Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul Heaney

Zome Alarm Suite vs Norton Internet Security 2005

It has been about one year since this came up, so I wanted to see if more experience has been accrued. I currently use NIS 2005. It took about 20 hours to set it up with little useful help from tech support. Once I got it working it was fine, but maybe slowed the system. I just installed some updates and major problems again, windows shut down is now 7 minutes, and some programs cannot access the web, and If I try to set up a rule the program hangs. Tech support again does not seem to read what I am saying, only points me to useless knowledge base articles. I also think NIS causes stutteringI am interested in a suite solution in particular Zone Alarm suite [just received Editors Choice in PC Mag]not just the firewall. Anyone using it with FS 2004? Any issues? I am particularly interested in perception of their support, whether it problematic to use, and whether it adversely impacts FS 2004.Thanks,Greg

Greg Clark

Guest bobsk8

Actualluy, I use Norton Internet Security in my system and it works very well. I shut off the anti-virus part of it while I am running FS.

I bought the ZoneAlarm with Anti-virus and am using it on my newest system that I just built. I like it much better than Norton. As far as tech help, I can't say, because I haven't needed any so far! I have no problems or stutters runing the ZoneAlarm antivirus with FS9.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

I just removed NIS from my home system. Installed the Zone Alarm suite (trial version), and so far everything works fine. I spent hours fiddling with NIS, getting error messages, etc. and general systems slow down.ricardo

Guest ThrottleUp

I too had bad experiences with Norton and personally do not like their software.I have since been using McAfee Security Center and I have to say it works brilliantly. Poor AdAware & Spybot have had nothing to detect since I installed it - and of course it butchers viruses ruthlessly with a clean and simple interface.I'd also like to add that the *freeware* Zone Alarm which I used for a while is also truly excellent (when used with AdAware, Spyware Guard & Spybot)As always this is my take on things - its what works best for *you* that counts!:)

I have used both McAfee, the freeware Zone Alarm, SpyBot, and AD Awrae SE in their variuos form for the past for the past 15+ months with little or no problems. The most important thing to remember when using thses products is new look for updates at least once a week. The update file cycle for McAfee and Ad Aware is in the 7-10 day range. SpyBot a little longer, maybe 12-20 days. Zone Alarm can be set for auto update notification.Within the past month, Microsoft has added a new freeware SpyBot/Ad Aware type program. I recommend trying it out on your system. It runs in background with little hit on your basic operating system.Lastly, if you fly with your modem shutdown, consider picking up a freeware copy of FSautostart and run this program as your front end into this game and many others. Easy to install and it both turns off and restarts any or all background programs that you may have running on your computer. The above statement about flying with your modem turned off is because FSautostart is capable of allowing you to turn off all of your security programs. Anothe rnice feature of the addon is that gives you the option of defragging your computers memory prior to starting the game. At great way to enchance FS9 performance on any machine.Tom

Guest davidvoogd

I used to use Norton Internet Security (2004) and I got rid of it. It installs way too many extra programs and it kills your systems performance. I'm back to AVG for antivirus (www.grisoft.com - freeware) and the free version of Zonealarm. One problem with Norton is that some new viruses just kill it or bypass it anyways, so it's sort of useless sometimes.Save your money!Also Norton wouldn't let me disable the antivirus for some reason, it was totally messed up and their technical support was pretty much useless.

Trying to uninstall Norton can be a real nightmare. No matter what is used, including Norton's own clean up tool to remove all traces of Norton, something always remains and Norton or Symantec "error applets" pop up every now and then. Best thing is not to install it to begin with.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Guest jettjokk

All of the internet security suites may use more background resources than ideal for FS frame rates. FSAutostart can really help here. For what it is worth, "PC Magazine" has consistently rated ZoneAlarm's firewall as the best. So if you have a full-time internet connection I'd have to recommend it as a firewall only. I ended up with ZoneAlarm, Norton Antivirus, and AD-AWARE. That plus WinXP SP2 has kept the bad stuff away for several years now.Dan Stalter

Guest av84fun

Yes, and the Zone Alarm Suite just got their top pick award.

Guest sb55mv

Hi Greg.I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread, but here goes, I used to use NIS, I started off with Internet security 2003 and then 2004, but after a short while I noticed that it had taken over my machine, and sometimes the slowdown was ridiculous. so I re formatted and before connecting through my newly purchased linksys router, with a hardware firewall and built in router I got hold of Webroots Spysweeper, and AVAST, the spysweeper s a payware, but the AVAST is freeware unless you want the pro version, but the free one is fully functioning too, and has a fantastic "boot time scan" feature that scans at the boot up, before windows can stop it getting anywhere such as system restore etc, but they are both fantastic, and I can't recommend them enough.and to be honest, I find Norton about as easy to contact as Microsoft (*;*), yes that was a bit sarcastic I suppose.but, the end result is a well protected PC that has not been bought down to it's knees and taken over, a typical example for you was this, I noticed one day that my Out-Bound e-mails were now being scanned by NIS2004, and yet I had turned OFF that feature, so after checking it I found that it was indeed set to OFF in the scan out-bound e-mails, but it was still doing it, and what did the tech support guy's at Symantec tell me . . to un-install and re-install the whole lot, and re-set up everything all over again, yeah, like that was going to happen . .so bye bye NIS,hope this helps,PS, just do a ctrl-alt-del and see how much system resources are being used by it for yourself.

I appreciate everyone's input on this topic. There is a clear trend in the thread, and with this information, I will switch to the Zone Alarm Suite 5.5. Seems I will be clearly better off.Greg

Greg Clark

Guest Paul Heaney

I've been a fan of Norton for years, BUT, Now I'm using ZoneAlarmPro instead of NIS2005, I Have NIS2005 installed on my secondary machine, it was my Primary, up until Dec. when I bought a new system, the new computer is running ZoneAlarm and it works great, bye bye norton. As soon as I wipe the secondary computer, in comes ZoneAlarm and McAfee, I'll be rid of Norton forever.