Hi i was thinking of purchasing a i7700k  CPU and was wondering if this cooler, Corsair Hydro Series H55 High Performance All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler, 120 mm Radiator would be able to do a good job of cooling the CPU which I may o/c to 4.8 if not please recommend a cooler,any advice much appreciated.

Jim

thank you,Jim

Asus Prime Z270-P| I7700k@4.6| 16gDDR4 3000 VengLpx|

Corsair H115aio Cooler| Evga GeForce 1080gpu|Corsair Rm750

maybe this can help:

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/cpu_air_cooler_mega_test/1

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620996/best-aio-cooler-for-7700k

I'm going to build new PC relatively soon, so i'm watching this things. For air cooler, definitely Noctua. I have one, and i can OC my 2700K to 5.0 Ghz on Air, it's impresive. I keep it at 4.9 becouse i didn't liked Vcore :dry:

I newer tried AIO Cooler, so i may go for one this time. But for 4.8Ghz i'm pretty sure Noctua will do the job. Also, from what i've read, i'd recommend you to delid your CPU

I have the Corsair H55. It does just fine on a i7 4470k oced to 4.5 Ghz (dual core) and 4.3 Ghz (four cores.) I am capable of more but I choose not to operate at that heat level. (I would have to delid to get better temps.)

For more serious ocing I'd recommend the H100 series with their bigger radiator. Bigger is better in water as the larger radiator will dissipate more heat. I was limited on space for the radiator and went with the smaller radiator. The 80 and 115 each have thicker blocks. 

There is a newer AIO by ID-Cooling which includes both CPU and Video on one loop. I suspect that the combination into one radiator will cause higher temps across the loop but will keep the system more silent. It does include individual pumps for both the video and cpu blocks. 

I've been running an AIO for 3 years and not one sign of a leak or pump failure. I have the luck of the Irish when it comes to computer parts, if there is a lemon out there it would get shipped to me.

is it worth considering air coolers

. Jim

thank you,Jim

3 hours ago, jimimac said:

is it worth considering air coolers

. Jim

I'm running a 7700K on air using a Noctua NH-U9S  with no problems.  

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

I highly recommend delidding to get a cool stable overclock.  I use a H110i cooler on my 7700K and it works very well.  Easy to install and saves a lot of space inside your case if u have a good place to mount the radiator.

Matt Wilson

I use the H55 and it's excellent. Do yourself a favor if you get one, though, and throw the stock fans in the garbage (that advice may apply to most other AIO coolers as well). Then replace the fans with something like Cougar Vortex (super quiet and move a lot of air) in a push-pull configuration, sandwiching the radiator, and you're all set.

On 7/11/2017 at 5:22 AM, lodestar said:

For air cooler, definitely Noctua. I have one, and i can OC my 2700K to 5.0 Ghz on Air, it's impresive. I keep it at 4.9 becouse i didn't liked Vcore :dry:

The only thing I didn't like about my Noctua DH-14 was that it puts a lot of weight hanging sideways off the motherboard.  I had my motherboard fail recently so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

On 7/11/2017 at 5:40 AM, KenG said:

There is a newer AIO by ID-Cooling which includes both CPU and Video on one loop. I suspect that the combination into one radiator will cause higher temps across the loop but will keep the system more silent. It does include individual pumps for both the video and cpu blocks. 

I've been running an AIO for 3 years and not one sign of a leak or pump failure. 

You mean to say there is significant risk for leaks w/ modern AIO's?  No will put up with that if it's significant.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

25 minutes ago, Noel said:

You mean to say there is significant risk for leaks w/ modern AIO's?

No. That said, like anything with moving parts, there's always the risk of something going wrong but the early days of leaking AIOs are a thing of the past. There are some excellent air coolers out there (the Noctua D15 and D15s being good examples), but if you want the best possible cooling for a big overclock, short of installing a custom loop you can't beat a top-end AIO. Whichever cooler you choose, make sure that you check that it will fit in your case, particularly the big air coolers like the Noctuas.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks for all the replies just reading over the links als going to look at the be quiet dark rock 3 it looks a big cooler but will check out if it will fit in my case .

Thanks,jim

thank you,Jim

6 hours ago, vortex681 said:

No. That said, like anything with moving parts, there's always the risk of something going wrong but the early days of leaking AIOs are a thing of the past. There are some excellent air coolers out there (the Noctua D15 and D15s being good examples), but if you want the best possible cooling for a big overclock, short of installing a custom loop you can't beat a top-end AIO. Whichever cooler you choose, make sure that you check that it will fit in your case, particularly the big air coolers like the Noctuas.

I have a D14 that is 4y old and kept my 3930K between 48 and 60 at 4.42Ghz, but I also have another component of my cooling system which cools the entire PC and then some:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/513045-i9-7900x-andor-x299-motherboard-water-blocks/?do=findComment&comment=3661651

I likely with pick up an AIO for my next build even if the D14 fits just to get the big hanging weight off.  The radiator/fan that comes with it I will park hang directly in line w/ the air flow from my A/C unit.  I'm not sure why more people don't do this approach it's such an effective solution.

I did have good news today ASUS is sending me a replacement mobo for $140.  Hopefully I can get at least 4.3Ghz out of it, and it will buy some time for me til the dust clears on Threadripper.  Right now I'm leaning towards 7820x on the Intel side.

Noel