Sign in to follow this  
Nytro

Set up AffinityMask in v4 = 60 fps all the time!

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

My 6 core 5820 runs best at AM = 340 in V3 and AM = 980 in V4.

That is because I have all kind of addons running too.

In V3 I tested with AM = 4095 . It seemed a little smoother when the system was not taxed very much , but caused some stutters in heavy scenery + rain. AM = 340  handled that better ..

In V4 all surrounding scenery is blurry at any affinity mask. I have an old 6-core i7 overclocked at 4ghz and HT on.

I tried AM and my FPS dropped to 7-9 at KATL in the 717 as a stress test.  I get 15-20 with HT on and no AM. 

Far be it for me to dampen anyone's enthusiasm,  but on the thread I linked here, AM is being discussed by people who understand how it works.   :)

The confusion is because of the same reasons before when Hyperthreaded CPU"s came about . AMD is different than Intel and the mechanism LM used for affinity mask isn't working the same with Ryzen CPU's somehow, so he's basically having to manually tell it to use all cores.

• Upvote 1

I figured out another fps performance trick by accident. You can fly with dynamic lights, but only switch landing lights or taxi lights on. If you use all lights strobes etc. huge fps impact! But if you switch only ONE taxi/Landing light on fps impact is only 10 % instead of 60 % :D

As well dynamic lights cost no performance when all lights are switched off :D Since this is a sim and not real live i will now fly completely dark and will only turn on one light for landing. Difference is huge. With standard lights you see nothing like always, with dynamic lights everything looks very nice. In some cockpits cockpit lights costs as well nothing tho...

On 11/7/2017 at 4:22 PM, Nytro said:

I figured out another fps performance trick by accident. You can fly with dynamic lights, but only switch landing lights or taxi lights on. If you use all lights strobes etc. huge fps impact! But if you switch only ONE taxi/Landing light on fps impact is only 10 % instead of 60 % :D

As well dynamic lights cost no performance when all lights are switched off :D Since this is a sim and not real live i will now fly completely dark and will only turn on one light for landing. Difference is huge. With standard lights you see nothing like always, with dynamic lights everything looks very nice. In some cockpits cockpit lights costs as well nothing tho...

Agree , tried some light Combos as well .

The NGX taxi light that moves with your rudder/tiller is nice (like in the Dash8-Q400)

I still have some weird freezes/stutter/fps drops sometimes which is a ###### on approach or on takeoff. (GPU´s at about 50-60%)

Maybe my SLI also helps to these problems , who knows.

Mir/Flightbeam also explains why Dynamic lights is more demanding in HD textures vs low quality textures. 

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

All of this 'tweaking things' reminds me of Graphic Equalisers that were so prevalent in Hi-Fi stacks back in the 70's

I could never understand why people bothered with them  ....

Bands and singers spend thousand and thousands of pounds/dollars on sound engineers trying to get the perfect sound on their records only for them to be tweaked and altered by so called audiophiles

This is 'sort of' similar

Paul

I really don't get this obsession with 60FPS and AM

3 hours ago, Paul_ said:

All of this 'tweaking things' reminds me of Graphic Equalisers that were so prevalent in Hi-Fi stacks back in the 70's

Bands and singers spend thousand and thousands of pounds/dollars on sound engineers trying to get the perfect sound on their records only for them to be tweaked and altered by so called audiophiles

Paul

This is very true, though inevitably the sound system being used to playback the recording in a home scenario is sub-standard compared to the original high-end equipment used in the studio, and the room has crap dynamics etc, so in this case an equaliser can go some way to alleviating too much bass, not enough top end etc. And i guess P3D is no different in that there is a huge difference in systems being used and all can probably be tweaked in some way to make the a little better.

The thing to remember is that there is no magic bullet. You don't get silly FPS increases and you don't get to push your sliders up any more than you could before, but you may end up with a smoother overall experience.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ErichB said:

I really don't get this obsession with 60FPS and AM

I suspect it's because, for most games and gamers, 60FPS is the minimum.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jenxy said:

I suspect it's because, for most games and gamers, 60FPS is the minimum.

That has never in the history of flightsim been the case.

Honestly: this is simply because Simmers are used to suffer from bad performance and they found ways to get along with it, for example by limiting the FPS to 30 or even 20 with the aim to have at least as constant FPS as possible. But if you ever played another game on a 144Hz screen with 100+ FPS, then even 60FPS is ridiculously bad, not even speaking about 30 or 20FPS. It is only acceptable due to the fact that within a civil flightsim, there is no fast movement necessary. But I guess, already properly controlling a well-modelled helo would be better with 60+ FPS compared to 30 or even 20.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

5 hours ago, Paul_ said:

Paul

I know what you mean, but very often people suffered from an unsuitable room acoustic or unperfect Hifi component. With their equalizers they could adjust these limitations to their needs. Even active speakers allow to change the bass or treble depending on the room and the wand-near position of the speakers. Nowadays precise correction is done by using digital room correction (Room Perfect etc.), which is not much more than a modern equaliser...

Back to flight sim, I never had success with setting a AM in the prepar3d.cfg, but I use Process Lasso and HT off.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

That has never in the history of flightsim been the case.

Absolutely. But gamers coming to flight sims probably don't know that.

But can it run Crysis?

But can it run a flight sim maxed at 60FPS, hell no.

• Upvote 2