Sign in to follow this  
Senchai

Caution - TropicalSim TAPA installer destroys scenery.cfg

Hello,

not sure this is the right place, and also if posted again. If so, im sorry.

Topic is the newly (yesterday) released P3d v4 airport addon from TropicalSim, TAPA, buyable from SimMarket. The installer, this time not from simMarket themself, can destroy your scenery.cfg. Its the old known problem of changing the encoding of the file, resulting in the centent of it beeing chinese gibberish. Wich really shouldnt happen anymore by now... but thats not the point.

The installer gives you the option to add the scenery to the library manually and this is what you SHOULD choose in this case. Then you simply can add it by hand through p3d. If you already did the auto-add, then you can do the following

From TropicalSim support:
"Go to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 and rename the backup file the installer makes before editing "Scenery_Before_VC Bird TAPA P3Dv4.CFG" to "scenery.cfg". Now just open P3Dv4 and manually insert the scenery entry."

Hope it helps...

PS: the airport itself is awesome...good quality, with working dyn-lights etc.

Alex W.

BetaTeamB.png

Agreed I too was disappointed at how it jacked-up my scenery.cfg.....HOWEVER.....it created a backup which I merely re-instated as the original cfg and copied the entry from the one that TropicalSim create (which only had one entry - its own)

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I am surprised they have not read the SDK for P3D4 and using the wrong unicode writing to the scenery cfg.

The safest way to install any scenery, is to create  dummy p3d folder, copy prepare3d.exe to the dummy folder, direct the install to that folder and use Lorby;s addon organiser to install to p3D. I do that with every scenery addon, and the scenery cfg is never touched.

• Upvote 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

If you change PMDG's aircraft.cfg files to the correct P3D encoding of UCS-2 LE it also corrupts the file after you try using the operations center to install liveries. some developers are still using ansi encoding.

Julian, you are right, don't be surprised..even ORBX does not use the SDK to install their scenery , Carenado is another ..how can they claim it is P3D V4 compatible is beyond me...

Jorge

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, aeronauta said:

Julian, you are right, don't be surprised..even ORBX does not use the SDK to install their scenery , Carenado is another ..how can they claim it is P3D V4 compatible is beyond me...

Jorge

It seems A2A did it proper, thankfully.

5 minutes ago, CrownCityMisfits said:

It seems A2A did it proper, thankfully.

Irony is that RSR from PMDG wrote a lecture on scenery devs not following the P3D SDK, and they are one of the worst offenders, and as Jorge posted above, Orbx.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I had same issue with The Heron’s Nest 2.0 from iBlueYonder. Beware...

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

It really surprises me in this case. The airport itself is really good quality. Its very fluid, also in the combination od 747 (pmdg) and dynlights of the airport. Also its one of very few installers (i didnt see one other yet, from the 12 or 13 i bought for v4) that at least gives one the option to add manually.

And unlike others, there are actually really 3 installers, for all the different versions (fsx, p3d v3, p3d v4). And like they say on simmarket 

"

P3D v2/v3/v4 native materials custom ground option

Wet ground surface effect for P3Dv2/v3/v4 (via native custom ground)

Stock animated cars on highway and airport adjacent roads for FSX and Prepar3d versions

Compatible with add-on AI traffic

FSX version compatible with default and add-on FSX scenery

P3D version compatible with default and add-on P3D scenery

Usage of FSX SDK for the FSX version for best performance

Usage of Prepar3d SDK for the P3D version for best performance

Installers will detect sim location and add the scenery.cfg entry for FSX, FSX:SE, P3Dv1, P3Dv2, P3Dv3 & P3Dv4""

So it seems they did (nearly) everything right. Its really wiered why with all the extra work they did, this error still could happen

Alex

BetaTeamB.png

1 hour ago, Travelling_Wilbury said:

I am surprised they have not read the SDK for P3D4 and using the wrong unicode writing to the scenery cfg.

The safest way to install any scenery, is to create  dummy p3d folder, copy prepare3d.exe to the dummy folder, direct the install to that folder and use Lorby;s addon organiser to install to p3D. I do that with every scenery addon, and the scenery cfg is never touched.

Really smart. I have been installing these into separate directories and adding using the Lorby tool but this method is a great idea. 

• Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

is this lorby tool free?

• Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

AVSIM hosts his forums here and, yes, it is free.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

46 minutes ago, captain420 said:

is this lorby tool free?

As Jim posted Aaron, look for Lorby here at Avsim