Sign in to follow this  

My 5960 Cpu is thermo throttling at 1.2 GHZ

About two months ago I bought a new Asus 1080 TI card. This was installed into a Rampage V Extreme motherboard with 16 Gigs of ram and Windows 10 Pro OS with the latest updates. The system had been working fine for the last 6 months but I thought it would be nice to try to get a few more FPS since I am going to use P3D V4.

After the install and updating to all the latest bios and drivers I started P3D V4 and with the default planes and no addon graphics I was getting 40 to 50 FPS. 

I installed my PMDC planes and now I am getting 15 to 20 FPS with the default graphics. I opened up Task manager and found that My CPU was locked at 1.17 GHZ.

I downloaded the Intel overclocking program and after installation I opened it up and it told me that I was in Thermal Throttling and the CPU was locked at 1.2GHZ even though the CPU temp was at 35 Degrees C.

I have installed Asus bios updates and earlier revisions with out any change.

I have contacted Intel which sent me a program to check the CPU. This checked out ok. Intel told me to contact ASUS.

I contacted ASUS and the spent a half hour on the phone with them going thru the Bios settings which did not correct the problem. They told me to buy another CPU to check out the board.

Well that is not going to happen with the old board. So now since I can not fix the problem

I guess I would like some of your thoughts on another system for Flight Sims. I want to buy the best I can buy as far as memory, CPU and mother board.

I have an Asus 34" curved monitor and will be buying another one for a two monitor setup to go with this system.

Thanking you in advance for some wonderful advice.

Tom Johnson

Hi Tom,

I'm certainly no expert on the your particular CPU, but there are a number of articles around about thermo throttling with the i75960X. Check Toms hardware or Bing / Google search. It may well be that in an effort to squeeze a few more Mhz out of your CPU you have exceeded the max core voltage 1.4v causing localised heat, or your CPU cooling is not dissipating heat efficiently. Check your cooling is running effectively and is not impeded or clogged.   (I know 35deg C is not very hot, but it depends which thermal sensor is giving you that reading and then throttling on that basis, potentially a faulty thermal sensor is instigating the thermal throttle). 

You should download Realtemp to determine what your core temps are running, and assess wether you are running dangerously close to Tjmax. (Throttling is there to protect your CPU but it will not protect you from overvolt ) If so you should lower the overclock or reset bios to failsafe default until you have a handle on why your CPU is throttling, or lower your core voltage to achieve the safest Overclock for your very expensive CPU.

Sorry I have no advice on the latest hardware tech for Flightsim's, I am a dinosaur and will end my simming days with an i74770k 4.6 OC, GTX770OC 4G, on an ASUS Expert MOBO, 16Gb 2400Mhz RAM, while being satisfied with FSX and current addons.

I have been running the CPU at the 3 GHZ level. I let ASUS Bios load the bios at the designed frequency. That was the first thing that Asus support had me do when I was on the phone with them.

Thanks for the tip though.

Here is an update to my Thermal Throttling.

I disabled the CPU cooler and did a stress on the CPU. I let it run until it shut sown. I thought if it burns up I will buy a new I7 7700 or i9 7900.

after the  shutdown I restarted and over clocked it to the ASUS 8 core 4.5 setting. ASUS does the automatically. 

It booted up and ran fine with no Thermal Throttle. I did a bench test and had a 2156 mark and a high temp of 186 F. It is still running so maybe it just needed a reset.

Hi Tom,

What do you mean by "disabled CPU cooler" (Water  or Air cooler???) and "then ran Stress test". I should imagine you would not even be able to load the OS before Thermo throttle occurred and subsequent BSOD, let alone begin a Stress Test.
A risky test for sure - if your CPU were to burn up the subsequent damage wouldn't just be limited to the CPU but could extend to Motherboard charring / fire or electrical damage to other components, ie; Graphics Card and RAM... (Never disable CPU coolers) - if you are troubleshooting a CPU Water cooler problem you should at the bare minimum refit a stock cooler heatsink & fan with new thermal compound (TIM).

It seems that thermo throttle begins at or around 96 Deg C for the i75960X, while you have reset the bios and ASUS overclock to 4.5Ghz the system is nolonger thermo throttling to 1.1 -1.2Ghz, a reset may have rectified the problem.
186 Deg F / 85.5 Deg C   -  4.5Ghz  is still on the hot side but I imagine this is after a full load benchtest, it would be good to see what temps you get while using FSX/P3D or at idle.

Here's a link to an interesting article: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

4.5Ghz is pretty darn close to Maximum OC on that processor with Water cooling, 4.6Ghz seems to be the top limit on best Air or Water cooling solutions. Setting safe Vcore around 1.3v, but there again every processor will achieve better or worse OC results with safe Vcore voltage settings lower than 1.3v, this of course needs to be bench tested to see where minimum Vcore = best achievable Overclocks. You would never want to exceed 1.35v or ever go as high as 1.4v ( this voltage and resulting temperature would definitely place your CPU into Thermo Throttle ).   

Cheers Jethro

Well to disable the CPU cooler means to unplug it from the board.

Yes you can start the OS since Thermal Throttling was on all the time. It was stuck on even though the CPU was at 39 Degrees C.

And as far as the stress test and CPU and Board damage. The system was of little use to me since I could not run Flight Sims at 1.2 GHZ. As I noted above I thought if it burns up I will buy a new I7 7700 or i9 7900.

This Thermo Throttling was on all the time no matter what the Temp was.

Also resetting the Bios did not help before this . I tried all the Bios updates from day one that this ASUS posted on their web site. Asus had redo this while I was on the phone with them.

Also the CPU voltage was never above 1.3 volts.

I am using a Corsair water cooler.

I was watching the Core Temp all the time I was doing the stress test, getting ready to pull the plug  before it went above 186 F.

It shut it's self down at 156 Degrees F.

That's when I restarted the system went to the Bios and let the Bios do its auto OC using the 8 core settings.

Thanks for the reply.

Intel Temperature Guide - by CompuTronix

Update: 08 July 2017

Preface

The topic of processor temperatures can be very confusing. The purpose of this Guide is to provide an understanding of standards, specifications, thermal relationships and test methods so temperatures can be uniformly tested and compared. This Guide supports Core X, Core i, Core 2, Pentium and Celeron Desktop processors running Windows Operating Systems.

Sections

1 - Introduction
2 - Ambient Temperature
3 - CPU Temperature
4 - Package Temperature
5 - Core Temperature
6 - Throttle Temperature
7 - Specifications and Temperature
8 - Overclocking and Voltage
9 - The TIM Problem
10 - Thermal Test Tools
11 - Thermal Test Basics
12 - Thermal Test at 100% Workload
13 - Thermal Test at Idle
14 - Improving Temperatures
15 - Summary
16 - References

Section 1 - Introduction

Intel Desktop processors have temperatures for each "Core" and a temperature for the entire "CPU". Core temperatures are measured at the heat sources near the transistor "Junctions" inside each of the Cores where temperatures are highest. CPU temperature is a single measurement centered on the external surface of the CPU's "Case" or "Integrated Heat Spreader" where the cooler is seated.

Core temperature is considerably higher than CPU temperature due to differences in the proximity of sensors to heat sources.

The Thermal Specification for Core temperature is "Tjunction" which is also called "Tj Max" (Temperature Junction Maximum) or “Throttle” temperature. The Thermal Specification for CPU temperature is "Tcase" (Temperature Case) which is a factory only measurement based on Intel's stock coolers.

Tcase and Tjunction (Tj Max) Thermal Specifications are both shown in Intel’s Datasheets, which include all specifications, definitions and technical descriptions. However, Intel's Product Specifications website should be viewed as a quick reference, since it only shows the Thermal Specification for Tcase or Tjunction (Tj Max). The Thermal Specification for 7th Generation processors is Tjunction (Tj Max), but for 6th Generation and all earlier processors it’s Tcase.

Here's where processor temperatures get confusing:

Since there are numerous software utilities for monitoring Core temperature, when users look up their processor's Thermal Specification on Intel's Product Specifications website, many don't realize what Tcase actually means, and assume it must be Core temperature. Tcase is not Core temperature. Intel has no documentation which describes the relationship between specifications and temperature that makes sense to the average user, so explanations are given in Section 7.

In order to get a clear perspective of processor temperatures, it's important to become familiar with the terminology and specifications. Links to Intel’s Datasheets are shown in Section 16 - References. Intel's "Product Specifications" website has a new layout from the former "Product Information" website. For easier navigation, after selecting your product, click on Filter: Desktop, then click on "Launch Date" or use Advanced Search.

Use CPU-Z to identify your processor, then look it up at Intel Product Specifications:

• CPU-Z - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
• Intel Product Specifications - http://ark.intel.com/#@Processors

Thanks for the input.

Tom Johnson