Sign in to follow this  
orbmis

xMSAA vs xSSAA Comparison

Hello,

I've been trying to configure my P3Dv4, looking to find the proverbial 'optimal' setup for my system. Looking at the MSAA vs SSAA debates, it's pretty clear that SSAA is higher quality, but at a cost of performance. 

But I do have a general question... in the opinion of the group, from a quality perspective only, would 4xMSAA provide a better image, or would 2xSSAA be better? 8xMSAA vs 4xSSAA?

thanks for your help,

Mike

It really depends on your video card -  MSAA doesn't require as much video memory as SSAA does. With the shift to 64 bit you need not worry about a program OOM but need to be mindful of VRAM usage because when it is exhausted you will come to a crawl. Use something like GPU - Z or EVGA precision to monitor your usage. 

There are several discussions around here that tell what settings will impact VRAM and GPU usage.

Bottom line is it's a balancing act like all the other settings. 

Also even though it is presented that way in the program interface , both kinds of AA are not mutually exclusive you can combine them. Some other wrinkle to think about too :P

Edit: On my system SSAA eliminates the white glitter/sparkles that you find in ORBX  scenery, MSAA doesn't do as good of a job.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Slayer said:

Also even though it is presented that way in the program interface , both kinds of AA are not mutually exclusive you can combine them. Some other wrinkle to think about too :P

Are you describing a cfg tweak? I was curious if this could be done, but would love to know if you were able to activate this on your machine?

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

4 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

Are you describing a cfg tweak? I was curious if this could be done, but would love to know if you were able to activate this on your machine?

You can edit:

[DISPLAY]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=0
SSAA=4

VSYNC=0
FXAA=0

section in Prepar3D.cfg and change the numbers by hand, they will probably revert back should you change any settings in the interface later or you could override in Nvidia inspector. 

[DISPLAY]... 
MSAA=0  Is the parameter equivalent to 1=2x, 2=4x, etc...
SSAA=4

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

2 is 2x 4 is 4x etc

Pro tip: use Notepad++ for editing and keep the .cfg open, when you change a setting and flip back to notepad++ it will say file changed would you like to reload it. Pick yes and you can see the changes.

• Upvote 1

Hi. Is 2SSAA equal to 4MSAA compare to the impact to video memory? With the profit that the ORBX-glitter is gone? So in this example 2SSAA is the best setting? Is this correct?

I haven't really compared the two but SSAA essentially doubles or quadruples the pixel count then shrinks it back down again for display at your selected resolution -  so it can use a large amount of VRAM ( and the larger your screen or screens the more SSAA will use)

Personally 2x or 4x SSAA is fine and no need to use MSAA at all. I don't use FXAA at all as it seems to be too blurry for my liking. MSAA seems to require a higher setting to be comparable to SSAA  in crispness.

Some people recomend to use the same settings for MSAA and SSAA if you are combining them IE 2x MSAA -  2x SSAA but I haven't found anything concrete that says you MUST do this.

At the moment I'm having a some good performance vs quality with ingame set to 2xMSAA and NI set to 2xSGSS. Still some runway shimmer, but any shimmer in cockpit is mostly mitigated. With runway shimmer, I find it almost unavoidable without 4xSGSS or beyond, or 4xSSAA ingame, which kills dynamic lights. I love dynamic lights so a compromise must be made somewhere.

I should add that I'm running 1920x1080 on a GTX970.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

2 hours ago, SolRayz said:

At the moment I'm having a some good performance vs quality with ingame set to 2xMSAA and NI set to 2xSGSS.

Yesterday I also experimented with MSAA and SSAA in the sim with dynamic lighting on. SSAA is too hard on performance in the virtual cockpit (980TI, TrackIR), and MSAA alone did not eliminate the texture shimmering.

I also ended up with a compromise by using 2x SGSS in NI and 4x MSAA in the sim. This combination on my setup provides the best from both worlds.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

14 minutes ago, Cargostorm said:

Yesterday I also experimented with MSAA and SSAA in the sim with dynamic lighting on. SSAA is too hard on performance in the virtual cockpit (980TI, TrackIR), and MSAA alone did not eliminate the texture shimmering.

I also ended up with a compromise by using 2x SGSS in NI and 4x MSAA in the sim. This combination on my setup provides the best from both worlds.

MSAA needs to be the set to the same value as SGSS.

SGSS overwrites MSAA , but uses the MSAA pixel positions. Therefore they need be have the same value.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

MSAA needs to be the set to the same value as SGSS.

SGSS overwrites MSAA , but uses the MSAA pixel positions. Therefore they need be have the same value.

I also tried 2x MSAA with 2x SGSS but elimination of texture flimmering was better with 4x MSAA without performance hit. So I left it in this position. But I can check in more detail again.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Dumb question but to those using newer GF cards , why not try MFAA  if your going to use MSAA, you get double the AA for the same price. Don't know if it works in P3DV4 yet. All you need to do to enable it is set MFAA to on in GF control panel then set your MSAA to 2x or higher in P3D and it should kick in.

I went from 4X MSAA to 8X SSAA , it looks better in the distance and I see no framerate drop ( triple view ) with nu 1080 TI...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

6 hours ago, Slayer said:

Dumb question but to those using newer GF cards , why not try MFAA  if your going to use MSAA, you get double the AA for the same price. Don't know if it works in P3DV4 yet. All you need to do to enable it is set MFAA to on in GF control panel then set your MSAA to 2x or higher in P3D and it should kick in.

I've tried it but if it is doing anything it's too subtle for me to see.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.