Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

And, off we go to New Zealand...

Spain and Portugal are now in the bag,

Just started generating the South and North island at ARC zl18/19/2.  This should be fun!

Post Edit: "By the way, if you want to catch both islands, it needs 64 tiles to do it."...

• Upvote 1

Mitch, just a warning, around the center of the North Island there are quite a few clouds, but I found the rest of it pretty good quality. ZL18 though, wow. I'm struggling to find space for ZL17 :D

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

Mitch, just a warning, around the center of the North Island there are quite a few clouds, but I found the rest of it pretty good quality. ZL18 though, wow. I'm struggling to find space for ZL17 :D

Hi Tony...well, I thought that I would try zl18 for all of New Zealand, but when I cut two test tiles and tried to view them, I had the infamous 'could not find blah-blah texture. So....I figured there was bad or missing zl18 .jpg files on that server. I then stopped the process and started again, to re-cut with zl17 with ARC. So...here is where I currently am in generation as of this posting time. I have the storage space fortunately, and will recut back to zl18, at a later date, (will source out a viable zl18 source by test-sniffing) but for now, I like your grabs, and want to fly there as well.  Everywhere else, zl17 is just killer, so I have no disappointments happening because I will view for the start of my New Zealand fly-overs at a gorgeous zl17/19/2. 

I haven't taken any flights yet from the entire Spain and Portugal tile collection, as you got me 'hungry' for New Zealand...(LOL). I'm starting to get an element of being 'tile-greedy' LOL!

What I really find a great feature of this program, is that you are NOT limited in ZL factors to one or another. You only need the storage capacity. So...after I get some great flights at zl17/19/2 (of which I always will generate as my 'burnt in' generation recipe, I will then start dropping in zl18/19/2, tile by tile, and then take a test flight within that tile...and...if it is a full successful load-in by XP11, will then merely turn on Clean unused DDS/TER Files and do a fast Step 3 re-cut...which as you know ( I type here for other followers for their understanding,not yours...) will totally delete all the zl17 ARC files from off of my storage medium, and leave me a viable zl18 tile as stand-alone.

So...that's my usual M.O. now...enjoy for the fast thrill...and then dig deeper, to replace with a higher zl factor the runs that I am finding I fly  time-after-time, North America, as well as Western Europe.

Because I have 47 TB's of total storage, and Tony, I've only used up, around 12 TB's so far...(at my zl17/19/2) for both North American and Western Europe (at present), I might start re-cutting my all-time favorite flight routes, at a full zl19/x/x, and have simply the best visuals that can be had within XP11, driven by my EVGA FTW 1070 graphics card. Why not, huh?  This has been a most fantastic, and most enjoyable endeavor, that I have ever done in this hobby, other than obviously enjoying the fruits of my labors, after the tile generation marathons......:biggrin:

I run with HT on, and so, either myself, or my wife can run any other program, while my tile-generation conquest of the world (LOLOLOLOL) is happening, day and night. We found that I can do this totally in the background, while we read, cruise the Net, view movies, be on You Tube, all of it...and no performance snafu's or stutters in vids as I let my tiles rack up....  I am probably for the first time ever, really seeing, and enjoying the power of W10, for multi-tasking, that before this...was never asked of it.  It has been a flawless experience with night and day continuous tile generation of Ortho4XP in the background, as we do whatever else we want in the foreground with the computer system.

So...here's the map so far of what is what..:

almostdone3.jpg

• Upvote 1

By the way, Tony...why did you yourself, settle upon ARC as your source for zl7 generation of New Zealand. Just wondering... :)

Yep, ARC seems the best (And it's almost identical to AP, except it's faster). The Southern Alp region (Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown) just looks incredible. I've done some cloud editing by hand on a few areas to clean it up, but nothing too major.

8 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Yep, ARC seems the best (And it's almost identical to AP, except it's faster). The Southern Alp region (Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown) just looks incredible. I've done some cloud editing by hand on a few areas to clean it up, but nothing too major.

Ok, thanks for that. I am as you read, cutting with ARC as your suggested source.  I'll take a run at the North Island, and if there are cloud pods...will probably do what you did...with cut and paste using an editor. Not a hard thing to do at all. :)

Thanks,

Mitch'er

Some clouds around Palmerston North, on the very far north tip, New Plymouth and just South of Auckland, but overall it's not too bad.

11 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Imagine then what those mountains would look like with an zl18 or zl19 skin?  What is one of the worst things (it is...what it is...) about screen shot uploads, is that to do so, and stay within the host site's limits...you have to butcher and edit (dumb down) the grab, before it will be hosted.  Sort of defeats the attempt to show other viewers the mind-blowing graphics that can be achieved in XP11.  Will try with the higher zl's as I generate them...but I fear, the final 'view' will not show inveritus, what is actually being displayed on my monitor in real-time. :(

1 minute ago, tonywob said:

Some clouds around Palmerston North, on the very far north tip, New Plymouth and just South of Auckland, but overall it's not too bad.

:)!

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

What is one of the worst things (it is...what it is...) about screen shot uploads, is that to do so, and stay within the host site's limits...you have to butcher and edit (dumb down) the grab, before it will be hosted

I couldn't agree more, screenshots simply don't do it justice. I'm only using ZL17, but I'm processing my own mesh from DEM 15 data to give it some extra detail, and it's really nice looking. With the added objects and trees layer I'm currently making, it is one of the nicest regions (apart from California and Norway) that I have.

5 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I couldn't agree more, screenshots simply don't do it justice. I'm only using ZL17, but I'm processing my own mesh from DEM 15 data to give it some extra detail, and it's really nice looking. With the added objects and trees layer I'm currently making, it is one of the nicest regions (apart from California and Norway) that I have.

"Gawd...you're making me drool upon my shirt...STOP!"  :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Cheers!

7 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Clouds, ha ha, very fitting with the natives' name for the North Island :-)

http://www.newzealand.com/ie/article/new-zealand-aotearoa-the-land-of-the-long-white-cloud/

I just read this entire introduction to New Zealand...and I'M DYING NOW!.....

Wow...

I do have the South Island for FSX and P3D from Orbx, but am really looking forward to the 'real view'....high zl-factor ortho. Can't wait! Can't wait!

Mitch

Tony...I normally don't chance running XP11, while also generating in the background...but couldn't wait. Here is myself exploring on the North Island, around NZTG , having just taken off. Success!  Great views...and even so much better live on the monitor! WOW.

This is ARC at zl17/19/2....the color saturation is fantastic...and so I am not running any other saturation processing with ARC. This is the default XP11 saturation at work. Very nice!

Post Edit: Just added another two pics...just beautiful!  Very impressed.

Left-click twice on the pic, to bring it up on the screen server, to its largest view size.

Cessna_172_SP_23.png

Cessna_172_SP_24.png

Cessna_172_SP_21.png

Cessna_172_SP_22.png