Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift/Touch bundle temporarily on sale for $399

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/10/15943984/oculus-rift-touch-summer-sale-price-cut-vr-bundle

The Oculus Rift and Oculus Touch are getting a big (but temporary) price drop: for the next six weeks, the VR headset and motion controller bundle will sell for $399, nearly a $200 discount to the normal price. It’s part of Oculus’ summer-long attempt to promote the Rift, now that it’s been out for over a year. According to Oculus VP of content Jason Rubin, the sale is meant to draw people who “may have been sitting on the sideline because of price,” and entice people who may not have been considering the Rift to look at its growing app and game library.

The summer sale follows a permanent price drop this spring, when the Rift and Touch each got $100 cheaper. (This new sale doesn’t affect buying them individually — the Rift alone will still be $499, and Touch $99.) Echoing what we heard back then, Rubin promises that the current-generation Rift is still far from the end of its lifespan. “Somebody who goes out and buys a Rift [on sale] is not going to find themselves with hardware that’s outdated any time soon,” he says. “The Rift is going to be driving a lot of enjoyment for people for many years.”

Rubin says that’s because “the hardware is not holding up VR adoption. It’s price and content, and now that we've kind of gotten to the point where we feel comfortable with content, we're continuing to attack price.”

Buyers will still need a gaming computer to use the Rift, and there’s no bundle discount for them as part of this sale. However, Rubin notes that the price of an Oculus-approved PC has dropped steadily over the past year, especially after Oculus introduced a lower minimum specification — you can now get one for around $650. (The Rift also works with some gaming laptops now, which also makes it more appealing to people who have more money but don’t want a desktop.) “The PC is very quickly not becoming the expensive part of the VR equation,” he says. “And we want to make sure that the VR hardware itself isn't an expensive part of the equation. So we're headed toward mass-market pricing.”

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I'd say the discount is more because of the cheap Chinese knock-off VR headsets like the Pimax 4K gaining some media attention.

1 hour ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I'd say the discount is more because of the cheap Chinese knock-off VR headsets like the Pimax 4K gaining some media attention.

It could be, but I suspect it has more to do with the price and good consumer reception of Playstation VR

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I hadn't read much recently about the Pimax 4K and 8K until someone posted a thread here a few days ago. I think that it was pretty clever of Pimax to go, "Hey lets take a 4K panel out of a Sony Xperia Z5 smartphone and see what we can do to make a VR headset."  Some people claim it's a different smartphone panel, though, but the engineering concept is what counts. Personally, the Pimax 4K is just an intermediate step, as it still uses HDMI 1.4, so it's not exactly 2K x 2K per eye. But that's not my point. My point is that the number of manufacturers in VR hardware is increasing and that will lead to better tech and/or lower prices for consumers.

Devons rig

Well, It is such a good deal I decided to try it again in P3D v3. "Touch" arrived yesterday but the rest will get here Monday. Amazon sold them faster than they could resupply..

Neal H

Btw....Anyone know the return policy of the OCULUS store?

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Im just wondering. Is it blurry? Can I read the displays on a NGX? Also how difficult is it to find your yoke and mouse when using the headset. 

Finally I wear glasses. Are there options for me to keep my glasses on? 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

5 hours ago, OldFlyboy said:

Btw....Anyone know the return policy of the OCULUS store?

If you mean the return policy for purchased software, there is none: You buy it, it's yours forever.

Devons rig

On 13/07/2017 at 1:04 PM, warriorpilot said:

Im just wondering. Is it blurry? Can I read the displays on a NGX? Also how difficult is it to find your yoke and mouse when using the headset. 

Finally I wear glasses. Are there options for me to keep my glasses on? 

I have never used a 737 but generally the quality of the rift is dependant on what kind of graphics card you have.

At standard resolution the rift isn't the best for reading small panels, however you can render at much higher resolution than the rift screen (supersampling) which believe it or not makes a huge difference in clarity. If your hardware can code with 4k render on the rift then its pretty good. Note* Rendering at 4k on the rift is far more GPU taking than rendering on a pancake screen (as the image is actually rendered twice from different angles - one for each eye)

Even at 4K you may find small writing hard to view but you can always lean in to get a closer view.

Using a yoke/mouse in VR is pretty straight forword, and even using throttle isn't too bad (you quickly get use to finding them blind) However, if you have physical cockpit switches on your setup it can be challanging to find them.

You have to be slightly carefull that your specs don't rub against the oculus lense. The main issue with specs is the snug fit of the headset pushing against them. The two main solutions have been either get yourself some specs that are more suitable for VR (thin and flexible) or there is lenses you can buy (from a 3rd party company) that actually fit into the rift