Sign in to follow this  
mherzog

Changing panel state with FMC causes 777 to start bouncing

Just purchased 772 and 773 last night, and I was looking to change the current state of the plane when I started from default to cold and dark.  I went into FMC and chose the option for coldndrk panel state, and as soon as I did that the plane begins bouncing up and down... forever.  I moved plane to a new airport, etc. and nothign would stop it.  Selecting a new plane will reset this and revert the system back to default state.

The only issues I have observed on forums with others describing similar bouncing issues were related to mesh size (or at least the recommended solutions were about adjusting mesh size at least)..  I can't initially think how changing the panel state could be linked to mesh size, nonetheless, to try everything I moved mesh size to a number of different setting and it did not help.

I can manually transition the aircraft into cold and dark (turning off engines, power, etc.).  This bouncing issue has only occured when I select the new panel state through the FMC.

I am away from sim now, and the one thing I did not try yet, was to make coldndrk the default panel state then start scenario to see if that will resolve the issue... that would be an acceptable workaround for sure, but it would still be nice to understand the underlying issue.

I have experience with the PMDG 737 and panel states, and I don't recall any issue with the NGX., I will admit I haven't read the specific section within the 777 manual yet (but will this evening).  Regardless, I thought it might be worth checking in to see if I am just missing something simple -- i.e. like the plane is not setup to swap out panel states during an active session (even just sitting at the gate). 

FWIW - This is on P3D v4.  Most of my testing was at FlyTampa's LGAV airport.  However, I did move the aircraft to several airports throughout the world and both at a gate and positioned on the rumway and it did not differ.  Also, I have the 738/9, 747 and 772/3 software installed for both P3D v3 and v4, but all testing so far has been on v4.

Thanks for any help.

Mark Herzog

Interesting.  Do you have anything like chaseplane installed?  This is the first report of anything of this nature and the 777 has been out for P3Dv4 for days or weeks, I don't remember which.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the reply.

I have Chaseplane installed on the sim, but it's not setup to start up with the sim... and I have not tried to turn it on yet on the 777.

Mark Herzog

an update...whatever this is, I believe it is unique to my system and not specifically attributable to 777.  I am now back home and have a little bit more time to investigate.  It appears to be more pervasive than I thought, and possibly effects more aircraft.. it's just the 777 reacts violently with the bouncing whereas others just sit there.  The 777 also is the only one that starts even lower in the ground. When I start up in default mode, for whatever reason (and wherever I am) it puts the plane about 10 feet lower than the ground (my HSI shows -10 and the wheels are under the ground).  When I change the panel state, that value jumps up to -2 on the HSI and bounces between -2 and -4 constantly.  All other planes just seem to be about 1/2 tire into the ground.

I do have FTX Global, but they don't have Vector available for v4 yet, so I can't fiddle with that.  I can confirm this issue occurs at places like a small random airport in Argentina all the way to a fully detailed Flightbeam KMSP.

So I am not sure this is a specific 777 request anymore and you are welcome to close the topic if you'd like and if I can pin it specifically to 777 I can reopen. 

Although I'd be interested to know if there are any recommended approaches to adjust the global elevation somehow.  As far as I know I don't have any global mesh products right now, since FTX Global Vector is still not available for V4.. so shouldn't be any issues there.... but who knows.

Thanks,
Mark Herzog

4 minutes ago, mherzog said:

an update...whatever this is, I believe it is unique to my system and not specifically attributable to 777.  I am now back home and have a little bit more time to investigate.  It appears to be more pervasive than I thought, and possibly effects more aircraft.. it's just the 777 reacts violently with the bouncing whereas others just sit there.  The 777 also is the only one that starts even lower in the ground. When I start up in default mode, for whatever reason (and wherever I am) it puts the plane about 10 feet lower than the ground (my HSI shows -10 and the wheels are under the ground).  When I change the panel state, that value jumps up to -2 on the HSI and bounces between -2 and -4 constantly.  All other planes just seem to be about 1/2 tire into the ground.

I do have FTX Global, but they don't have Vector available for v4 yet, so I can't fiddle with that.  I can confirm this issue occurs at places like a small random airport in Argentina all the way to a fully detailed Flightbeam KMSP.

So I am not sure this is a specific 777 request anymore and you are welcome to close the topic if you'd like and if I can pin it specifically to 777 I can reopen. 

Although I'd be interested to know if there are any recommended approaches to adjust the global elevation somehow.  As far as I know I don't have any global mesh products right now, since FTX Global Vector is still not available for V4.. so shouldn't be any issues there.... but who knows.

Thanks,
Mark Herzog

Can you disable all 3rd party scenery just to ensure it's not that?

Just as a followup so I don't leave the thread without conclusion.  I never did disable any scenery (or really anything).  I just kept swapping through all my airlines to see which were showing the problem and which ones were really bad (like the 777)... after I bit I noticed no more were having the problem.... so I went back to the 777 and it was also fine.  Literally no adjustments whatsoever.  I am not entirely sure this is solved, or if perhaps it's just working right now and after I reboot it will rear its head again.

However, my current v4 setup is temporary as I am building a new system, and will do a clean install when that is completed.  As such, I am not sure this is solved, but I feel I shouldn't take up more bandwidth on what might be a red herring.  Instead after my clean install if I still experience any issues, I'll reopen the topic.  

Thanks for the suggestions and help.... and if it makes any sense to you that just flipping through aircraft one after another (via Vehicle...Select...) would potentially resolve this issue, I'd love to hear the reasoning.  For now, I am chalking it up to gremlins (and a quirky old computer).

Mark Herzog