Sign in to follow this  
Boeingman

Odd viewpoint/view direction behaviour with Track IR

Hello everybody,

yesterday evening I joined the club and got myself ChasePlane. So far I have to say: Good job, gentleman. In terms of program design and available functions it is simply outstanding.

Nevertheless, I have a small problem with TrackIR which I will try to describe in the following:

I am running P3Dv3 and since FSX I have been using EZDok 1 and EZDok 2 together with TrackIR which worked flawlessly. You can move your head in every direction and the virtual head follows the movements of the real world counterpart without a problem. But with ChasePlane, I encountered an issue:

First, here is a Picasso-like drawing of the "problem":

https://abload.de/img/trackir_chaseplaneb4jwp.jpg

On the left you see my head movement, on the right the "translation" by Chase Plane in the sim.
When I turn my head to a new direction (2), the virtual head (2) turns as well to the translated direction. But when I lean forward (3) afterwards, chase plane moves the view point (3) forward from the original viewpoint/direction (1), and not the from new viewpoint/direction (2) so to speak.

Does someone have the same prob? Is there a solution? The problem wouldn't bother me too much, but EZdok was able to handle this viewpoint movement. One could look to the left and right and "lean" out so to speak. Of course, Chase Plane is still beta, but I thought I'd ask.

Thank you Captains!

Kind Regards,

Julius

Great job on the drawing! You are definitely an artist!

Are you able to record a quick video of both the P3D window and TrackIR window (With motion preview) and upload it to youtube as unlisted? That would help me tremendously in identifying the issue!

Regards,
Keven

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hi Keven,

the video shouldn't be a problem.

I will post the link here when it's finished.

Hi folks,

while I was working on a Michael-Bay-Steven-Spielberg like video-blockbuster of TrackIR and P3D to demonstrate my problem,
I saw that TrueView in the TrackIR config programm was unticked. (Which was always required to use EZDok). The moment I activated it TrackIR was working without any limits in P3D and ChasePlane was doing its job perfectly.

So therefore I found the solution myself:

Make sure that True View is selected within the TrackIR program. Of course I don't know what the official recommendation from you developers is, but for me it solved the problem.

On 13/07/2017 at 9:10 AM, Boeingman said:

Make sure that True View is selected within the TrackIR program. Of course I don't know what the official recommendation from you developers is, but for me it solved the problem.

Thanks for posting the solution, had noticed a similar issue when looking over my virtual shoulder in the sim - when leaning towards the cockpit window to get a better view behind I found my virtual body was actually moving towards the centre of the cabin. True View ticked in TrackIR solved that for me as well. :)

On 11/07/2017 at 6:54 PM, Keven Menard said:

Keven,

New user to ChasePlane here - still finding my way around but also finding it to be intuitive and pretty easy to use.

One little suggestion though, when adjusting the motion effects levels it would be a great help if there was a test/simulate button. I.e. To demonstrate what the motion adjustment sliders alter and also to what extent the current setting produces. Unless this already exists and I have missed it of course! :)

49 minutes ago, freakyfeet said:

Keven,

New user to ChasePlane here - still finding my way around but also finding it to be intuitive and pretty easy to use.

One little suggestion though, when adjusting the motion effects levels it would be a great help if there was a test/simulate button. I.e. To demonstrate what the motion adjustment sliders alter and also to what extent the current setting produces. Unless this already exists and I have missed it of course! :)

There is no preview for those at the moment but we are researching ways of doing this after the v1 release.

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Hm I have trueView ticked but stil the same Problem: I have created a wing view and when leaning forwards to get closer to the window it is moving torwards the cockpit.

I think this is connected to how the views are created. When I set up the wing view my head position is ignored. From the cockpit I moved back into the cabin, then turned my head right and saved that view. However when I switch to that view, I am at the wing but looking torwards the cockpit door. The position of my head using TrackIR is ignored when saving a view. So I had to create the view with the pan button and trackIR paused. However when then switching to the view I have to Problem described above.