Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Had to happen..

It's really time that people take responsibility for themselves. 

Crazy that whenever someone is irresponsible/being a dumb_ss, people are quick to blame others for their stupidity....

• Upvote 3

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

13 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

That's is not a proper location for either the airport or the beach. I assume that the Dutch government wants to have it's cake (the airport) and eat it too (the beach). It's a question of safety. It's bad enough that Beacon Hill  Road is there also.

Completely disagree.    Although I have sympathy for the death of the person, people who go to St Maarten and particularly the beach are MORE than aware of the risks, make their own risk assessment and decide to take the risk.  The ultimate risk is, of course - death.  This has always been the case at St Maarten, so the nonsense of now calling the location of the airport and the beach 'improper' is ludicrous.    Statistically, considering the risks involved, I'd say it's extremely safe.  

St Maarten is a very anomalous airport and has always been that way.  As usual, the govt. are blamed everytime an idiot (while knowing the risks) happens to take the risk and be killed. With all due respect, the govt wanting to have its cake and eat it too - what on earth does that mean in this context?  Do we maybe need to relocate Skiathos too?

4 hours ago, Wobbie said:

It's really time that people take responsibility for themselves. 

Crazy that whenever someone is irresponsible/being a dumb_ss, people are quick to blame others for their stupidity....

Well said. Nowadays, the mother of ever-bigger-government supporters is always pregnant.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

As Javiz  pointed out above, the blame is on the Dutch-side government, not the federal government  of the Netherlands. My apologies.

No, the blame is on the person that was stupid enough to ignore the warnings. There comes a point in time where we as adults need to take responsibility for our own actions. And standing directly behind a commercial jet applying full thrust is one of those actions. Not only was there warning signs, but common sense also tells us not to do something as dumb as that.

Harsh on the victim? Maybe. But it's truthful. RIP to her, but it's her own fault. I feel sorry for her family and friends.

• Upvote 3

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

8 hours ago, Javiz said:

Like Alan's suggestion it probabely has all to do with local Big Kahonas who see this ridiculous situation as a free tourist attraction. 

Im sure you are right, that beach is my reason for wanting to visit st maarten vs some of the other islands.  And personally I dont see anything wrong with that, its fun, its a one of a kind attraction.  If you use common sense theres nothing wrong with it.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

The first time an aircraft lands short and drags a main landing gear truck through a crowd of tourists on the beach in what should be an off-limits clearway, the mea culpa and blame will flow like lava to the sea.  Allowing people that close to the threshold where landing aircraft pass directly overhead only 50 ft up on a good approach is patently unsafe, jet blast issues aside.  Clearly, safety is not a priority for the officials running the place...not that opportunities for liquored-up tourists to eliminate themselves from the gene pool are all that limited anywhere.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

As human beings, if we were to be totally protected from anything risky then we wouldn't bother getting out of bed lest we stub our little toe. The world shouldn't have an infinite supply of metaphorical cotton wool and bubble wrap.

St. Maarten's on my bucket list to get a Darwin award for standing under an approaching airliner :) (just my luck to be under the one dragging it's main bogie through the fence!), but not for expecting to be able to hang on to a fence whilst being blasted by a hot wind powerful enough to flip over large vehicles.

Each to their own. Most of us like to take risks, or rather risks that we perceive as enjoyable. Running into a burning building to save a person or animal is a risk, but in no way enjoyable, for example. However, in the same way that we are all different individuals, so are the types of risks many and varied, that we humans want to take.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

@Jan - thanks for pointing out the distinction between local and Federal Netherlands government.  Explains why, when I decide to bail, the top of my list is Curaçao - would rather be under your federal umbrella.

Question for the advocates of risk-taking - is it unfair that other airports build the perimeter so far from the runways?  Why not argue that they all ought to move the fences right up against the blast shield?  Better still, get rid of the fences altogether!  Just put up warning signs and let people wander around the airport grounds.  A handy way to reduce the surplus population!

Um, firefighting, not quite equivalent to self-destructive tourist stupidity.  Social good, and like that.

• Upvote 1

I am against the entire concept of when someone dies we have to regulate and bubble wrap everything. She was a Kiwi, and lived a Kiwi's life, they jump off cliffs into oceans, bungie jump over big canyons, jump out of airplanes, jump over waterfalls, pretty much anything insane they do it, and yes they die doing it all the time. 

She wanted to experience jet blast and died doing it? Sounds to me like another thrill seeking kiwi died doing something outrages, happens all the time. We don't change policy in New Zealand when someone dies doing something outrages, the next person is free to experience the thrill right after if they want to.

• Upvote 3

Matthew Kane

I think the huge warning signs on both sides cover any liability claims (i.e., being blown off the fence and into a cement wall; rocks, sand, and other objects being blown into ones body or knocking out one or both eyes, etc.).  I believe, if the airport and/or authorities did not put up the sign, they would be liable, much like a school zone or speed limit warnings.  They cannot have law enforcement authorities there all of the time to enforce any rules on signs.  So, think the best solution would be to raise the blast shield or place a blast shield near the runway.  It could be raised by the control tower during takeoffs and lowered for landings much like some barriers built to thwart terrorist attacks on buildings or entries into sensitive areas (i.e., a steel barrier would pop up).  My two-cents.  Still, unbelievable more people have not died.  I'm sure there must have been many serious injuries over the years.

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Its unfortunate that it had to happen this way but I think more people will think twice about hanging on that fence during a takeoff after this incident.......for a little while anyway.

Ted

• Upvote 1

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

How many people drown on the island every year? Are we going to stop people from swimming just because someone might drown?

Let them hold onto that fence if they want to, the fact that someone died makes it even more of a thrill for the thrill seeker :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Matthew Kane

7 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I am against the entire concept of when someone dies we have to regulate and bubble wrap everything. She was a Kiwi, and lived a Kiwi's life, they jump off cliffs into oceans, bungie jump over big canyons, jump out of airplanes, jump over waterfalls, pretty much anything insane they do it, and yes they die doing it all the time. 

She wanted to experience jet blast and died doing it? Sounds to me like another thrill seeking kiwi died doing something outrages, happens all the time. We don't change policy in New Zealand when someone dies doing something outrages, the next person is free to experience the thrill right after if they want to.

Completely agree with Matthew here.There's only so much you can/should do to protect people from themselves. People make bad decisions every day - bad investment decisions, bad life decisions, bad extreme activity decisions.  Some of those bad investment/life decisions have ruined people for life.  ###### happens.  It's the law of the randomness of life.  How is that less tragic than this incident?  One death at St Maarten and suddenly the entire world's newspapers are filled with over sensationalized claptrap about how unsafe it all is.  What absolute bollocks.  Life is unsafe by nature.

But I'm a fellow antipodean. Maybe we see things the same way.

• Upvote 4