Sign in to follow this  
colfmedion

OOMS

HI,

Been running FSX for years and for last couple of years have not had any problems with OOMS despite what I throw at FSX and I do throw a lot at it. About 2 months ago started to get OOMS again. Not added anything for FSX for a very long time. The VAS monitor shows RED and full on initial splash screen which is very strange. Have tried running FSX barebones but makes no difference. I am going to rebuild FSX but just thought I would post this to see if anyone else has had this problem.

How much RAM do you have?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

There are some suggestions in the AVSIM CTD Guide too.  High settings, bad tweaks, too much photoscenery are all possibilities.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Have had similar problems with OOM lately.  Sometimes it crashes OOM when loading a flight, and I know its not actually an OOM problem because the VAS monitor shows 1.5 - 2.0 Gb left.  I sometimes get whats known as "StackHash" fault and I believe that requires a complete re-install of windows.  I stand to be corrected on that one, maybe there is a way around it. 

Bob Palmer

Bob Palmer

The AVSIM CTD Guide has info on a StackHash.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

My situation has just got worse. Did uninstall of FSX and formatted SSD to reinstall but only get "repair or remove" neither of which works because there is nothing to repair or remove. Reg is completely  free of FSX. Have spent last 4 hours searching Web to find a solution but so far no luck.

1 hour ago, colfmedion said:

My situation has just got worse. Did uninstall of FSX and formatted SSD to reinstall but only get "repair or remove" neither of which works because there is nothing to repair or remove. Reg is completely  free of FSX. Have spent last 4 hours searching Web to find a solution but so far no luck.

Is fsx on a different drive? If so its possible you may have accidently downloaded or partially downloaded to c drive and the registry is showing its still there. Cant think of any other reason because your drive was formatted so it cant be that drive thats causing the problem

ZORAN

Since you already trashed FSX a clean Windows install would probably be your best bet. Clears out all the crud that amasses on your boot drive and you can streamline your computer as well and just use what you need.

I recently had to go to Win10 because of my browsers not being supported any longer and causing me issues with connectivity, viewing and what-have-you. I made a note of the programmes, passwords and settings I was using and that I had to use with the new build and my bookmarks as well and saved all my important data to an external drive. If you have a web based email account that makes things even easier since you don't need to perform surgery to get all your old mails back (stuff that may contain receipts of purchase, serial numbers etc). I use Thunderbird so a bit of fancy footwork was needed to get all my old folders and emails back into the new client. I'm leery of "migration assistants"so manual was the way to go for me.

It's a pain but the safest bet. Best of luck!

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

4 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

Since you already trashed FSX a clean Windows install would probably be your best bet. Clears out all the crud that amasses on your boot drive and you can streamline your computer as well and just use what you need.

I recently had to go to Win10 because of my browsers not being supported any longer and causing me issues with connectivity, viewing and what-have-you. I made a note of the programmes, passwords and settings I was using and that I had to use with the new build and my bookmarks as well and saved all my important data to an external drive. If you have a web based email account that makes things even easier since you don't need to perform surgery to get all your old mails back (stuff that may contain receipts of purchase, serial numbers etc). I use Thunderbird so a bit of fancy footwork was needed to get all my old folders and emails back into the new client. I'm leery of "migration assistants"so manual was the way to go for me.

It's a pain but the safest bet. Best of luck!

Agreed, And your machine will be much more efficient

ZORAN

Hi All,

Thanks for all responses. Have still been messing about with FSX but hole just seems to get bigger and bigger. I am loathe to do a clean install of Windows but I am sure you are right so here goes and see you on the other side!!!!

Hi, Absolute nightmare. Took the usual 4 days of sheer frustration to get clean install of OS and FSX but finally managed it. Very shortly after got the dreaded OOMS and this is OS and FSX loaded on a different machine. Loaded OS and FSX on original machine (clean installs) and instead of getting OOMS got a total crash of the PC. Took me 3 days but finally got PC again. FSX had completely disappeared so figured that the SSD for FSX was faulty. Got FSX installed on another SSD and managed a Flight of about 20 minutes before getting OOMS. Reformatted and thoroughly checked original FSX SSD and no faults found so copied FSX to that. As soon as I ran FSX as scenery was loaded got OOMS. Removed that SSD and tried again with original FSX but with same result!!!!! As you can imagine PC was coming very close to going out of the window but too much money invested to do that. So, all I can do now is go to absolute bare bones of FSX and build up and hope for best.

Did you install the 64 bit version of Windows?  And, what version of Windows? Windows 7?  Windows 8?  Windows 10?  FSX will run on a 32 bit operating system but better on a 64 bit operating system.

You are correct, it is a nightmare.  You really have not given us enough information to diagnose your issue.  Please use the AVSIM CTD Guide and follow the instructions for submitting a crash report and/or Event Viewer Report (see pages 6 and 7 for the link to the AppCrashView software and images on how to check your Event Viewer).  Since you reinstalled Windows you should download and run a driver update program like Driver Booster (see page 14).  Whenever you reinstall Windows, it wipes out the drivers that were installed with your computer.  Windows has some of the drivers and installs drivers for them when you install Windows but not all of them. 

Reinstalling Windows is no fun for sure but you could have used the suggestion in the AVSIM CTD Guide for running the Windows Repair Program (page 23).  It brings your Windows program back to the default settings and fixes any corrupt registry.  It does not mess with any programs already installed on your computer such as FSX or any of the FSX add-ons.  It just fixes Windows.

I think there's a problem with your SSD.  It is properly trimmed right - https://www.google.com/search?q=trimming+an+ssd&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8?  If you reinstalled Windows and then FSX and all of your add-ons, then it has to be hardware related such as your memory simms on the Motherboard not properly seated or destroyed.  That's just one suggestion.  Getting the proper drivers for your SATA controllers and many other drivers that were updated since the release of Windows might help too.  If there is not enough space on your SSD or HDD, then Windows cannot allocate VAS and FSX needs a lot of space for running properly.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

System is as follows;

Intel Core i7-4770K at 3500.0MHZ with 4400 MHZ Boost
MOBO - ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO with USB 3 Ports
Memory - 2 x 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 2400 MHZ
Video Card:   Zotac GeForce GTX 980 TI GDDR5                                                  
Monitor - SAMSUNG U28d590 4K Ultra High Definition
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit on SSD
FSX Deluxe with Acceleration on its own SSD
Sound Blaster  Z Audio Card

Had FSX on 256GB SSD and Windows 10 on 120 GB SSD with  other programs on a Partition on a 1 TB HD.

System checks and Driver Updates carried out at least once per week.

Further checks on SSDs revealed that all was well.

Windows Diagnostic check on memory confirmed all was well.

It got to the stage where I was getting OOMS as FSX was loading air, land and sea traffic!!!

I have now put FSX on 120 GB SSD. with Windows 10 64Bit  on a separate 120 GB SSD  with a partition for other programs. The 2 normal HDs I had installed for Music, Photos and Backups have now been disabled until I can check them but previous checks revealed nothing untoward. This all happened yesterday and I have just got as far as loading an aircraft and flight with no OOMS.

I have just downloaded copy of AVSIM CTD Guide which I will study.

I too think I have a hardware problem but it is a question of finding it if it exists. I will be checking the original SSDs I was using  for OS and FSX and if okay I will revert to them because it gives more room on each.

This is all going to take me quite a while but I will post at some point with the outcome.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Regards

Colin

• Upvote 1

Spent the last 3 days carrying out all the checks I could think of - Memory, SSD, HDD, etc. Have uninstalled, reinstalled FSX several times. Have reformatted drives and completed a completely fresh FSX installation today. I have reloaded a very few of my add ons (nothing compared to what I had before when everything was okay). FSX loaded fine and I did a flight of about 30 minutes into Heathrow. As I got to the gate I got the OOMS and cessation of FSX. I immediately check Event Viewer and there were 2 events at the time I got OOMS, events I have never noticed before - "iaStorA Event 129". It means absolutely nothing to me and after googling it it still doesn't mean any thing other than, as I said before, I have never noted this type of error before.

The following is a copy of the event:

Log Name:      System
Source:        iaStorA
Date:          24/07/2017 14:12:17
Event ID:      129
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Colins-PC1
Description:
Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="iaStorA" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32772">129</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-07-24T13:12:17.161680100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>29796</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Colins-PC1</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>\Device\RaidPort0</Data>
    <Binary>0F001800010000000000000081000480010000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000005000000810004800000000000000000</Binary>
  </EventData>
</Event>.

I notice the word RAID. All I can say on that is that I do not have a RAID setup for any of my Drives.

The only other thing I have noted is that my Reset button of the PC Case does not to appear to be functioning.

Any advice would be much appreciated.