Sign in to follow this  
Nytro

Set up AffinityMask in v4 = 60 fps all the time!

4 minutes ago, kenthom said:

To be clear, you only have to type in the number after Affinity Mask?  Such as    Affinity Mask=144  ?    

Sorry if this is elementary stuff but I am just learning as I go.   Thanks   

You have got to type in two lines... and no blanks!

Example:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=244

Bert

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

That's it, pretty much in a nutshell. Problems faced are with only four cores and shoe horning in a sim that makes use of more than six where the old FSX/P3Dv3 made use of four.

Even though P3D v4 really does use the CPU to better intent, in the end we have to be keeping things right with respect to HT enabled or having many cores, meaning adding a custom AM is mandatory.

I'm playing around now with 111111110100 on my 3930K.   And...other apps running along side P3D V3.4 just don't seem to need much, so I have them mapped to share w/ two of the LPs P3D is supposed to be using for terrain texture loading, and the main windows processes to 0/1 LPs.  My thinking is that the main thread could use one whole core, so this is why I have '01' in the AM above.  This could be complete misunderstanding of something I thought you were advising previously I really am not sure!

What I don't understand, and I say this because of watching CPU utilization on those terrain texture loading LPs w/ the AM above, why I think you said in the past there was no purpose in using 111111110100 over something like 010101010100.   In really complex scenery with the former AM I sometimes see all the texture loading LPs cranking out well over 100% when you combine the values in each pair, for example LP-11 shows @ 68% CPU, and LP-12 @ 71% CPU, totaling well over 100%.  In addition and this seems to corroborate this line of thinking, I see temps per core going up as well, as well of course wattage goes up over one of the AM's like 010101010100.   And this would certainly seem to imply the 3930K is indeed doing more processing breaking the assignment to both LPs, rather than just the first one of the pair.   I can see a theoretical justification if P3D, in initiating terrain texture loading, that each call is an individual thread so can use individual LPs, whereas the main thread perhaps can only use one LP, and perhaps Windows ignores it's HT state if splitting that core 1 into two LP's if there's just one thread being run.    

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

You got it. The "0,1" restricts the monolithic main process to one LP of one core. The way P3D is written is to take out of that first process some work which would go onto the same core with "11" defeating the object. However, we can use "11" for the background tasks but we are going to get hotter. So Yes you're correct.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

15 minutes ago, SteveW said:

You got it..... So Yes you're correct.

Which part?   So does it make sense to use 111111110100 from a theoretical sense, for someone who isn't running apps that might need a whole LP to itself?  If I didn't see LPs 5-12 all bebopping along in complex scenery I would guess turning HT off instead, and just go 111110, but I do!  In fact it makes me think 8+ cores would even be better.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

...either one of the logical processors (LPs) of a core active means that the entire core is active, there's no real two cores on a core. So to have "11" on the main core the process stops for the other. Instead the AM "01" moves that other work onto the next physical core along. If you think any old little app using only a little tiny 6% of the CPU is not disturbing the sim think again.

...any long string of ones, there's a physical limit to what the hardware can do so after a while those ones do nothing other than slow down the sim and heat up the CPU.

...take a four core no HT, you got just four cores - runs the sim pretty well with no AM, what else would you do - but add HT and with no AM you still got only four cores but you got two processes ganging up on the first core that would otherwise occupy two cores so with HT enabled we usually use the "01" on the right the least significant part or core 0. But with four cores and P3D v4 the second process is small less affecting those setups no AM or "11" on the right than with v3 and FSX.

31 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...take a four core no HT, you got just four cores - runs the sim pretty well with no AM, what else would you do - but add HT and with no AM you still got only four cores but you got two processes ganging up on the first core that would otherwise occupy two cores so with HT enabled we usually use the "01" on the right the least significant part or core 0.

So for a 4-core CPU with HT On that would translate to:

11 11 01 00 ?

Did I get it right?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

If you think any old little app using only a little tiny 6% of the CPU is not disturbing the sim think again.

With this AM, 11 11 11 11 01 00, as I mentioned I have some FS related apps as we most all do running along side, and in general I have them assigned to LP 11/12, and Windows 7 processes that are assignable I have going to LP 0/1.   Isn't this configuration therefore minimizing interference w/ the sim?  It must be because it seems to run great!

One possibility is to turn HT off, and then O/C Core1 to the max, and Cores 0/2/3/4/5 a bit lower to conserve wattage and target the O/C.  My BIOS can do this but I've not been able to successfully set it up, but haven't tried to hard at it yet.  Right now they're all at 4.45Ghz@1.32v or up to 4.55Ghz at 1.35v is as high as I'm comfy with.

Noel

2 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

So for a 4-core CPU with HT On that would translate to:

11 11 01 00 ?

Did I get it right?

Thanks.

You don’t need to use an AM with 4 cores with HT on.

you do need to kick everything else off core 0&1.

Steve W said this in another topic on AM.

I do the above with sim set to match my pc.

perfect texture loading, no stutters.

Dont use a AM unless your 6 cores +

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

30 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Hi David :gaul:

I am using Process Lasso now since it "remembers" the AM for apps upon windows startup.

Do you also kick windows task and Nvidia stuff of 0 and 1 ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

PS!

Maybe we can have a dedicated list with window task that is "safe" to move away from 0 and 1 ?

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

39 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Yes, I remember that thread, but discussion here got me re-thinking it again. I've used ProcessLasso to put anything else on Core 2 and Core 3 with no HT, but after I installed P3Dv4 recently I started thinking about engaging HT On on my 6700K.

So, you think there's no AM setting for me, just HT ON, frequency down from the current 4.8GHz to 4.4GHz (perhaps 4.6GHz) and some ProcessLasso re-distribution for add-ons, right?

Thanks,

PS: My I9 7900X binned and delidded is waiting already for my next hardware upgrade, so now I'm rather exploring P3Dv4 beast, and HT is something I need better understanding of for my next rig.

Edited by Dirk98

4 hours ago, SteveW said:

...take a four core no HT, you got just four cores - runs the sim pretty well with no AM, what else would you do - but add HT and with no AM you still got only four cores but you got two processes ganging up on the first core that would otherwise occupy two cores so with HT enabled we usually use the "01" on the right the least significant part or core 0.

David, reading that abstract again I still think SeveW refered to  11 11 01 00 AM, didn't he? (AM = 244, also as per Bert's suggestion)

No AM sounds great but perhaps too easy to be true )). There are 8LPs when HT is On, so Core Zero goes for OS, LP3 goes for P3Dv4 main thread and there are another 5 LPs left for P3Dv4's other less intense tasks. Moving add-ons to the remaining LPs 5-8 with ProcessLasso (or other utilities) off from where the main thread is running is always beneficial. This is how I read it. Correct me if I read it wrong.

Thanks,

Dirk.  

PS: Errm, or was it rather about 11 11 11 01?

Edited by Dirk98

While experimenting with AM=244 as per above how do I set up Prepar3D.exe affinity in ProcessLasso? Just give Prepar3D.exe all 0 to 7LPs? Or do I need to correlate what I put in AM=244 with how I set ProcessLasso to manage Prepar3D.exe?

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

2 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Clearly  you have a dissenting opinion, which is fine..  :cool:

But it does get confusing...

• Upvote 1

Bert