Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

IRIS Simulations still alive?

Hello,

has anybody heard something from IRIS Simulations?

They completely off any communication since April or May without any explanation.

The realease of P3D v4 was completely uncommented by IRIS so I do wonder what I could do with my IRIS aircraft to make them work there...?

Does anybody know something?

many thanks

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think so - Last I checked (last year) they were reorganizing (in biz terms means - potentially closing shop).

I also did not receive the entire collection as my prize at the Flight Angels competition.  

All these companies should release their product for free with source code if they want to close shop - the community will pick up the work

• Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

10 minutes ago, Skywolf said:

I do not think so - Last I checked (last year) they were reorganizing (in biz terms means - potentially closing shop).

I also did not receive the entire collection as my prize at the Flight Angels competition.  

All these companies should release their product for free with source code if they want to close shop - the community will pick up the work

I'd agree with that. Or at least keep it so you can still buy them, perhaps at a reduced price with the caveat that there is no support available. (Hello, RealAir...)

Russ

• Upvote 1

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

Don't know but I installed the IRIS A-10 in v4 and it works just fine.  Didn't try out all the features but seems all good. 

There is a good list of military aircraft working v4 over at Simouthouse or whatever its called. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I see they are selling all their products at reduced prices. I would like fly the PC9 in V4.

Johan Pienaar

As I recall this was another example of a small development  team running into unexpected  health and/or personal  issues. They are still in business, but updates to existing products (like their excellent  A-10 Warthog for example) have been very limited.

I have there PC 24 its not that great of an aircraft but it's enough to keep me busy. I cant manually enter in a flight plan but I use Pro Atc x which does it for me so I guess its ok for now. Just waiting for Aerosoft patiently now.

I can't support any sim companies which does not have long term plan/vision.  I can not use my hard earned dollars for lack of updates and what not.  To each their own.

It all boils down to Leadership issues.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

2 hours ago, Skywolf said:

I can't support any sim companies which does not have long term plan/vision.  I can not use my hard earned dollars for lack of updates and what not.  To each their own.

It all boils down to Leadership issues.

I am not sure I understand your attitude in regards to Iris. It sounds like a general blanket macho statement, made in total ignorance of the situation and facts. I am not finding fault here, just stating an opinion. I have done the same thing myself.

In fairness toward Iris, the company is/was basically a one man and one woman show. David Brice and his wife Karen. He did most of the creative work and she did the books. David started out doing freeware as DSB Design. He created several well received aircraft which many people enjoyed flying back in the FS9 and early FSX days.

David later went into payware. He focused mostly on military aircraft and created several aircraft that no one else attempted, the PC9, T-6II A,B &* C models, and PC21 among them. While they may not have the attention to detail and advanced features some might want, in my estimation, they are just a well done as any Carenado product, at less cost.

His T-6II was good enough to be used by members of the USAF and Navy in early training tests of using simulation in pilot training. I know this because I was involved with the volunteer/non-profit organization that was working with the military. 

I am a bit hazy here with details. However, if I recall correctly, his wife Karen had some serious medical issues. I don't know if that is the reason for Iris' going non-communicative? If so, I don't blame the man.

I have done beta testing with several companies, including Iris. I know first hand that most of these companies are one or two permanent people, like RealAir, and the rest are volunteers or contract programmers. Because it can take six months to a year or more to release an aircraft, and programmers are usually paid off the units sold, it is hard for these companies to keep contract programmers around long. Also, some of the programmers own the intellectual property rights of their work. If one leaves, he takes his source code with him.  This is a reason why some older aircraft will not be updated to PD3 V4.

The realization we sim consumers need to keep in mind is that it is the little company that often builds the off the wall unique airplane we love. Big companies like Carenado will only build things that they know will sell well. That is part of your long term plan/vision, that you mentioned. A small one or two person outfit like Iris, RealAir, or Lionheart will take on a project just for the love of the aircraft. 

I think we need the little guys. As such, we need to give them a break or learn to model and produce these add-ons ourselves. 

P.S. Iris aircraft mostly work in V4. I moved the PC-21 over and all of its functions seem to work. David did his gauges using xml code. So, the gauges work in 64 bit, and can be modified by talented individuals. As with any aircraft using TacPac, Iris TacPac aircraft will not work with the 32 bit TacPac add-on in PD3 V4.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I have the battlefield airlifter and pc24 installed in v4 and everything is great.  If you buy through their site rather than a reseller, all of their stuff is available now at half price.  agreed about supporting the small developers.  it has nothing to do with lack of vision, just things get unfortunate sometimes.  If IRIS never do another aircraft, I will still love the ones I have,  If some won't take a chance, they are the ones missing out on some great stuff, not me.

Hi, David Love-Brice from IRIS here!  I know it's an old topic, but I figured I'd jump in. ;)

Firstly, thanks for all your support and feedback, JMig as always has a lot of good info, he's known Karen and myself for years, so the comments made by him are pretty spot on.   That being said, IRIS is still alive...in a sense!    John is right, IRIS is a family owned business with a few talented contractors, and sometimes it's hard to balance work/life etc.  So two years ago when I was offered my dream job at Lockheed Martin, I would have been a fool to not accept. 

The job meant moving house, relocating three hours away from the family and my teenage son (who's in high school and couldn't be easily moved).  It also involved far more work than any of us involved could have anticipated.  So much so, that no matter how much I wanted to continue working actively on IRIS, I just couldn't focus any time on IRIS. As they say the road to hell is paved with good intentions!

So we trimmed back how things were managed and IRIS went quietly quiet. :)  We're no longer developing actively, though after 13 years, neither Karen or I are wanting to close it completely.  We still reply to support requests as and when we can, though if you're finding you need an urgent look at something, e-mail david@irissimulations.com.au should work.

I would love to say that I'd convert x planes to P3D v4 or developing new content, but I can't promise that.  IRIS is now more of a hobby than it's ever been, and the family for one is far less stressed getting a regular pay check from LM each month than working from plane to plane in FSX development.

Though as a final thought, without the community and our customers, my life would not have been offered the opportunity of working for Lockheed Martin and for that I can never offer enough gratitude.

David.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 4

Hey David, glad to hear that you're doing well. Your A-10 Warthog is still a terrific aircraft. I still have it "propped up" to sorta work in P3d 4.4 with TacPack.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Hey David, glad to hear that you're doing well. Your A-10 Warthog is still a terrific aircraft. I still have it "propped up" to sorta work in P3d 4.4 with TacPack.  

Agree completely, the Hog was and still is one of my all time favorites, and it works just fine for me in P3D v4.4

I don't use the TacPack though, so I can't comment on that.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:19 AM, guenseli said:

Edited by sbague1
Double post

Just installed the T6 into V4.3 and its working. 

Cheers Jan 
5800X3D | Asus Strix 3080TI OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws | 1T + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo | Windows 10 | MSFS