Sign in to follow this  
CAG2

SOURCE SEL IRS

Hi everyone,

I was flying a 12 hour flight across the pacific. Suddenly this message popped up:

>SOURCE SEL IRS

It popped up after I accidentally disabled the autopilot. How do I fix the problem? Thanks

21 minutes ago, CAG2 said:

Hi everyone,

I was flying a 12 hour flight across the pacific. Suddenly this message popped up:

>SOURCE SEL IRS

It popped up after I accidentally disabled the autopilot. How do I fix the problem? Thanks

Did you have a look in the FCOM? There are lists of EICAS messages in there and what they mean

That would be in QRH, not in the FCOM. This particular message would be on page 10.12.

You were probably playing around with the knobs, and selected both C and FO FMSs to use the same IRS source.

5 minutes ago, icemarkom said:

That would be in QRH, not in the FCOM. This particular message would be on page 10.12.

You were probably playing around with the knobs, and selected both C and FO FMSs to use the same IRS source.

Oops!! My bad apologies if you went hunting in the wrong manual!

I wasn't, but we don't want folks with less time on their hands doing that.

It's generally easy to remember what's where:

1. Everything is normal: FCOM
  2. Something's wrong: QRH
  • Upvote 1

The FCOM also has the EICAS messages defined, by system. The QRH will tell you what to do if the message appears. The FCOM will tell you what causes the message to appear.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Also useful to know: the caret (>) symbol appears before items where the associated checklist is for information only, has no procedural steps, or the action is obvious (e.g. >OVERSPEED, >AUTOTHROT DISC, >FUEL TANK/ENG etc).

17 hours ago, sganoflegend said:

I had a check in FCOM AND QRH And I saw the messages but there wasn't an thing to fix it if anybody knows how to fix it.

Have a look at the five Source Select switches on the Captain's and Co pilot's panels and make sure they are all pointing vertically upwards.  Provided there are no system faults that will get rid of any EICAS messages associated with them not being in the correct normal position. 

In this particular case both IRS AUTO (Source Selector) switches will be pointing to the same IRS source selection (i.e. L, C or R instead of AUTO)  - this is what is generating the >SOURCE SEL IRS  EICAS message!

On 4/10/2019 at 3:36 AM, berts said:

Have a look at the five Source Select switches on the Captain's and Co pilot's panels and make sure they are all pointing vertically upwards.  Provided there are no system faults that will get rid of any EICAS messages associated with them not being in the correct normal position. 

In this particular case both IRS AUTO (Source Selector) switches will be pointing to the same IRS source selection (i.e. L, C or R instead of AUTO)  - this is what is generating the >SOURCE SEL IRS  EICAS message!

Sorry about misunderstanding sir but the way you are explaining is a bit complicated if you can explain in different way and tell me what to do.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:34 AM, sganoflegend said:

Sorry about misunderstanding sir but the way you are explaining is a bit complicated if you can explain in different way and tell me what to do.

The switches to the left and right of the PFD’s.... make sure they are all pointing up. 👍

2 hours ago, sganoflegend said:

They are but the error message still pops in EICAS, the knobs are in "NAV" Position.

You are referring to the IRS selectors on the overhead panel. The switches I’m referencing are to the left of the Captain’s PFD and right if the FO’s PFD. Not on the overhead. 

On 4/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, sganoflegend said:

Look at the left and right hand sides of the Captain's and Co-pilot's instrument panels and you should then see the two vertical rows of switches.

I suggest you take your time reading the manuals and familiarise yourself with the introductory flight using the default PMDG aircraft. Provided you don't move any of these switches away from their normal (upright) positions you should not see any relevant EICAS warning messages.