Sign in to follow this  
RichieFly

Carenado King Air B200

Hello,

I apologise if this is the wrong spot for this question...

I got a notice from Carenado that the King Air B200 for "X-Plane 11 only" has been released.

My question: is this a new aircraft or an update to the existing B200 for X-Plane?

I have this aircraft. Checked the download page. It's the same version number I already have.

Ideas on what this 'new' aircraft is about?

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

It's a brand new B200 redesigned to take full advantage of XP11 features.  It's a new purchase.  The one in your download page is the XP10 version.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

There's been some debate on the XP11 updates being new releases- especially if you look on the book of face - but it takes work to make new features

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

52 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

There's been some debate on the XP11 updates being new releases- especially if you look on the book of face - but it takes work to make new features

Well, you're getting PBR textures with the new v11 models, and 4k textures where they weren't there before. And more importantly, adjustments to the new XP11 "breathing" turboprop modeling. It's why Carenado is doing those first. Unless you care about it hitting the performance numbers, and your ITT going crazy by using a v10 model in XP11.

I do a lot of flying in the Carenado PC-12 because I virtually "own" one in the FSEconomy game. I've made some tweaks in Planemaker to the v10 model so I don't get engine fires in XP11, but I'll gladly pay for the v11 model when it's released. Which should be soon... I think the C208b Caravan is next, and the other turboprops can't be far behind.

I would feel better about Carenado if they had just offered a 50% discount to owners of the v10 versions. I think they're making a mistake with that policy. But beggars can't be choosers. and  want that new v11 PC-12.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

46 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I love free updates just like the next guy ! But there isn't very much free in life. We all have bills to pay... But there shouldn't be any debate, you and I payed for XX on Version XX. The developer is under no obligation to give you a free or discount for the next version. You can vote with your credit card !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Thank you for you comments.

I'll be 'not' voting with my credit card.

I'm intrigued to see how turbo prop modeling has changed, but will wait till a sale or some reviews make this a irresistible buy. 

Still waiting for/wanting the perfect King Air.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

at first i was willing to shed money with the new versions but seeing the results so far with the 1900 and 200, the fears of most have been confirmed. 

Its basically the v10 plane with PBR textures and engine modifications. 

There is no new model, no new sounds, no new logic or other improvements to this plane apart from xp11 compability most others provide aswell. This and the "we will see in the future maybe i dont know" statement about fmod, gives me little hope that there will be substancial improvements over the v10 version.

If you don´t own the v10 the full price is ok. (which is what i guess carrenado is banking on with fsx converts). If you own the v10 i would be hardpressed to shell out the full price again.  For me as i own around 15 of the Carrenado planes i will only rebuy the REPified planes on sale and dont bother with the rest. With an upgrade fee i might have been persuaded else but its the choice of the developer and he has all rights to do it.  Seeing as the new planes come out around every 14 days, i highly doubt a lot of other people are buying the "its a whole new plane and so much work to do it"

Like i said i can understand there reasoning for the pricing but when the majority of your customers don´t and will constantly bring this up in every thread, refuse to rebuy in bulk and cause a stir i am still unsure if it was worth the trouble. Even if you read the email "PBR materials authored with industry-standard software used by the film and gaming industries." you can see the marketing department trying hard to sell it. And you now there is nothing signifcantly new if 3 lines alone talk about adapt to xp11 instead of only one. I guess we will see in the end how it all plays out. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, alpha12125 said:

at first i was willing to shed money with the new versions but seeing the results so far with the 1900 and 200, the fears of most have been confirmed. 

Its basically the v10 plane with PBR textures and engine modifications. 

There is no new model, no new sounds, no new logic or other improvements to this plane apart from xp11 compability most others provide aswell. This and the "we will see in the future maybe i dont know" statement about fmod, gives me little hope that there will be substancial improvements over the v10 version.

Well, another way to look at it is that you're buying insurance along with the v11 model.

The XP10 cycle lasted for what, four or five years? XP11 was just released, and we're probably looking at a similar stretch before XP12 comes out. Carenado is committing to support the new v11 models for the full cycle, with whatever changes come along that require updates.

From what I've heard, Austin still isn't finished tinkering with the turboprop modeling. There are outstanding issues with ground handling, and who knows what else he'll want to dabble with during the next few years. I wish he'd get on to weather system improvements myself, but he's the big flight/engine modeling guy at Laminar and he can't seem to resist constant improvement. Good for us users as the sim moves forward, not so great for the plane developers. The fact that XP is a moving target has always been tough on developers.

I know the Carenado full price policy is rough for anyone with a large v10 fleet, but those v10 planes just don't work well in v11 (especially the turboprops). At least the v11 ones should hit the real-world performance numbers, and the iterative testing for that is probably a big part of what you're paying for. Mainly though, you're buying a solid four, five, or whatever years of free support going forward with the new models, on a platform that isn't standing still.

I only have a few Carenado planes -- F33 Bonanza, C208b Caravan, Pilatus PC-12, and the Aero Commander (which is already a v11 version). I'll update the ones I fly the most first, and the others can wait. I think that's a reasonable approach, even for those with large Carenado fleets. Do you really fly all those planes, all the time, or just a few favorites? Update the favorites first.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

16 hours ago, Anxu00 said:

It's a brand new B200 redesigned to take full advantage of XP11 features.  It's a new purchase.  The one in your download page is the XP10 version.

If it's anything like their B1900 which I have for XP10 then no thanks I will pass on their  updated for 'XP11'. Or wait for Twitch streamer below to create a proper aircraft flight model ;-)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/154914107

• Upvote 1

On 12.7.2017 at 4:19 PM, Paraffin said:

Well, another way to look at it is that you're buying insurance along with the v11 model.

The XP10 cycle lasted for what, four or five years? XP11 was just released, and we're probably looking at a similar stretch before XP12 comes out. Carenado is committing to support the new v11 models for the full cycle, with whatever changes come along that require updates.

From what I've heard, Austin still isn't finished tinkering with the turboprop modeling. There are outstanding issues with ground handling, and who knows what else he'll want to dabble with during the next few years. I wish he'd get on to weather system improvements myself, but he's the big flight/engine modeling guy at Laminar and he can't seem to resist constant improvement. Good for us users as the sim moves forward, not so great for the plane developers. The fact that XP is a moving target has always been tough on developers.

I know the Carenado full price policy is rough for anyone with a large v10 fleet, but those v10 planes just don't work well in v11 (especially the turboprops). At least the v11 ones should hit the real-world performance numbers, and the iterative testing for that is probably a big part of what you're paying for. Mainly though, you're buying a solid four, five, or whatever years of free support going forward with the new models, on a platform that isn't standing still.

I only have a few Carenado planes -- F33 Bonanza, C208b Caravan, Pilatus PC-12, and the Aero Commander (which is already a v11 version). I'll update the ones I fly the most first, and the others can wait. I think that's a reasonable approach, even for those with large Carenado fleets. Do you really fly all those planes, all the time, or just a few favorites? Update the favorites first.

i know all the support arguments and i can understand it to some extent. But not all planes are that old. Alot of planes where released after 64 bit conversion, even a few after the GPS 10.3 update. 
I might be less annoyed if the bugs where actually be adressed and the plane would actually get new features, but we are at a point where basic compability on 30 ish planes is a task that can barely be kept up by one person that is additional chugging out new planes. 

Why is it that every developer that relases a paid v11 update vastly improves the plane ontop of the pbr and other basic compatibility?  The dc-3 v2 that is currently being worked own has a complete new model that is vastly more detailed while using fewer polygons and we still get that for an update price ?  Why did FF argue the same but at least they vastly improved the 757 in all other areas as well and sold it at an (albeit steep) upgrade price ? How will Dan keep up and provide any improvement for an ever increasing fleet of planes that continue to get more complex by the minute ? There are numerous bug around all planes, and if they are not severe enough that they keep the plane from flying, they won`t get patched or maybe get fixed when a severe bug hits that warrants a patch. This is not full support in my eyes this is basic compability. IF i pay full price again, i expect advances in the planes. And dont start with the people that are stuck with a g1000 in xp10 that wont get further developed in xp10. 

I know it is probably not dan´s fault and the pricing is done at carrenado hq. And while it sounds i am completley enranged about this, it is not true.  I accept that every developer has his right to charge what he wants, it`s just my pet peeve when people try to sell an x for an y and argue that it`s the only way. 

• Upvote 3