Sign in to follow this  
Nytro

Set up AffinityMask in v4 = 60 fps all the time!

On 11/17/2017 at 6:35 AM, Matthew James de Bohun said:

See this really bugs me. I hate the fact you need to delve into being some kind of computer "programmer" to get the best out of the sim experience.

In an ideal world the software would be fully capable of optimising the experience for me leaving me to just fly.

blame microsoft and aces they abandoned it.

That sim you've got running on your PC... its from 2006 its 11 years old.  Sure LM have pimped it up and made it 64 bit, but they didnt buy it for simmers, they bought it to sell to the military.  Money, always money. 

But deep down, its an old programme designed in the early 2000s for kids to fly under bridges at San Fran.  Then Microsoft realised there more money to be made in xbox Consoles and kids throwing grenades over walls in Call of Duty.

and before you all queue up and say there more older people than use flightsim's than younger people, ill agree with you, but theres a caveat.

Theres was and still is way way way way more money to be made in consoles (back in 2006, and the same today),  and thats why they ditched it.  Money. always money.

14ppkc-6.png

26 minutes ago, SteveW said:

The AM can only restrict the sim from using all the cores, it cannot improve performance.

Also we are talking about AMs in relation to *sharing* the CPU with addons that otherwise take performance from the sim.

Your system is set up incorrectly since P3D settings can crush any system your exhibits the behaviour of being set up to do more than your system can manage.

Hey Steve,

Thank you for the information on the AM.  You are the third person warning me against using it.

As far as P3D config settings go, it looks like I will just have to work with trial and error to get things right.

You seem to be saying that it is the capacity of the CPU that makes the biggest hardware difference when running the P3D sim. Not so much the video card.  Am I understanding what you said correctly?

CPU and GPU both play a big part. A GPU must display lots of things at once and a CPU must do lots of things. The use of AMs is to organise multiple executables and so your idea that they are not important is a myth, there's no such thing as no AM.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...this comes back to what I was saying earlier which you missed - wind back the GPU function to set up the CPU and the addons, only after that increase the use of the GPU functions, finally adding AA.

On 11/16/2017 at 0:54 PM, Bert Pieke said:

Use this calculator:

http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-binary-converter

Type in the decimal number on the left, and select Convert

On the right, you will see which cores are active (1) and inactive (0)

84=  01010100

118= 01110110

I would like 118 better.

Personally I use:

253=11 11 11 01

Pick your poison  :cool:

ps.  Oh by the way, it is not about fps, but about smoothness..

,, and just to show that there is no one right answer, I am now flying with

AffinityMask=244
// 244=11 11 01 00

:happy:

Bert

Just curious, do the numbers, back slashes and spaces have to be typed just as shown above?   I have seen them typed different ways and am wondering if there is a mandatory way of entering them into the config.

Thanks

For what it's worth I'm using AM85 with my i7 7700K, not because it improves apparent performance for me however it allows Core #1 to run much cooler according to Core Temp.

I'm more than happy with my rig's performance, particularly now I have a 1080 GPU under it's hood.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Lesson to SteveW and not the bind leading the blind.

leave v4 alone, open up task manager and kick AS, ASCA, ProATC and anything else your running of core 0&1.

set your sim up correctly for your pc and that’s it.

Job done.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

12 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Lesson to SteveW and not the bind leading the blind.

leave v4 alone, open up task manager and kick AS, ASCA, ProATC and anything else your running of core 0&1.

set your sim up correctly for your pc and that’s it.

Job done.

That's it, pretty much in a nutshell. Problems faced are with only four cores and shoe horning in a sim that makes use of more than six where the old FSX/P3Dv3 made use of four.

Even though P3D v4 really does use the CPU to better intent, in the end we have to be keeping things right with respect to HT enabled or having many cores, meaning adding a custom AM is mandatory.

51 minutes ago, kenthom said:

Just curious, do the numbers, back slashes and spaces have to be typed just as shown above?   I have seen them typed different ways and am wondering if there is a mandatory way of entering them into the config.

Thanks

The // indicates a comment... ie this line is ignored by P3D.

Bert

19 minutes ago, MarkW said:

for 8700K, 6 cores, 12 threads is AM=4095 correct?

4095 = 11 11 11 11 11 11

which would designate all cores as active.. is that your intent?

I might try

4084 = 11 11 11 11 01 00

• Upvote 1

Bert

11 minutes ago, MarkW said:

for 8700K, 6 cores, 12 threads is AM=4095 correct?

Maybe, maybe not.  What works for one won't work for all.  You also might try AM=4084 with your 8700K + HT on.  Run your 3rd party apps that work with the sim (i.e AS) on LP 0 and 1, prevent the sim from using LP 3 (second possessor of the second core) to prevent/minimize thread crashing with the first core the sim runs on (LP 2).

Good luck,

Greg

• Upvote 1

Any AM setting on my i4790K with HT on (116 seems the "best") increases FPS by probably 10-20%, but causes very noticeable stuttering, especially once away from the airport at higher altitudes and speeds. I'm willing to live with slightly lower FPS (I run at 50Hz which locks the FPS at 50, and I maintain that 99.9% of the time) to avoid the terrible AM-induced stutters.

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

The // indicates a comment... ie this line is ignored by P3D.

To be clear, you only have to type in the number after Affinity Mask?  Such as    Affinity Mask=144  ?    

Sorry if this is elementary stuff but I am just learning as I go.   Thanks