Sign in to follow this  
Emile

FS9 crashes from fe.dll - any help?

Guest beargap

I am going crazy with the regular, but random CTD crashes of FS9. I am running a pretty new Dell XPS 400 with gobs of memory and disk space, and all other programs work flawlessly. FS9 crashes usually report the problem is with fe.dll, and a few times with g2d.dll, but that is no help to me. The crashes seem to occur most frequently when changing views or panning with the top hat, but are never repeatable. Following other threads I have removed any aircraft that had any anomolies in their textures in case they were related to the AI issues mentioned. I have selectively deleted scenery areas, but no joy there either. I am running USRoads and USWaters, are they involved at all (hope not, like those enhancements). The crashes happen regardless of time of day, season, and not with any particular scenery, although since I fly more in a local area populated with RWY12 objects, that could be related as well. I see this issue on may forums, but never a solution. Microsoft quickly turned away when they found I had "any" 3rd party stuff loaded and has been no help. Is there a solution? =Vic=

Very annoying isn't it, especially when it can't be reproduced with any consistency. Not saying this is the cause of your crash but a friend of mine recently narrowed an fe.dll crash down to something as simple as an engine exhaust effects (.fx) file.I would roll back everything you did to your sim until you find what causes it, other than that it's anyone's guess.

Fermin Fernandez
FSWidgets & TweakFS Developer
Melbourne, Australia (UTC+10)
FSWidgets  logo.png

I had the same problem. Apparently I had some bad or conflicting AI textures (Ultimate Traffic) I had apparently caused this problem myself.Ended up uninstalling and reinstalling UT and no problems since.I went back to a restore point I knew was good as I had labeled it as such but that didn't work either.What I have started doing since I got the CTD (or will do) is to logany new software I install on the machine...especially software involving FS so I can narrow down or even pinpoint when the problemstarted.Craig

Guest beargap

Thanks for the responses. I continue to try and isolate what is causing these fe.dll CTD failures...they do drive me mad.What is the fe.dll program doing, anyway? Is that related to texture interpretation, effects, or what? Thaty might help in diagnosing. It does seem to be related to any sudden view change more often than not, like switching from cockpit to tower view, or panning quickly, or looking out a side window. I had it happen in a totally Microsoft scenery area, too, but I was using somebody else's plane =Vic=

Guest lalo lolo1

I had this problem just a couple of days ago, and doing a little research I found the problem is produced by some large texture loading. In my case I was able to isolate the problem as I was having horrific FRs in the Bogota area, and I had the CTD in that place too. The problem dissapeared as soon as I deleted a Bogota landclass for FS2002.Just think of every addon you have included in your FS since you started having the problem. I don't think a single AC repaint could produce this problem. Other than the terrain and AI textures it could be new sky textures, clouds, the sun, any scenery, etc, or even Landclass that will group different textures in one place.Good luck!Leo

Hello,Try : http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.htmlit will trace all the files accesses , if you use the "filter" you can limit the trace the FS9 files. So you can "see" the latest files accessed before the CTD. This will help to find.It did for me.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Guest Waltm

>Hello,>Try : http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html>it will trace all the files accesses , if you use the "filter">you can limit the trace the FS9 files. >So you can "see" the latest files accessed before the CTD.>This will help to find.>It did for me.Thanks for the link. I just experienced my first (and I pray last) fe.dll crash today. Lucky for me it happened at the very end of a flight. I've got gigs of addon scenery and AI.-- WaltFlying FS9.1 full screen at 1600x1200x32Intel Pentium 4 640 HT 3.20 GHzWindows XP Pro SP21GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X850 XT PECatalyst 5.9 drivers for Windows XPDirectX 9.0cViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT MonitorSound Blaster Audigy2 ZSCreative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 SpeakersSaitek Gamers Keyboard USBLogitech MX 518 Optical Mouse USBMS ForceFeedback 2 joystick USBBelkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port HubWideFS 6.5.1.0ActiveSky 6 SU2FSUIPC 3.53 RegisteredFS Force 1.02FSNavigator 4.6Active Camera 2004 v2.0LAGO FSEAISmooth V 1.11aJABScreen v2.2Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G 802.11gNETWORKED SYSTEM (Running WideFS Client & ASV):Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHzWindows XP Pro SP2512 MB RAM

Guest UPS009

I was getting DLL errors like you were and I couldn't figure out what was causing my problem. All other 3D games worked great except for FS2004. Then I read a video card forum about how under powered power supplies can causes these problems. I had a 450watt PS, but as I read further into the post, I discovered it doesn't matter how may volts your pushing, it's all about the amps. My 450 was oly pushing 18 amps on the 12v-rail. I ordered me a new 485w PS that pushes 32a on the 12-rail and I'm happy to report I have not had a FS2004 crash in over 3 weeks. I've also been doing long hauls on VATSIM that range from 7 to 10 hours without a sigle crash. I know you ordered a Dell XPS so I'm sure they supplied it with the correct type of PS for that system. Modern day video cards, CPU's, USB devices and fans require more amps these days. I run a client like you do with all my addons. I did not change anything in my FS2004 setup or addons.

Guest Waltm

>Hi Walt,>>Any chance that you installed IE7 Beta?>>Hope this helps,>Jim>http://www.hifisim.com>http://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6...development.jpg>http://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-proud.jpg>

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannersupporter.jpgNot to my knowledge, unless a Microsoft update installed it automatically for me. Using a beta IE would be just asking for trouble.

Guest Waltm

>I was getting DLL errors like you were and I couldn't figure>out what was causing my problem. All other 3D games worked>great except for FS2004. Then I read a video card forum about>how under powered power supplies can causes these problems. I>had a 450watt PS, but as I read further into the post, I>discovered it doesn't matter how may volts your pushing, it's>all about the amps. My 450 was oly pushing 18 amps on the>12v-rail. I ordered me a new 485w PS that pushes 32a on the>12-rail and I'm happy to report I have not had a FS2004 crash>in over 3 weeks. I've also been doing long hauls on VATSIM>that range from 7 to 10 hours without a sigle crash. >>I know you ordered a Dell XPS so I'm sure they supplied it>with the correct type of PS for that system. Modern day video>cards, CPU's, USB devices and fans require more amps these>days. >>I run a client like you do with all my addons. I did not>change anything in my FS2004 setup or addons.You're right about my system being a Dell XPS. It's less than a year old and Dell assembled it per my specs, so I would hope it had enough PS horsepower (great system, but obnoxiously loud fans). Our house does have crappy wiring however, so I installed a power conditioner a few years ago--mainly to stabilize my monitor--and it always appears to be in the green.On a related issue, up until recently I was getting another strange and intermittent error: When starting FS2004, at the very end of loading and upon displaying the default aircraft cockpit, I would get an FS2004 error indicating that it could not find some scenery located--of all places--in my WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/ folder. FS2004 would consistently look in a McAfee-related folder in WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/ for some undefined scenery. Clicking OK on each of the error prompts (there was usally more than one) took me to FS2004, and it would behave normally thereon.In order to remedy the problem I performed comprehensive sytem tests and HD sector analysis, but no issues turned up.The only I've done since my first post on this thread is to uninstall the Anti-Spam and Privacy Service components of my McAfee suite. Maybe this will help lighten the load on my system.-- WaltFlying FS9.1 full screen at 1600x1200x32Intel Pentium 4 640 HT 3.20 GHzWindows XP Pro SP21GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz (2x512M)256MB PCI Express x16 ATI Radeon X850 XT PECatalyst 5.9 drivers for Windows XPDirectX 9.0cViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT MonitorSound Blaster Audigy2 ZSCreative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 SpeakersSaitek Gamers Keyboard USBLogitech MX 518 Optical Mouse USBMS ForceFeedback 2 joystick USBBelkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port HubWideFS 6.5.1.0ActiveSky 6 SU2FSUIPC 3.53 RegisteredFS Force 1.02FSNavigator 4.6Active Camera 2004 v2.0LAGO FSEAISmooth V 1.11aJABScreen v2.2Linksys Wireless Router WRT54G 802.11gNETWORKED SYSTEM (Running WideFS Client & ASV):Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHzWindows XP Pro SP2512 MB RAM