Sign in to follow this  
VeeTHis

Certain add-on planes not pulling up

Hello there!

Okay, so the issue I'm having is that with FSX add-on planes. The two add-on planes I'm having issues with, which both are freeware, is the MD-88, DH Dash 8-100, and the Embraer 190. Might be one more but I honestly don't remember any others. The names of the planes are hyperlinked to where I got them from.

I installed all of them into my FSX:SE folder (that's the only version of the game I have), so FSX > SimObjects > Airplanes. I have all the gauges and effects and everything correctly installed for them. Is it a compatibility issue or something? All the places I got them from stated that they were for FSX. The website I got the Dash 8-100 from even had another version for FS9.

I've been thinking about trying to set the altitude to about 5000, turning autopilot on, then putting throttle at full, so when I get enough speed to takeoff I just activate Altitude Hold and probably Autothrottle and Speed Hold too. That might just work if taking off manually doesn't.

I really hope someone can help me out with this. :)

I'm trying the MD-88 download to make sure it works!  Is this the path you are using for your

SimObjects forder?   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\379233\SimObjects\Airplanes

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

6 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Is this the path you are using for your SimObjects forder?   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\DLC\379233\SimObjects\Airplanes

It should be ...\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes without the DLC\379233.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

The path the MD-88 for me is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\MD-88.

Would putting it in DLC instead of SimObjects\Airplanes do anything?

1 minute ago, vortex681 said:

It should be ...\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes without the DLC\379233.

OK, sounds good to me!  I copied that from another post where the guy had problems adding

liveries to his aircraft. OP, make sure you have checked the boxes for All Models, Manufacturers,

and Show All Variations on your aircraft Select Page.  The MD-88 showed up fine on the Select page.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

6 minutes ago, VeeTHis said:

The path the MD-88 for me is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes\MD-88.

Probably not.  See what I posted about the Select Aircraft page!

selectpage.jpg

Charlie Aron

1 minute ago, VeeTHis said:

You've put it in the correct place. The only things which go into the DLC folder are add-ons which have been purchased from Steam.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

EDIT - people may be barking up the wrong tree. Pulling up isn't the same as showing up ;). Your last paragraph gave me the clue- the aircraft won't rotate despite attaining flying speed and more.

Whilst you're in the main menu have a look at the change fuel and payload - it may be that some are quite a bit over MTOW.

OK - try setting a bunch of UP trim before you take off. For example, have a look at the default Cessna. It has an indicator on the trim gauge for takeoff position - it takes rather a lot of trim input to set that position on the gauge. However, having done that, the Cessna just lifts off on its own at about 70 knots :)

Edited by HighBypass
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

OK, if it's a case of not rotating when you pull back on the stick (I normally call this takeoff)

then you need to manually add several clicks of up elevator trim.  Press NumPad 1 about 3

times before adding power.  The OP needs to clarify exactly what he means.  Pull up, pull out,

push up, push down, pushback can have many different meanings.

I see he did actually use the term take off in  his last sentence.

• Upvote 2

Charlie Aron

It was the bit about using the autopilot to take off. Sorry if you went on a bit of a wild goose chase Charlie.:cool:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks for the help guys. Just tried adjusting the elevator trim up a few times, and now it works! One thing I forgot to state in the original post is that even at speeds of over 200 knots, it still didn't pull up!

I'm a little bit above a beginner flight simmer, so I really don't know what the elevator trim and stuff does (before you ask, I know what the rudders do...), but I do know how to effectively manage speed (only using the flaps and throttle, no speed brakes), I also know how to use autopilot except I don't know how to do ILS landings, etc. Since the elevator trim is one of the things I don't know how works, that's why I never really mess with it. I would've never thought about adjusting the elevator trim, though... I really need to research that stuff more.

This is a bit Off-Topic, the rest of this post:

Also, about the part of using the correct terms, isn't "take-off" and "pull up" the same thing? I know "pulling up" is just moving the control stick (whatever the heck it's called) down to make it ascend up. Doesn't "taking off" apply to the whole process from getting on the runway to getting off the ground? Now, "push up" and "push down"... yeah, that doesn't sound anything close to what I'm talking about. And "pushback"... well, everybody knows what Pushback is.

I also did try using the autopilot to take off. I set the speed for Autothrottle/Speed Hold to 200 knots, altitude for Altitude Hold to 4000 ft, and Vertical Speed to 1000.

The results: one stall, and three successes. I only tried it four times in total on the Airbus A321.

So I guess it is possible to use autopilot for take off? :V

Sorry to be pedantic, but to answer your questions... Well, "pull up" is different to take off - pull-up would refer to pulling back on the stick (yoke, or sidestick if you're in an Airbus (not the 300) ) any time whilst the plane is in the air. Doing that whilst on the ground doesn't make the plane ascend, it only "rotates" the plane around the main undercarriage so that it will ascend, assuming flying speed has been attained.

Anyway I'm glad you're flying!! :cool:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

By the by, I did download and try your link to the Embraer 190.  I was able to use a 5000 foot runway

and takeoff using 92% N1 on the throttles and flaps in the 2nd position.  No elevator pitch was

necessary until I got the wheels up and the flaps to Zero.  I then need to add elevator pitch to

continue the climb out.  Definitely some funky aircraft you found!

Charlie Aron

On 7/12/2017 at 7:50 PM, VeeTHis said:

I also did try using the autopilot to take off. I set the speed for Autothrottle/Speed Hold to 200 knots, altitude for Altitude Hold to 4000 ft, and Vertical Speed to 1000.

The results: one stall, and three successes. I only tried it four times in total on the Airbus A321.

So I guess it is possible to use autopilot for take off? :V

Based off of some of what you've posted so far regarding you aviation knowledge, I'd recommend approaching your flying as you would in the real world. Start off mastering the basics in the default Cessna 172, then move up to twin engine props then to jets. FSX has a built in learning center and a lot more can be found here and online. In regards to your autopilot take off, what you posted is not how it's done. Usually with jet, not prop, airliners the altitude, course and engine thrust is set via the MCP and FMC. Prior to takeoff navigation, altitude constraints are set and armed but not activated until your typically above 400' or higher. The only thing active would be the auto throttle which would limit engine thrust but speed will controlled by pitch usually to maintain a climb out. You wouldn't be departing using VS and airspeed controls on the autopilot. 

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator