Sign in to follow this  
Nytro

Set up AffinityMask in v4 = 60 fps all the time!

4 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

David, reading that abstract again I still think SeveW refered to  11 11 01 00 AM, didn't he? (AM = 244, also as per Bert's suggestion)

No AM sounds great but perhaps too easy to be true )). There are 8LPs when HT is On, so Core Zero goes for OS, LP3 goes for P3Dv4 main thread and there are another 5 LPs left for P3Dv4's other less intense tasks. Moving add-ons to the remaining LPs 5-8 with ProcessLasso (or other utilities) off from where the main thread is running is always beneficial. This is how I read it. Correct me if I read it wrong.

Thanks,

Dirk.  

PS: Errm, or was it rather about 11 11 11 01?

Yes, There was a topic on it for v4 am not going to try and find it. But SteveW told me, as I was just coming from 3.4 to 4.1 and told me not to use an AM with my 4 core HT on within v4 becase v4 works so much better with handing cores,( unlike v2-3 were he said to use one and I did.) Then I said I kicked everything else off and he said that was the best set up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

People can question me all they like but I don't question someone who knows far more about it than probably 98% of the people on here.

If people want to agnor what an expert says and add something that's not needed unless your 6 core+, please feel free it's your sim.

4 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

Hi David :gaul:

I am using Process Lasso now since it "remembers" the AM for apps upon windows startup.

Do you also kick windows task and Nvidia stuff of 0 and 1 ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

PS!

Maybe we can have a dedicated list with window task that is "safe" to move away from 0 and 1 ?

Hi Michael.

I just Kick off other v4 things, nothing else and only off 0 & 1. 

The rest imo is how people run the sim for there and there alone PC.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

dissenting

No my opinion is to listen to an expert not hear say from fred blogs and mickey mouse.

Or someone that posts a different one depending on the wind direction.

People come here for help and not a game of chinese whispers. 

I state as a fact I know nothing about AM compared to Steve, but SteveW is my go to man and I personally trust him 100%. If he tells me I don't need one in v4 then I don't need one. After 20 years of doing this I know who to trust and who not to.

I've used AM for years, happy to not use one and my v4.1 is running like a dream.

Do I know a lot about tweaking? yes I do, but AM is best to just ask SteveW directly what is best for your CPU. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

18 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

No my opinion is to listen to an expert not hear say from fred blogs and mickey mouse.

David, you're missing the point then of what the same expert wrote in his latest post here on a 4-ore HT On. It looks like SteveW suggests to try a different affinity vs. 11 11 11 11, and we are affected ))

David, on page 5 of this thread SteveW wrote:

15 hours ago, SteveW said:

CPU and GPU both play a big part. A GPU must display lots of things at once and a CPU must do lots of things. The use of AMs is to organise multiple executables and so your idea that they are not important is a myth, there's no such thing as no AM.

With emphasis on that final sentence.

Regards,

Greg

Guys, please help me out with ProcessLasso.

Do I have to match ProcLasso's AM to the one I set in Prepar3D.cfg? Or can I just set PL to allow Prepar3D.exe to use all logical processors of my CPU, and the *.exe will jump only on those allowed in the [JOBSCHEDULER] of Prepar3D.cfg? How does it work?

Thanks,   

Edited by Dirk98

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Do I have to match ProcLasso's AM to the one I set in Prepar3D.cfg? Or can I just set PL to allow Prepar3D.exe to use all logical processors of my CPU, and the *.exe will jump only on those allowed in the [JOBSCHEDULER] of Prepar3D.cfg? How does it work?

Set an AM for Prepar3d only in the Prepar3d.cfg file (by adding the [JOBSCHEDULER] section as Bert noted a few posts earlier).  Then you can use Process Lasso to set AM's for other applications that run alongside the sim (i.e. a weather add-on).  The goal is to keep other apps on the system from using the cores you assign to the sim (especially the first core you assign the sim to use).

HTH,

Greg

9 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Set an AM for Prepar3d only in the Prepar3d.cfg file (by adding the [JOBSCHEDULER] section as Bert noted a few posts earlier).  Then you can use Process Lasso to set AM's for other applications that run alongside the sim (i.e. a weather add-on).  The goal is to keep other apps on the system from using the cores you assign to the sim (especially the first core you assign the sim to use).

HTH,

Greg

Greg I did that already and that wasn't my question. I asked what affinity should I use in ProcessLasso for Prepar3D.exe? By default all LPs are ticked (allowed) for Prepar3D.exe in ProcessLasso. My concern is that this might override AM set in [JOBSCHEDULER].

Thanks,

Edited by Dirk98

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

Greg I did that already and that wasn't my question. I asked what affinity should I use in ProcessLasso for Prepar3D.exe? By default all LPs are ticked (allowed) for Prepar3D.exe in ProcessLasso. My concern is that this might override AM set in [JOBSCHEDULER].

Thanks,

When running P3D, start up Windows Task Manager and check the affinity settings for prepar3d.exe, it will show you if your settings are active.. :happy:

• Upvote 1

Bert

3 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

David, you're missing the point then of what the same expert wrote in his latest post here on a 4-ore HT On. It looks like SteveW suggests to try a different affinity vs. 11 11 11 11, and we are affected ))

OK i will quote from page 5 and the reply

Try what you like. Gl to you hope it works for you.

Am not going to comment on this anymore its pointless.

17 hours ago, Nyxx said:

Lesson to SteveW and not the blind leading the blind.

leave v4 alone, open up task manager and kick AS, ASCA, ProATC and anything else your running of core 0&1.

set your sim up correctly for your pc and that’s it.

Job done.

17 hours ago, SteveW said:

That's it, pretty much in a nutshell.

ok - I am going to lock this before it goes further south.

AM is NOT a one size fits all setting. Each system will be different and coming here and asking over and over 'Which is best?" is a waste of bandwidth.

SteveW has been VERY gracious in handling the repetitive questions and giving the same answers over and over.

AM is a number folks - read through the literally hundreds of posts so you understand the process. THEN - pick a number!  Try it - if it works, keep it, if not try another but PLEASE stop coming here and asking over and over - Which should I use?

FWIW, I've tried several with and without HT and *FOR ME ON MY SYSTEM* - I use no AM, no HT and currently use Lasso to assign a few tasks off of Core 0. For me, that works best.

Vic

• Upvote 5

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors