Sign in to follow this  
flynman33

Nvidia Control Panel and P3D v4

Hi,

I got this topic from a colleague sent to me, which would help me because of my low FPS nit the P3D v4.1.

I have a Curved Screen with 3 projectors. With the P3D v3 I always have over 25 FPS. I'm just 13 FPS on the V4.

With Flye Elise Warp program even under 10. No matter what I do, I do not really get more FPS. Everything on low Stuffe and off results in about 5 FPS more.

I have a Qaudcor I7 6700K 4GHZ with OC at 4.2GHZ, 16GB Ram 2x 250GB SSD a nir for the P3D and Addons and a GTX 1080 TI FE.

What else could I do? Tested with AS LSZH, GEP3D and UT Europe.

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Best regards

Urs

Sequence of setup:

In P3D Display Settings, VSync=Off, Unlimited fps on the slider, so we can see the max fps generating.

Turn all the graphics and AA down to get the most fps we can, so the GPU is not a bottleneck.

Set up the P3D AM and addons AM, keeping addons off of the main P3D core or LPs of that core. If the GPU is the bottleneck we don't see much changes no matter what AMs we try.

In Task Manager look at the CPU graphs, with HT enabled any one of a pair of LPs maxed means that entire core is maxed.

Running the sim we should see the main core reaching 100%.

Decide on the monitor refresh frequency we desire (becomes our fps). Set up a monitor profile or set the monitor frequency to the desired rate.

In P3D display settings set VSync=On, Unlimited on the fps slider.

In the sim see we are running fps at around the monitor refresh frequency.

In Task Manager see the main core is no longer at 100%

Turn up graphics and AA until the main core is just under 100%, this overhead is there to soak up increases in throughput as we change views to more complex ones.

• Upvote 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, Ursli80 said:

Hi,

I got this topic from a colleague sent to me, which would help me because of my low FPS nit the P3D v4.1.

Urs

Hello Urs, nice to see here asking questions, @SteveW has a lot of experience with this and I am sure his invaluable advises will help you!

Best Regards,
Simbol

• Upvote 1

Hello SteveW,

Thank you very much for your tip. Unfortunately, I have no idea what AM is. Also, I have no idea as I can stop addons of the GPU.

HT does not tell me anything. I did not have to bother with the P3D V3 because it worked very well with the 3 projectors and all addons.

Also, translating with the Google Translator does not make it any easier, as I only speak German.

It would be cool if I could get back in the 25 FPS with the V4.

Best regards

Urs

6 hours ago, SteveW said:

Sequence of setup:

Set up the P3D AM and addons AM, keeping addons off of the main P3D core or LPs of that core. If the GPU is the bottleneck we don't see much changes no matter what AMs we try.

In Task Manager look at the CPU graphs, with HT enabled any one of a pair of LPs maxed means that entire core is maxed.

Running the sim we should see the main core reaching 100%.

On mine with AM 116 and HT on, my CPUs are around 56%.  Should I aim to drive core0 higher?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

We are going through a sequence of settings so we can determine that the CPU is driven less hard when we have fps capacity above the monitor frequency and then we enable VSync=On..

And so the values given are hypothetical and are not recommendations just examples. If you are not at 100% with VSync=Off and Unlimited fps on the slider you have a good CPU or very minimal settings.

1 hour ago, bic said:

On mine with AM 116 and HT on, my CPUs are around 56%.  Should I aim to drive core0 higher?

The point is that you're below 100% so you can rest easy

Hi SteveW,

Some advice Please?

I'm Brian, I'm running P3dV4.1, with a lot of ORBX, MCE, AS4, ASCA, Chase Plane, PTA and ENVTEX, UTlive. Hyper threading on, AM 244, Process Lasso.

I have P3d to run from Core 2 to 7, and all the add-on`s to run from 0 to 1.

My frame rate is set to 36. Most settings are high, Vsync=On

My system is i7 7700K OC to 4.6, GPU  GeForce GTX 1080 TI (Minimal OC), 32 gig of 3200 DDR4 ram.

I run three Asus ROG Strix 27" curved gaming screens 144Hz, with a small 60Hz screen for my map.

My fps on average out of YPPH are 24 and drop to 17 until I have cleared the city and airport then they go up to 34.

Just prior to actually Vertical speed and taking off,  when MCE states V1, I get a small freeze, throughout most flights I get small stutters, nothing too dramatic, no blurriness.

Is there anything I should be doing differently in NVidia Inspector, or with my settings to avoid these stutters, or increase fps or smoothness

Regards

Brian Baxter (BJ from OZ)

On 04/12/2017 at 5:05 PM, SteveW said:

First I am setting the sim to get fps to exceed the monitor refresh frequency.

Then I am setting VSync=On to show that the fps is pulled down to the monitor refresh frequency. VSync in P3D obtains the monitor timing to steer the GPU fps output to result with near monitor refresh frequency.

Then I am demonstrating to make a profile but first ensuring the profiles are set to defaults, since missing this step could mean we inherit a poor setting in the profile from changing or updating drivers or just having fiddled with them at some stage.

Then I am using NPI to set an actual frame limit on the GPU.

Hi Steve.

So, the Vert Sync = ON setting, in P3d, takes it lead from the nVidia cap of say, 30 fps..... which ensures that with a 60 hz monitor, eveything is synchronised ?

So, P3D settings should be:  Unlimited fps, TB = ON, Vert Sync = ON...... and then limit the framerate in nVidia Inspector to 30 fps...?

Thnx

VSync=On looks at the Monitor refresh frequency and only tries to time the next frame to coincide with it. A 60Hz monitor will steer the GPU toward 60Hz. However it's only "steered", not limited. So we can use the limiter in NPI to cap the fps. At 60fps on a 60Hz monitor it will save a few % throughput, however we can use 30, 20 and 15 on a 60 for optimum coincidence with the limiter added in. Use a limit just below your frequency - 29.5ps for 30Hz (or 60Hz), not 30.5fps which requires 1/30th more throughput to just be chopped at the frequency to produce the unstable graph I demonstrated earlier..

The Triple Buffer does nothing to improve or ruin the stability of the flow of fps. Rather, the TB merely asserts more regular timing for the next frame time - physics and locations of objects in the next frame.

16 hours ago, Ursli80 said:

Hello SteveW,

Thank you very much for your tip. Unfortunately, I have no idea what AM is. Also, I have no idea as I can stop addons of the GPU.

HT does not tell me anything. I did not have to bother with the P3D V3 because it worked very well with the 3 projectors and all addons.

Also, translating with the Google Translator does not make it any easier, as I only speak German.

It would be cool if I could get back in the 25 FPS with the V4.

Best regards

Urs

Sorry but unfortunately I cannot go over all the nomenclature and descriptions of technical matters every time I make a post, or indeed post in several languages. Some legwork by yourself will be required to understand the technical matters about which I'm posting.

steve, 

what should the settings in the ndviva control panel be regarding vsync and buffering ?

many thanks  

Capture.png

14ppkc-6.png

Don't use any of that, leave it up to P3D Display Settings. Default/Apply the profile in NVidia Control Panel.