Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Nvidia Control Panel and P3D v4

Since Nvidia Inspector is basically dead with v4 what is the best config for Nvidia Control Panel for Global a Program setting.

I am dealing with micro and semi microstutters on takeoff and final app no matter what scenery or aircraft I use..

Thanks

Randy Smith

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

Following this, although I have heard of some people continuing to use NVI in conjunction with AA set in sim. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, flynman33 said:

Since Nvidia Inspector is basically dead with v4 what is the best config for Nvidia Control Panel for Global a Program setting.

I am dealing with micro and semi microstutters on takeoff and final app no matter what scenery or aircraft I use..

Thanks

Randy Smith

Hi Randy--what frequency is your monitor(s) 30hz or 60hz?

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

2 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

Hi Randy--what frequency is your monitor(s) 30hz or 60hz?

60hz  not adjustable.

Intel I7 6700 4.0 CPU Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive  16GB DDR4 Crucial RAM. Corsair 750 Watt PSU.

EVGA NVIDIA GTX1080 FTW GPU

2 hours ago, flynman33 said:

Thanks

Randy Smith

I have a simular issue at KSFO (Flightbeam) with FTX NCA activated so it might not just be Nvidia´s fault. 

Maybe you could give some locations and i could test it as well ? 

I also using GTX 970 (mostly SLI 382.33 drivers)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:21 PM, flynman33 said:

60hz  not adjustable.

I can set my 4k monitor at 30 HZ, but the manual says it will not be true 4k high definition, so I leave it at 60hz.  I then use the Nvidia Inspector setting that imposes a 1/2 refresh rate and leave the internal sim at unlimited frame rate.  That effectively gives 30HZ.  I believe p3d all versions run better at 30hz refresh rate.   This is what I do and it works well.  It's in Rob A's excellent P3D settings guide.

29 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

I then use the Nvidia Inspector setting that imposes a 1/2 refresh rate and leave the internal sim at unlimited frame rate.  That effectively gives 30HZ

So are you saying you are getting a fixed frame rate of 30 in P3D with these settings?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:07 PM, gboz said:

So are you saying you are getting a fixed frame rate of 30 in P3D with these settings?

gb.

Not truly fixed.  In most cases the sim stays around 30 fps.  Sometimes it goes up or down depending on scenery, clouds etc., but 30fps is the norm.

11 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

Not truly fixed.  In most cases the sim stays around 30 fps.  Sometimes it goes up or down depending on scenery, clouds etc., but 30fps is the norm.

I'll have to check Rob's guide again but most people here, including me, seem to agree that 1/2 refresh rate in NI does not work with P3D. If you go to a default location with little or no autogen (like say a desert) in a default plane what frame rate do you get?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:28 PM, gboz said:

I'll have to check Rob's guide again but most people here, including me, seem to agree that 1/2 refresh rate in NI does not work with P3D. If you go to a default location with little or no autogen (like say a desert) in a default plane what frame rate do you get?

gb.

80 fps+

40 minutes ago, vp49p3 said:

80 fps+

Well really that shows 1/2 refresh rate is not working here.
If it was you would be back at around 30 of course.

Edit: (NI 1/2 refresh rate is about limiting frame rates, nothing to do with changing the actual refresh rate of the monitor)

gb.

Use the nvidiaProfileInspector fps limiter in P3D:

In the sim Display Settings set fps to Unlimited VSync=Off and set sliders far enough left so that we can observe (shift-Z) the sim running easily at more than the monitor refresh frequency.

Set VSync=On and observe the fps is now running at approximately the monitor refresh frequency say 60Hz for example.

Making a profile: Right-click - NVidia Control Panel - Manage 3D Settings, Global Settings, Default, Apply - Program Settings, select Prepar3D (add and point to v4 .exe), temporarily we are going to change vertical sync to off to create a new profile for nvidiaProfileInspector.exe (basically changing anything creates the new profile), Apply, Exit.

Start nvidiaProfileInspector.exe and select the Prepar3D profile, set vsync back to app controlled, set fps limit to 29.5 - Apply.

Start the sim and is limited to ~30, we can add some stability with VSync=On, we can also try  TP=On for more consistent fps.

• Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

6 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Start nvidiaProfileInspector.exe and select the Prepar3D profile, set vsync back to app controlled, set fps limit to 29.5 - Apply.

Wouldn't 30.5 be a better option?

gb.

If the monitor is quoted as 60Hz but is actually say 63 in operation, then 31.5 may be better, who knows?

6 hours ago, SteveW said:

Use the nvidiaProfileInspector fps limiter in P3D:

In the sim Display Settings set fps to Unlimited VSync=Off and set sliders far enough left so that we can observe (shift-Z) the sim running easily at more than the monitor refresh frequency.

Set VSync=On and observe the fps is now running at approximately the monitor refresh frequency say 60Hz for example.

Making a profile: Right-click - NVidia Control Panel - Manage 3D Settings, Global Settings, Default, Apply - Program Settings, select Prepar3D (add and point to v4 .exe), temporarily we are going to change vertical sync to off to create a new profile for nvidiaProfileInspector.exe (basically changing anything creates the new profile), Apply, Exit.

Start the sim and is limited to ~30, we can add some stability with VSync=On, we can also try  TP=On for more consistent fps.

A good thing to do is try out what I have showed in the comment above. Set the sim up with low graphics so it can easily outperform the monitor refresh and try setting the P3D VSync On/Off to properly determine the behaviour of P3D rendering. Increase the graphics settings until the sim fps cannot reach this monitor refresh frequency. Introduce the NI limiter if the setup of the sim has been determined to be unable to reach the monitor refresh. Choose a sim graphics setup and a limit that the sim can maintain throughout the flight.

These Display Settings in P3D are not just for final setting up of the sim, they are also used for profiling the performance before final setting. 

VSync in P3D Display Settings is not the same as vsync in NI. NI vsync pertains to fullscreen exclusive mode apps like FSX so NI settings like half refresh don't work with P3D since P3D is a desktop window and the actual monitor vsync is fixed to the desktop setting. VSync=On in P3D Display Settings merely uses the monitor timing to determine the limit to apply.

The point I am making is that the sim will run at whatever fps it can with P3D Display Settings Unlimited on the fps slider with VSync=Off, but when VSync=On is applied the sim will limit at the monitor refresh frequency. This frequency may be too high so we can use the limiter in NI instead.

With unlimited and no limiter each frame is made as soon as the last is finished. That means the objects positions in each frame is determined by the average time between frames so the actual frame is computed for a time that the frame is not displayed at. The triple buffer setting merely introduces a more consistent time between frames so that the average period is more consistent, at the cost of a slight input delay. The locked setting is not a limiter and frames are built into a look-ahead buffer, the input delay is as long as the buffer, but each frame physics is determined by a deliberately consistent time period so the objects appear where they were computed to appear. This requires a powerful PC, since to maintain the buffer requires at least double the fps or more else any wobble will deplete the buffer and it takes too long to replenish. Setting locked at 30 when you can only ever see 35fps with Unlimited won't work, you need to see 60fps+ for locked 30 to be of any use.

• Upvote 3