Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Nvidia Control Panel and P3D v4

Hi Randy, Hi Guys,

just to let you know that I had the exact same problem : microstutter with P3D v4 and 60 Hz only triple monitor through nVidia Surround (whereas P3D v3.4 is still running smoothly).

This was quite annoying since my rig is pretty decent (i4790k @ 4.8GHz, Win 7 64 pro, 16 Gb of RAM, GTX 1080).

I, at last, found a way to make it run VERY smoothly by adding an Affinity Mask in the config file (AM=85 in my case).

Hope it will help,

Francois

Francois Mavel

This is great info, Steve.

For me, I just set nvidia control panel profile up for p3dv4 with single monitor and max performance.

In nvidia inspector, I choose to limit frames to 30.5. That's it as far as nvidia settings.

In sim, with unlimited fps, v-sync and tb on, although my settings are quite high, I usually maintain above 30 fps, so the NI limiter makes thing very smooth.

The times when I do drop below 30fps, (at EGLL Uk2000 in ORBX England for example with PMDG 747) when the frames are down to 23 -25 range, it is still a decent experience. Yes there are stutters but not that terrible to be a spoiler.

The only other setting I play with is AA. I have an NEC EA234 WMi IPS monitor 1900 x 1200.

In daytime flight I run at 4xMSS, second highest setting, with dynamic lighting off.

At night I reduce aa to 4xMSAA with dynamic lighting on, this is to avoid having my frames crippled by dynamic lighting at higher aa settings.

Stu

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

Yes good point Stu. I should have mentioned when setting low graphics (to deduce a starting point in performance testing), not only set sliders left but also turn off AA before making initial tests, since AA can flat-line the fps and appear very much like a limiter is in action.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...another thing to check out if experiencing problems with fps is to see if undocked panels reduce fps...before setting out make sure to default any NVidia Control Panel profiles before investigating driver issues.

7 hours ago, gboz said:

Wouldn't 30.5 be a better option?

gb.

I have been thinking about that gb. I think what you are suggesting is that if the monitor is 60Hz, then set a slightly faster limit say 30.5 rather than 29.5? What happens is that with VSync=On the slightly faster fps limit costs more GPU and the frame is sent anyway to be held up often for almost the entire next period, introducing long frames, the slightly less fps limit requires less GPU and the frame is constantly queued for the remainder of the time to frame whatever happens. On a trace you can see fps attempting to stay above VSync produces a lumpy behaviour.

...here's a trace of my 60Hz monitor (actually runs nearer 59Hz) using P3D v4 and NVidia Profile Inspector. Shows it's far better to select the slightly lower fps limit than vsync:

p3d_vsync_ni_fpslimit.jpg

25 minutes ago, SteveW said:

...here's a trace of my 60Hz monitor (actually runs nearer 59Hz) using P3D v4 and NVidia Profile Inspector. Shows it's far better to select the slightly lower fps limit than vsync:

Excellent Steve, I would not have suspected that.

Edit: But as you said above a true 60Hz monitor, or slightly above 60Hz, might be different?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

On 13/07/2017 at 2:11 AM, SteveW said:

Use the nvidiaProfileInspector fps limiter in P3D:

In the sim Display Settings set fps to Unlimited VSync=Off and set sliders far enough left so that we can observe (shift-Z) the sim running easily at more than the monitor refresh frequency.

Set VSync=On and observe the fps is now running at approximately the monitor refresh frequency say 60Hz for example.

Making a profile: Right-click - NVidia Control Panel - Manage 3D Settings, Global Settings, Default, Apply - Program Settings, select Prepar3D (add and point to v4 .exe), temporarily we are going to change vertical sync to off to create a new profile for nvidiaProfileInspector.exe (basically changing anything creates the new profile), Apply, Exit.

Start nvidiaProfileInspector.exe and select the Prepar3D profile, set vsync back to app controlled, set fps limit to 29.5 - Apply.

Start the sim and is limited to ~30, we can add some stability with VSync=On, we can also try  TP=On for more consistent fps.

Huh ?

First I am setting the sim to get fps to exceed the monitor refresh frequency.

Then I am setting VSync=On to show that the fps is pulled down to the monitor refresh frequency. VSync in P3D obtains the monitor timing to steer the GPU fps output to result with near monitor refresh frequency.

Then I am demonstrating to make a profile but first ensuring the profiles are set to defaults, since missing this step could mean we inherit a poor setting in the profile from changing or updating drivers or just having fiddled with them at some stage.

Then I am using NPI to set an actual frame limit on the GPU.

On 7/13/2017 at 5:18 AM, SteveW said:

p3d_vsync_ni_fpslimit.jpg

Gold. Have mine at 30.5, will reset to 29.5. I have triple buffering on in P3D as well along with vsync and unlimited frames.

Eric 

Remember that using NPI settings like fps Limit can cause issues like half fps when undocking a panel. Check it out carefully when making settings and be sure to Restore/Apply those profiles, especially with updated drivers since new capabilities in new drivers can fool profiles settings.

• Upvote 1

I have no need to lock frames anywhere.  Just set my monitor to run at 30hz and that does the trick.  

That's exactly what we are discussing - using P3D VSync=On to set the GPU fps output to near the monitor refresh frequency.

Where can I find Rob A's Settings Guide?

Regards,

Shelman S.

Intel i9 9900KS, o/c @ 5.1 GHz; EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming; GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER; Thermaltake 32GB RAM @ 3600 DDR4; 3xSabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB SSDs; LG UltraGear 38GL950G-B 38" 21:9 Curved 144 Hz G-SYNC IPS Gaming Monitor; Acer Predator x34 UHD (3440x1440) @ 100hz GSYNC; Windows 10 64 bit; X-Plane 10; X-Plane 11.5r2, DCS World Open Beta, Prepar3dv4.5; Prepar3dv5 Professional. Honeycomb Yoke, Saitek Pedals, Switch, and Autopilot Panels. Obutto R3Volution Cockpit. Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and F18 Joysticks and Throttle.