Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Do 4K textures impact FPS?

Good question. I have the feeling that on my rig there is no impact (6700 oc to 4.5 and 1080gtx)

Carsten U

Yes, they will do. Anything which has more information moving around the screen will by definition require more processing, so that could of course impact on how fast a computer can do that.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Running 4k is equivalent to running a game on x4 1080 monitors. so of course its going to require more CPU & GPU power. That means lower frames.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

1 hour ago, YukonPete said:

Running 4k is equivalent to running a game on x4 1080 monitors. so of course its going to require more CPU & GPU power. That means lower frames.

Hi Pete,

4k textures and 4k monitors are 2 different things. 4k textures refer to the size of the texture files. Textures for aircraft and e.g. airport objects or clouds are combined into files of a certain pixel size. The larger these files, the more details can be shown when zooming in (independent  of monitor resolution). Higher resolution texture files take a bit longer to process and will use more VRAM on your GPU.

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

There are many discussions of 4K technology in the Graphics Card Hardware Forum too.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Pretty good question. I wonder this myself because I have done several test on my system, 2048x2048 vs 4096x4096 texture seems very similar on performance...or I didn't test enough?

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

The real question is... how many actual 4k textures are in the sim?  In other words, just because you select 4kx4k, doesn't mean the sim has all textures at that resolution.  Would be interesting to know the details.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

31 minutes ago, WarpD said:

The real question is... how many actual 4k textures are in the sim?  In other words, just because you select 4kx4k, doesn't mean the sim has all textures at that resolution.  Would be interesting to know the details.

This is a good point, and one relevant to developers too if their development images were not originally taken at a suitably high resolution. Just because a texture gets ramped up to contain more pixels doesn't mean it will look any better if the info on those additional pixels wasn't there on the original image in the first place.

Expecting that is a bit like when you see those terrible CSI cop shows, where some detective hands a technician a CCTV picture which looks like it was taken from in orbit with a potato, and asks: 'Can you enhance that for me?' whereupon said technician quickly taps a few keys on their computer, the one which apparently has a magic version of Photoshop on it, and suddenly you can read a license plate number on the image. :laugh:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here