Sign in to follow this  
kiwi_biplane

Screenshot Forum Policy

I do not like the forum policy, which deals with limiting the number of screenshots in one topic. I have a personal project. I create free sky textures, cloud textures and the effect of glow of the sun for FSX and P3D simulators. Many users like my work. Sometimes it is necessary to post a beta version in order to be appreciated by users and made their comments. This can not be done without visualization. Unfortunately, the rules limit the creation of a theme with 20 screenshots in the first message. More images can not be added. Twice my topics were closed by the moderator. This is correct, it is in accordance with the rules. I have no claims to the moderators, who perfectly fulfill their duties, but my logic was broken. Can not you make an amendment to the rules for developers? Now I have to create a new topic each time, instead of continuing just one. People can not track my work if they do not enter my profile.

Or my works are not useful to the sim - community?

By regards, Gennadiy.

Gennadiy

2 hours ago, kiwi_biplane said:

I do not like the forum policy, which deals with limiting the number of screenshots in one topic. I have a personal project. I create free sky textures, cloud textures and the effect of glow of the sun for FSX and P3D simulators.

2 hours ago, kiwi_biplane said:

Unfortunately, the rules limit the creation of a theme with 20 screenshots in the first message. More images can not be added.

This policy was set up by the late owner, Tom Allensworth.  As the Forum Administrator, I have continued this policy.  As Tom thought and discussed with me, think about the members logging in on SmartPhones, I-Pads, etc., and those who do not have fast Internet connections in many foreign countries.  When a member opens a screenshot topic, he/she does not want to have to wait for a long period of time before the images to appear.  Some are in 4K resolution and very detailed!!  Someday soon, 8K.  Tom did allow some exceptions and allowed continual posts to a topic about 777's or 747's only.  These topics got to be very, very long with 20 images a post and that was a lot of images for a member who did not have a fast connection to download so I removed that policy.  IMHO, a topic about the same images of one aircraft gets convoluted after 30 or more pages of images.  Members begin to lose interest.  The same aircraft post after post.  I thought the 20-image limit in one topic would allow a member to post his images and place comments as to what add-on's he/she had and where the images were made. That would be more individualized... his topic, his images only and not someone trying to make his images less appealing. There's a lot that goes into making an image and I think members would like the best method for getting their images displayed and shared with our membership with their personal and individualized message.

When I first started out as a volunteer moderator here at AVSIM, Tom had another policy:  images had to be a certain size.  If the size was not proper, they were removed (and I removed many).  Tom eased up on this requirement as new technology was developed but we still believed it affected our website performance.  Now we have images hosted on other sites and they are currently only limited in size by the policy of the owner of the site that hosts the images.  Many members have their own website so size is no issue.

If you were trying to post your freeware images in the screenshot forum to let everyone know about your freeware product, then the images were not in the right forum.  AVSIM has a Freeware Forum where users can post as many images as they like about their freeware product.  Our membership would be excited to see this discussed in the freeware or payware forum here on AVSIM.  The screenshot forum is not the proper avenue for displaying your freeware product unless you display the textures as part of your flight simulation experience (i.e., while flying the PMDG 747).  Just displaying your various sky textures would be a discussion of a product you are developing or have developed and those images belong in the Freeware Forum discussions.

I think most of our members believe that 20 images per topic is sufficient to show off and share one of their flight experiences with a product but I am willing to discuss a modest increase.  Not sure if you are aware but we have many members who have their own website with hundreds of their images of past flight simulation experiences.  I believe many of these members would post all of them in one topic if we changed it to unlimited and that might overwhelm our fragile system.  

We have a lot of very creative members who enjoy this hobby and want to share their experiences here with our members through images.  I appreciate that and I'm positive the Board Member's and CEO of AVSIM does too. 

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you, Jim for the detailed explanation of all the nuances!
In fact, the first phrase in your message is enough to explain.

Best Regards, 

Gennadiy

Gennadiy

Thank you!

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10