Sign in to follow this  
jasonstory44

Advice on starting clean and building new

So of course after weeks of adding scenery, planes and tools....something finally went wrong and Prepar3d V4 won't run.

Tried deleting Prepar3d.cfg and rebuilding..no joy.

LM advice was to erase all add ons and reinstall (days of configuring down the drain).

So I thought I would take this opportunity to wipe everything clean and uninstall.  Buy a brand new NVMe SSD drive for just Prepar3d and DCS (storage space was starting to get tight as is).

Whats the best way to uninstall everything so no remnants of the program get left behind on my "C" drive?  Dont  some folders get left even after uninstall?

Second, when I reinstall...whats the best way to add everything back in so if I run into more problems I can more easily trouble shoot than having added everything directly into the sim?  I've seen reference of adding via .xml and scenery managers.  Any advice or wisdom for your guys experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Jason

Oh one last thing, I have a second networked computer...how much would there be to gain from moving active sky, Plan g, chaseplane etc off to that second computer and connecting viw FSWIDE (I've never used that before).  

Thanks Jason

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:15 PM, jasonstory44 said:

So of course after weeks of adding scenery, planes and tools....something finally went wrong and Prepar3d V4 won't run.

Tried deleting Prepar3d.cfg and rebuilding..no joy.

LM advice was to erase all add ons and reinstall (days of configuring down the drain).

So I thought I would take this opportunity to wipe everything clean and uninstall.  Buy a brand new NVMe SSD drive for just Prepar3d and DCS (storage space was starting to get tight as is).

Whats the best way to uninstall everything so no remnants of the program get left behind on my "C" drive?  Dont  some folders get left even after uninstall?

Second, when I reinstall...whats the best way to add everything back in so if I run into more problems I can more easily trouble shoot than having added everything directly into the sim?  I've seen reference of adding via .xml and scenery managers.  Any advice or wisdom for your guys experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Jason

Oh one last thing, I have a second networked computer...how much would there be to gain from moving active sky, Plan g, chaseplane etc off to that second computer and connecting viw FSWIDE (I've never used that before).  

Thanks Jason

Jason

Have you searched the forum for Poppet's posts on this issue?  I believe she's described a way to reinstall just the client portion of P3d that would fix what you're describing.  Worked for me in a similar situation.

Jay

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.