Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

How to suspend my license?

1 minute ago, vc10man said:

That prospect alone would suffice to give me a heart attack!!

But the i7-7700K sounds a tempter.

Did my 7700k yesterday. Really simple with the Rockit88. Running at 4.8 with hardly any voltage adjustment. Going to give it a few days and bump it up to 5.0ghz. 

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, Wise87 said:

Did my 7700k yesterday

You are indeed braver than I , sir! I have also read in this Forum of some rather expensive failures too.

2 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Hi Rick,

Yes, an Intel CPU overclocked to 4.8GHz (according to supplier).

I have now modified my planned config to:

• i7-7700k
  • 16GB DDR4
  • Z270 Gaming 8 mobo
  • GTX 1080ti
  • SM961 M.2 512GB SSD
  • SM961 M.2 1TB SSD
  • 650W PSU
  • Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I am still undecided whether I should get the second SSD or just a single 1TB SSD. Also haven't yet identified a suitable 28-32" 4K monitor.

HTH

Besides my preference for ASUS mobos, that looks to be a killer setup!

51 minutes ago, vc10man said:

You are indeed braver than I , sir! I have also read in this Forum of some rather expensive failures too.

As long as you use the builtin/supplied OC software, you should be fine!

Just now, Raven9000 said:

As long as you use the builtin/supplied OC software, you should be fine!

That's why like you, I prefer Asus mobos.

Richard, out of interest, what brand/model is your Z270 MoBo?

3 hours ago, PMDG777 said:

What's the point of the two SSDs?

I have 5:

1. OS
  2. FSX
  3. P3D
  4. XPL
  5. Backups and file storage

Makes it really easy to nuke a sim if I need to start it fresh from all of the testing and so on I do.

Kyle Rodgers

3 hours ago, Wise87 said:

Did my 7700k yesterday. Really simple with the Rockit88. Running at 4.8 with hardly any voltage adjustment. Going to give it a few days and bump it up to 5.0ghz. 

I run 4.7 GHz without a de-lid and a good air cooler. System is super stable, fairly quiet and performance is good. If one was to try 5 GHz, de-lidding is a must for sure. The temps are the only grief I have with the CPU. :)

2 hours ago, vc10man said:

Richard, out of interest, what brand/model is your Z270 MoBo?

Gaming 8 sounds like a Gigabyte model. http://www.gigabyte.de/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-8-rev-10#kf

Looks like a killer, although I prefer ASUS as well, probably more out of habit than actual merit. They never let me down yet.

4 minutes ago, MorsAbAlto said:

although I prefer ASUS as well, probably more out of habit than actual merit.

The team at my day job does as well. I switched to all MSI after my gaming laptop (ASUS ROG from a while back) had a few odd issues, all after the warranty expired, of course. That, and the fact that I can see something here in the forum and say "ASUS mobo?" and be correct more than not, is rather troublesome. All the same, for general gaming, they've been consistently solid.

Kyle Rodgers

59 minutes ago, MorsAbAlto said:

I run 4.7 GHz without a de-lid and a good air cooler.

That's good to know as I want to be able to use my current air cooler, a Noctua beast(sorry, cannot recall the model no.)

1 hour ago, MorsAbAlto said:

Gigabyte

I will never ever buy anything from them after the abysmal after-sales service with their graphics card sent back to their service center in Ca.

Its not to suspend your key its to deactivate...

But i have a few SSDs too

1) 1.2 TB PCIe SSD (OS)

2) 1TB SSD for P3Dv3

3) 1TB SSD for P3Dv4

4) 1TB SSD for XP11

5) 1TB SSD for FSX SE

6) 1TB SSD MISC.

1 hour ago, vc10man said:

That's good to know as I want to be able to use my current air cooler, a Noctua beast(sorry, cannot recall the model no.)

I was pondering the NH-D15 back when I made the upgrade, but went for be quiet! for overall cosmetic value (Noctua's ocre/ivory colours are hideous IMHO and my entire case is black-themed) and the lower price point at virtually the same performance (within a few odd percent). I also like to support the local economy. :) 

You will probably be fine with what you have, as Noctua supplies the necessary mounting brackets if you don't have them yet.

2 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

The team at my day job does as well. I switched to all MSI after my gaming laptop (ASUS ROG from a while back) had a few odd issues, all after the warranty expired, of course. That, and the fact that I can see something here in the forum and say "ASUS mobo?" and be correct more than not, is rather troublesome. All the same, for general gaming, they've been consistently solid.

I also had some BIOS troubles with my ASUS stuff over the years, but the hardware as such never failed (no popped capacitors and such). I guess there is a million different stories and opinions on this. My preference for ASUS goes back to the days of the Pentium III/AMD K7, when CPUs used a slotted design instead of sockets. Ah, the memories...

32 minutes ago, MorsAbAlto said:

be quiet!

Good choice as well. I used to have a rig with their air coolers. Now use their PSU instead.

Touch wood, have never had an Asus board go down on me dating back to the AMD XP series.

7 hours ago, vc10man said:

That prospect alone would suffice to give me a heart attack!!

But the i7-7700K sounds a tempter.

If you're not up for your own delidding, you can always pay a premium to Silicon Lottery and have them do it for you.  That's what I did on my last build.  I've done my own delids in the past, and as others have said, it's really not difficult.  But the other advantage of going with Silicon Lottery is that they pre-test the chips, and I wanted a guaranteed performer.  The delid is essentially a throw-in.  The cost is higher than it would be for a retail chip but not by much (about $100 US give or take) unless you want a high overclock (the 5.2 ones are expensive).  I bought a 5.1-rated 7700k to have some overhead, and run it at 5.0 - with hyperthreading on, it gives me temperatures just barely touching 70 C at 1.325 volts.  Without hyperthreading I can bring the voltage down to 60 C and the voltage down to 1.3.  It's stellar.  Well worth the investment.

EDIT: And speaking of Noctua, I'm using an NH-D15S (the high compatibility version with an offset and a single fan, so you can use tall RAM).  So you'll be fine with air cooling, with or without a delid.