the base SRTM data. So is the Schilthorn and Birg, the other peaks near the big 3.Rhett

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Rhett,"Did you ever go to Murren? It's a town that's only accessible by cog rail. It's the opposite of Rome--"all roads lead to rome"--Well, "No roads lead to Murren". It's near Wengen."......sure did. In fact, if I remember correctly, from Wengen you can see the cog railway ascending almost vertically on the opposite side of the valley.Visiting the revolving restaurant at the top of the Schilthorn was another exciting experience. The only access, unless your feeling fit enough to climb, is by cable car. Sure put the wind up me looking down as we crossed that last valley before arrival. I believe a major sequence in one of the Bond movies was filmed there - On her Majesty's Secret Service (1969).We had to do the trip through and up the Eiger on two occasions. We went far too late in the day on the first occasion and the forming clouds obscured the valleys below. The second time we went early in the morning and the air was crystal clear making the views quite breathtaking - I don't think I'll ever forget it. Remember Clint Eastwood's exploits in the 'Eiger Sanction'? We stopped partway up and walked through a short tunnel to THE window where the drama took place. Looked very dangerous!Cheers,Mike