Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Wrong AFCAD being used for TropicalSim MDPC

I'm running P3D v3.4. Today I bought TropicalSim's MDPC and added an entry to scenery.cfg as advised. Loaded up P3D and positioned Concorde (a heavy) at a heavy gate.

I then brought up the GSX menu but the gate entries bore no resemblance to the actual gates. On further investigation I found that GSX is using the MyTraffic BGL for this airport, not the supplied AFCAD.

I ran Simple Airport Scanner (SAS) by ScruffyDuck but it reported no duplicate. Why not? I then realised MyTraffic doesn't have an entry in scenery.cfg. It's now treated as an addon and is loaded by a separate process.

So how can SAS detect duplicate AFCADs because this surely is the problem? Now I might have the answer but it's a bit messy and all due to the way scenery is now handled in P3D v3.3 onwards.

Lorby has given us Addon Organizer and one of its features is the ability to generate a scenery.cfg from both the actual one and addons such as FSDT and FB airports but crucially also now including MyTraffic Pro.

This scenery.cfg is only created temporarily for programs such as MakeRunways and EFB. But it seems to me SAS also needs to use it to correctly detect duplicate AFCADs. It would then allow me to disable the MyTraffic one for MDPC thereby forcing everything else to use the one supplied with the TropicalSim MDPC.

Anyone any thoughts on this? First time I've had this problem with GSX and P3D and I have a fair bit of 3rd party scenery.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Perhaps that would be something good to pass on to Oliver and see if he would be able to include scan for duplicate AFCADS in AddOn Organizer or perhaps create a new app, due to the inherent nature of P3D SDK protocol.

Glenn Wilkinson

dk1xTfc.jpg                                      28.jpg

Simply remove the MyTraffic afcad by hand until such time if it happens at all that SAS is updated.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

13 minutes ago, beechcaptain said:

Perhaps that would be something good to pass on to Oliver and see if he would be able to include scan for duplicate AFCADS in AddOn Organizer or perhaps create a new app, due to the inherent nature of P3D SDK protocol.

I'll mention it once I've proved my theory by running SAS using the temporarily created scenery.cfg. Assuming it does find lots of duplicate AFCADs as I suspect it will then I'll take it from there.

Whilst the new system of scenery storage in P3D may be more convenient when reinstalling it does make these sort of things a bit of a pain.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 minute ago, Dave_YVR said:

Simply remove the MyTraffic afcad by hand until such time if it happens at all that SAS is updated.

I renamed it but GSX complained it wasn't available. I suspect if I'd run the couatl index rebuild all would have been well.

I'm late to the P3D party. How do you handle this problem?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

44 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I renamed it but GSX complained it wasn't available. I suspect if I'd run the couatl index rebuild all would have been well.

I'm late to the P3D party. How do you handle this problem?

I wonder if doing an exclude in Couatl's addon.ini would work (in your appdata\roaming\Virtuali\ folder).  I was getting zero gates at LatinVFR's KMIA until I added an exclude line for the ZMIA little rogue empty airport bgl in the [gsx] section as follows:

airport_visibility_zmia = 0  

change zmia to whatever name you have for the MyTraffic MDPC bgl, leaving off the .bgl, save the file (backup first before editing - sure you do that as rule of thumb)

reactivate your MyTraffic MDPC bgl and see if that wakes GSX up for you.  For more detailed info, check out page 24 of the GSX manual.  It is a bit different from the example in the manual being that the MyTraffic bgl resides elsewhere, but if GSX already wants it back, it seems to know its whereabouts, so my thought is that this might just work.

Worth a try, anyway.

Hope that resolves your problem, Ray.

Glenn Wilkinson

Hi Glenn,

Problem solved! :biggrin: As I suspected once I had a combined scenery.cfg containing my FSDT, FB and MyTraffic entries SAS identified over 200 duplicate AFCADs. Many were false because I have Ultimate Terrain X which generates airport entries but cause no problem.

But there were two for MDPC - the proper one and a MyTraffic one. For some reason the MyTraffic was taking precedence - hence the problem.

I renamed it to BG# and loaded P3D. Displaying the GSX menu still caused that error to be displayed but after rebuilding couatl indexes it finally displayed the correct menu.

But something still isn't right with this scenery. The aircraft should be aligned with the yellow lines on the gate. But it isn't. it's about 3-4 meters to the right. But viewing the gates in EFB it shows the aircraft to be perfectly aligned. It's as if there are two sets of lines, not one.

But I'll take that up with the author. For now I'm relieved to have sorted the problem.

Regarding creating an exclude as you suggest I only did that when I had AES in FSX to prevent double jetways etc. Not needed here as you can see.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Glad you got it worked out, Ray.

Cheers!

Glenn Wilkinson

40 minutes ago, beechcaptain said:

Glad you got it worked out, Ray.

Cheers!

Thanks Glenn. Things are a bit more complicated with this new way of storing scenery.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather