Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Some graphics setting adjustment advice needed.

As much as I am enjoying V4 - it is truly an amazing experience -  i have some issues with flashing building textures at airports, and the dreaded hard edge mist line on mountains as well as hard line shading on my aircraft externally.  The transition from the lit side of the fuselage to the shaded side has a definite hard edge to it.

I'm sure this is just a simple graphics setting adjustment, but not sure what it is.  I don't use Nvidia inspector - I'm only using in sim settings.  I haven't adjusted any settings in Nvidia CP either.   I installed a new 1080Ti this weekend which is superb, deleted shaders, installed new drivers, and a new PTA preset (superb).  However, the hard edges and flashing airport building textures remain.

FYI - the hard line and flashing texture issue was there with my 980Ti as well.   I should know how to sort this out by now, but the goalposts keep changing with graphics utilities and settings

Currently using 1080Ti GTX, 2048 textures, 2xSSAA, 16xAF, all sliders at about 75% to max

cheers

Can you post some pictures of the "lightning / world" Page within P3D v4? 

Philipp Schwaegerl

6 hours ago, ErichB said:

i have some issues with flashing building textures at airports

In FSX, turning off ground scenery shadows under Scenery Objects fixed this problem.  It definitely is a shadow issue so I would play with those settings in P3DV4.  Perhaps if you turn off buildings receiving shadows?

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 minute ago, Jim Young said:

In FSX, turning off ground scenery shadows under Scenery Objects fixed this problem.  It definitely is a shadow issue so I would play with those settings in P3DV4.  Perhaps if you turn off buildings receiving shadows?

Best regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim - I'll check the setting this evening.  It probably is something that simple I am sure.

6 hours ago, ErichB said:

Currently using 1080Ti GTX, 2048 textures, 2xSSAA, 16xAF, all sliders at about 75% to max

cheers

Try 4XSSAA and 8XAF as a test.. works better for me..

• Upvote 1

Bert

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Try 4XSSAA and 8XAF as a test.. works better for me..

Hi Bert,,

Interesting... just wondering, what GPU are you using w/your P3Dv4 setup?

Mike

23 minutes ago, orbmis said:

Hi Bert,,

Interesting... just wondering, what GPU are you using w/your P3Dv4 setup?

Mike

GTX770.

Bert

Right, so I tried all the suggestions above and although helpful, have not resolved my issue.  I definitely have a texturing issue of some kind.  

My jetways and airport buildings are flashing in some parts, there are hard lines separating texture shadings from one another.  As I was doing a 'walkaround' of my 747 last night, i noticed that my pilot looked like Freddy Kruger - truly the most horrific pilot face you have ever seen:

Face

So there's definitely something up and I'm not sure what it is

Your Sim looks a bit blueish and strange. Can you provide any kind of picture with the whole aircraft on a clear evening? I don't know any settings in the sim what probably causes this kind of issue.

Philipp Schwaegerl

33 minutes ago, Zuendholz said:

Your Sim looks a bit blueish and strange. Can you provide any kind of picture with the whole aircraft on a clear evening? I don't know any settings in the sim what probably causes this kind of issue.

The pic was taken with my iphone which tends to overly blue the picture.   The whole aircraft looks good, from a distance.  The pics look horrid, but i've done that intentionally to highlight the textures. You don't really notice the anomalies unless you look closely enough.  But it's still not right so something is amiss.  The overall sim looks really good.  I'm very pleased with everything.  The problems stem from flashing airport textures and the specific hardline texturing issues described here.

35013296894_99dde88bf3_b.jpg35812926436_b39a79fbe4_b.jpg

Nothing to do with iPhone. There is definitely something amiss with either the card or your settings. It looks posterised. Try taking a screenshot with the default screenshot utility. Not sure if P3D has one. FSX does and it's simply a matter of hitting the V key.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

23 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

Nothing to do with iPhone. There is definitely something amiss with either the card or your settings. It looks posterised. Try taking a screenshot with the default screenshot utility. Not sure if P3D has one. FSX does and it's simply a matter of hitting the V key.

I know, but not at PC now.  Will have a look at it this eve. cheers

5 hours ago, speedyTC said:

Same for P3D

Bert

20 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

GTX770.

Hmmmm..interesting. If I may, what CPU are you running with?

Much appreciated.