Sign in to follow this  
Guest dogknot

Is there a way to do this with VC...

Guest bradzim

I am starting to use a VC with my LDS 767. I use my CH yoke to pan around the cockpit. However when looking up and to the right (overhead) or down to the right, I get the feel as though I am looking farther from the panel. Is there a way to make it so when I look in those directions, it would be as though I am moving closer to those areas? Does that make sense? In a sense it would be like moving my head closer to the actual panel in a real cockpit. Any ideas?Brad

You can become a master of keyboard instructions to move around the VC cockpit but that will drive you nutz. First recommendation though is to look into getting Active Camera, you then can use the mouse to pan around the cockpit (hold the third mouse button down) and in addition use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out (nice feature). Active Camera (in addition to all its other neat things) also allows you then to use the keypad to move about the cockpit and there are no limits on how far you can move (so in the ATR72 you can walk all the way back to the potty and flush it!).Secondly, if you can afford it (if you have CH's Yoke, pedals, and throtte quadrant than you can) TrackIR4 is the absolute best way to get around a VC, my review should be up in the next week and there's no going back now.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

I have a Yoke as well, and only fly in VC.Recently (the last couple months) I installed Flight Assistant which has allowed me to replace many of by Yoke button control over to voice commands.What that did was 'open up' some of my buttons on the yoke for new things. Not only do I use the hat switch for panning around, I have also set-up the two red buttons on the top of the left yoke to be used for 'zoom in' and 'zoom out'. So when I pan to the left of the panel, I can 'zoom in' to a gauge with one or two clicks of a button, and zoom back out as easy and quick.Works great.I'm at the point where I almost don't touch the keyboard at al; Only the yoke and mouse clicks on the panel itself.The Flight Assistant program is a great tool which allowed me much more flexibility in making the cockpit enviroment to be more efficiant and 'ergonomic'.

Guest Andy_CYXU

get the TRACKIR4 just got it it's amazing pc-pilot had it cheapest $161 USD with shipping, easy set up and all, at first though I wanted got to get used to it a little as in my case wen taxiing I had a desire to turn the aircraft with my head :), then I got used to it that's just looking around :)I also use Active Camera, but you really don't need it anymore, however great addition.TrackIR has no negative impact on my performance at all, I have a moderate p4-3ghz with ATI X850Pro video and 2gb of RAM

In the meantime, you can also use combinations of the ctrl,shift,enter, & backspace keys to move to different seats, up and down, etc.

Guest dogknot

...or there is the freeware F1View available in the library (requires a mousewheel). It will get you all around the VC as well.f1view.zip