Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

For JComm LPMN as promised....in Portugal.

rYes, and that's why I may end up asking you foe those tiles one of these days Ses! Indeed the similarities are notorious.

We use many sources to find out the support we can expect to climb and stay up after release from the tug, but I use mostly the tephigrams / skey-T charts before I go flying. Anyway that flight was simply a local flight, but the climb was easily made up to 1400m, after a release at 500m ( all QFE ).

She doesn't like it that much... it's boring for those not involved in the activity, because it takes the whole day - we get support from the other pilots, and then we must support them too during their flights... and staying a whole day at the airfield for someone who doesn't really like airplanes is as good as when shee looks at me playing flightsimming.... :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

4 hours ago, jcomm said:

rYes, and that's why I may end up asking you foe those tiles one of these days Ses! Indeed the similarities are notorious.

We use many sources to find out the support we can expect to climb and stay up after release from the tug, but I use mostly the tephigrams / skey-T charts before I go flying. Anyway that flight was simply a local flight, but the climb was easily made up to 1400m, after a release at 500m ( all QFE ).

She doesn't like it that much... it's boring for those not involved in the activity, because it takes the whole day - we get support from the other pilots, and then we must support them too during their flights... and staying a whole day at the airfield for someone who doesn't really like airplanes is as good as when shee looks at me playing flightsimming.... :-)

You know J....I have never truly shown an interest, or even any knowledge about soaring...but this...this...looks really interesting...and to think, that you can get towed up there...and STAY up there for whatever...amazing , simply amazing.  What is the cost to the soar'er...does one join a club...pay dues...or merely point-of-soar...pay per hour?  Interested....and oh..I guess you also have to have elevation (hills/cliffs) for updraft support?  I know nothing at this time about it...but I think you are peaking my interest. I will Youtube the subject...

Cheers,

Mitch

Well, I never had a glider of my own, so I always used airclub gliders, or friends gliders, or even the Portuguese Air Force AS-K21s 

It's in the limit of what I can pay for, and a bit expensive these days - €3,5 / min tug, and then between €40 and €50 / hr glider renting...

Soaring is IMO where every pilot should start her / his training - it's inexpensive and so popular in the USA that I can only suggest that you try a flight at a nearby airclub - you will not regret Ses :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

Well, I never had a glider of my own, so I always used airclub gliders, or friends gliders, or even the Portuguese Air Force AS-K21s 

It's in the limit of what I can pay for, and a bit expensive these days - €3,5 / min tug, and then between €40 and €50 / hr glider renting...

Soaring is IMO where every pilot should start her / his training - it's inexpensive and so popular in the USA that I can only suggest that you try a flight at a nearby airclub - you will not regret Ses :-)

Seriously, I am going to look into this.  Now...someone would take me up  (two-seater?!?) for a what...1 hour flight, or so?  One very serious question though...can you ALWAYS get back, (with a trained and experienced glider pilot)...to your FBO? Can you always maintain enough altitude for that conclusion, no matter how many miles from your FBO, your flight might take you...or the P.I.C.!

Also, logistics...I am 6 feet, 4 inches tall, and weigh in at 280 pounds....think of a Swede, (Journey to the Center of the Earth)...that actor, (have been compared to him, many occasions).....and that is me...would I fit into a glider cockpit?!?

8 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Seriously, I am going to look into this.  Now...someone would take me up  (two-seater?!?) for a what...1 hour flight, or so?  One very serious question though...can you ALWAYS get back, (with a trained and experienced glider pilot)...to your FBO? Can you always maintain enough altitude for that conclusion, no matter how many miles from your FBO, your flight might take you...or the P.I.C.!

Also, logistics...I am 6 feet, 4 inches tall, and weigh in at 280 pounds....think of a Swede, (Journey to the Center of the Earth)...that actor, (have been compared to him, many occasions).....and that is me...would I fit into a glider cockpit?!?

Well, we're the same in height, but I'm just 74 kg :-) ( 163 pound )... I used to weight 216 though... but age made me start to loose weight to avoid other problems ..

Some friends of mine weight more than you - no problem on most two seat gliders, depending on the gut riding you, specially because you'll certainly have the front seat.

Returning is never a problem, unless you're too low because you lost the support to climb you were expecting... But gliders are made to easily land outside.

A glider is, for me, the safest airplane there is :)

Try it Ses - the only thing that can result is a total waste of all of your simming stuff, but I am sure wife will accept it better than she probably does with simming - even if she likes your Ortho4XP work!

Main Simulation Rig:

5 hours ago, jcomm said:

Well, we're the same in height, but I'm just 74 kg :-) ( 163 pound )... I used to weight 216 though... but age made me start to loose weight to avoid other problems ..

Some friends of mine weight more than you - no problem on most two seat gliders, depending on the gut riding you, specially because you'll certainly have the front seat.

Returning is never a problem, unless you're too low because you lost the support to climb you were expecting... But gliders are made to easily land outside.

A glider is, for me, the safest airplane there is :)

Try it Ses - the only thing that can result is a total waste of all of your simming stuff, but I am sure wife will accept it better than she probably does with simming - even if she likes your Ortho4XP work!

No gut..so good there, 42 inch waist,..but just a lot of me, in the total landscape, lol. So you think I will fit...ok.

I'll do my due diligence...read up, view up...etc...and see where this goes... :)  One of my reasons for taking to motorcycling as I did at 16, was the feeling of 'flying'...when leaning into the turns...and the air-flow enveloping you. Yep...the two are similar, except that the bike is locked to one plane...the ground, but banking to turn...yep...:)

Thanks for all the suggestions, Jcomm

Ses

• Upvote 1