Sign in to follow this  
Nytro

Set up AffinityMask in v4 = 60 fps all the time!

6 hours ago, ErichB said:

I really don't get this obsession with 60FPS and AM

I don't get the obsession with yellow twitch streamers glasses

I dont get the obsession with wingflex

I don't get the obsession with people messing with AM 

Just get a half decent CPU and clean installation and fly the plane. Jeez

• Upvote 4

14ppkc-6.png

4 minutes ago, tooting said:

I dont get the obsession with wingflex

I definitely get that.  In fact - I insist.

Flightsim related OCD comes in many forms and I'm pretty sure should qualify for a DSM5 entry.

60 fps looks way smoother and yes that is my target. Also dont forget the low fps are much higher with 40 - 45 fps instead of 10 - 14 fps when you fly around with 30 fps. So the overall experience is way more smooth.

If you fly around with 30 fps okay, but my target was always 60 fps, and since using Prepar3D 60 fps were the standard for me as well in the last 4-5 years.

18 hours ago, Paul_ said:

All of this 'tweaking things' reminds me of Graphic Equalisers that were so prevalent in Hi-Fi stacks back in the 70's

I could never understand why people bothered with them  ....

Bands and singers spend thousand and thousands of pounds/dollars on sound engineers trying to get the perfect sound on their records only for them to be tweaked and altered by so called audiophiles

This is 'sort of' similar

Paul

(off topic section followed by on topic return)

people bothered with them, and still do, because the sound that the record producer created in the studio is 2 things:

1) not perfect,  record producers don't work to get the "best" sound,  they work to get the sound that sounds decent on the widest variety of playback equipment.  they can't count on everybody being audiophiles and having audiophile equipment, so they spend large amounts of effort trying to get it sounding good on cheap speakers, earbuds, and car stereos of varying levels of quality,  this compromise leaves large amounts of room for enthusiasts to play with the sound.

2) only ever sounds like the producer wanted it to in the studio it was mixed in.  your room is ruining all of your music with early and late reflections, room modes and bass nodes,  unless you spend a fortune on acoustic treatment, you will never hear the music the way it was meant to be heard.   

unless you own, and know how to use, an EQ.  Yes a whole ton of people didn't and just pushed the bass frequency faders all the way up and called it a day, and ended up with a muddy sludge mess of a sound that they probably didn't know better about and enjoyed anyway,  but an EQ is necessary for balancing the sound out to compensate for your listening equipment and system, again, if you know what you are doing.    (I'm a liflelong musician and have a recording studio, and a whole ton of education and experience on this stuff  :) )

so that leaves us with AM a similar situation:  the default is the "safe" bet by LM to utilize all available cores and threads which works well for the majority of users at the majority of times.  also, unless you own an i7 or similar hyperthreading processor, you are very unlikely to get a performance boost from using an alternate AM setting, since the whole point of masking cores and threads out is to give the sim less processing power, not more.  Why would you want to do this?  well, if p3d is using every available thread,  your add on programs like active sky, opus, track IR etc... are left with whatever the OS gives it for processor space which can result in cpu lag, once the addon pushes the cpu to 100%.  also, with my kaby lake i7 comes another problem.  If all of my threads are used up processing flightsim stuff, my i7700k gets hot, operating well above 70c.  if I turn off the hyperthreaded cores with an AM, which p3d doesn't use all that effectively anyway, I can run cooler and not really slower, and active sky and track IR have some threads that they can use without crowding out the sim processing.  (and you can affinity mask them if you want with command line tools to make them use specific threads as well)

the effectiveness of the tool, just like the graphic EQ, is directly proportional to your individual system and environment, and your understanding of what it does and what you want to do with it.  If you don't have any understanding of WHY you want to use AM, and just think of it as some sort of miracle tweak, don't use it, because it isn't.  if you read the thread I linked to on my previous post in this thread and you kind of understand it, and have a use for the tweak,  it can be very helpful, but it's not a miracle, and certain settings can affect texture loading.

• Upvote 1

what it boils down to is some people like to fiddle with things, some people do not. There is no perfect outcome either way, so whatever your decision, no fault, no foul. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

AM completely messed up my performance. It was choppy and unpleasent. Decided to remove it again.

I guess the mileage varies with each user...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I set the Affinity mask as recommended. No fps advantage. I then found that my Orbx Scenery was having difficulty in getting its share of the action and when in complex areas all the 3d scenery was flattened. Pausing the sim allowed the return, bit by bit of the 3d stuff.

Removing the JOBSCHEDULER] Affinity Mask setting from the p3d v4cfg file cleared the problem.

The AM needs to be spot on for a system. Otherwise it will work against you.

But if you can find the correct AM value for your system it makes it all more smooth and stable.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

24 minutes ago, GSalden said:

The AM needs to be spot on for a system. Otherwise it will work against you.

But if you can find the correct AM value for your system it makes it all more smooth and stable.

That seems to be the case.  I tried the recommended one for my system and, while the frame rate was good, it was not smooth.  It is much smoother with it removed  So, I'll try a few more to see what happens.

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

Stop spreading these irresponsible exaggeration/unscientific claims  please, you will cause more confusion than really help anyone.

Try use PMDG 747 to land at any Flytampa airport (such as EHAM), if you get constant 30+, you are the king.

5 minutes ago, jayren said:

Anyone still believing AM matters, watch this.

The video nicely shows that depending on your AM setting, different cores are fully loaded. As far as I can say, AM has no effect on FPS, but it can help to eliminate stutters (at least it does on my end). End of the story.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The thing about frame rates is, your target will always be higher than what you are actually achieving. So unless you are having a stutter fest, just relax, have fun and enjoy the sim. We as a simmimg community have a tendency to spend too much time tweaking and not enough time flying.

• Upvote 5

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

42 minutes ago, nealmac said:

The thing about frame rates is, your target will always be higher than what you are actually achieving. So unless you are having a stutter fest, just relax, have fun and enjoy the sim. We as a simmimg community have a tendency to spend too much time tweaking and not enough time flying.

Yup, yup, yup

4 hours ago, robin776 said:

I set the Affinity mask as recommended. No fps advantage. I then found that my Orbx Scenery was having difficulty in getting its share of the action and when in complex areas all the 3d scenery was flattened. Pausing the sim allowed the return, bit by bit of the 3d stuff.

Removing the JOBSCHEDULER] Affinity Mask setting from the p3d v4cfg file cleared the problem.