Sign in to follow this  

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

2 minutes ago, KenG said:

245 or 254 AM?

245  Use 6 out of 8 cores on HT.

Sean Green

2 physical and 4 HT leaving 2 physical for other tasks... An interesting choice might have to try that myself. 

Don't run 4K and I'm running 2048x2048 textures at 2560x1440. However at the same location I  had all of dynamic lighting, landing lights and lens flare on, also FXAA on with all of the OP noted settings. Results:looking down the runway around 52 fps, looking to my left around 62 fps. Airborne doing a circle around the airport 45 fps average.

i7-7700k 4.2 GHz, DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120mm PWM Fan with Blue LED, ASRock 270 PRO4 MOBO, ZOTAC ampExtreme 1080 8GB, 32 GB DDR4 Ripjaws, Thermaltake Core V71 Case, RM850xCorsair psu, ADATA M.2 2280 240GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WIndows 10 Pro, 2 TB Samsung and 3 TB WD HDs .

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

FYI, when running these tests I was NOT using any AffinityMask setting for the 5960X test and for the 7900X test.  Normally I run my 5960X with:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=21829

I specifically did NOT want to use an AM in my testing because it will take some time for me to figure out a good AM setting for the 7900X.  So to keep the playing field un-skewed I operated both CPU tests with NO AM (which means default is all cores).  HT was enabled in both case.  My 5960X does produce better performance results with the AM above but again trying to make this Apples to Apples compare.

Both tests did use TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 which will have a tendency to stress the GPU side but my objective was to NOT max out the GPU at 100% loads which is what DL would do with 4XSSAA at 4K res, hence DL disabled.  I wanted to ensure that neither the CPU nor the GPU were hitting 100% load as that would mask results in favor of one or the other component.

I'll post the actual flight video later if anyone cares to duplicate the same flight.

I'd love to see other's results, but it's important that you use the same exact settings as I provided and remove any AM settings you might be using, otherwise it will not be an Apples to Apples compare.

Cheers, Rob.

I'm interested to see how it performs against a Ryzen 7 @ 4Ghz, if anyone can use the same settings with Titan X Pascal or GTX 1080 Ti

a very usefull share ..

i was considering 7740x only to take advantage of its higher clock by overcloking it to 5.1ghz. this was based on the hypothesis that P3D V4 is not that good at utilizing multiple cores that good . Apparently 7900x is giving good fps in Rob's experiment. .

so whats the "verdict" on a higher clock 7740X / 7700K (5.1ghz) vs a lower clock speed 7900X ??

I'd like to replicate this and report, but show us what u do during the flight.

Cheers,

Pierre

I have been running an i5 2500k (@4.5 Ghz ) for years now not really understanding how an upgrade would benefit me (i5 vs i7, more than 4 cores etc.). I also have a 1080 card.

I run only Orbx scenery (Globle Base + OpenLC NA + Vectors + HD Trees). 

I am willing to upgrade for at least a 50% fps increase so that I can then invest in a weather addon. My P3D settings are very similar to what Rob has posted and I can maintain a solid 24 - 26 fps over moderate cities...Miami, Philadelphia etc.

Can anyone suggest a CPU (not quite as high as the i9 7900x) that could pretty much get me a 50% increase over my current results? i really just want a solid 30 fps with a weather addon.

17 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

I have been running an i5 2500k (@4.5 Ghz ) for years now not really understanding how an upgrade would benefit me (i5 vs i7, more than 4 cores etc.). I also have a 1080 card.

I run only Orbx scenery (Globle Base + OpenLC NA + Vectors + HD Trees). 

I am willing to upgrade for at least a 50% fps increase so that I can then invest in a weather addon. My P3D settings are very similar to what Rob has posted and I can maintain a solid 24 - 26 fps over moderate cities...Miami, Philadelphia etc.

Can anyone suggest a CPU (not quite as high as the i9 7900x) that could pretty much get me a 50% increase over my current results? i really just want a solid 30 fps with a weather addon.

I went from a 2500k to a 7700k.  More then worth it.  Probably not going to get a 50% increase but I do get a solid 30fps with heavy addons.

• Upvote 1

Matt Wilson

So glad that I decided to wait for P3D v4 to be out for a while so these kind of results can begin filtering in and making the hardware upgrade decision clear.  I expect by the fall when I am ready to upgrade this will be very clearly settled.  Thanks for spending the money and testing Rob.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

49 minutes ago, ppo said:

I'd like to replicate this and report, but show us what u do during the flight.

Cheers,

Just download Rob's flight and settings and the whole flight will replay. You must have FRAPS installed to record the results...

I'll report in with my results later or tomorrow, as i think this will be interesting.

42 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

I went from a 2500k to a 7700k.  More then worth it.  Probably not going to get a 50% increase but I do get a solid 30fps with heavy addons.

Thanks for your reply!

Nice to know Rob. Now I see your OC attempts. Do you test P3D at 4.8 or 5GHz?

Okay I am rushing into the store to get the setup! Time to quadrupple my FPS that I get from my i7 6700K!

This cannot be ignored! If 85% increase is true, it surely should feel like heaven!!

And if I still get lag I will scream; SMITE ME!! ALMIGHTY SMITER (pulling off all my clothes and hairs, because bad performance always befalls the guy who looks at the greener grass over the fence):ohmy:

P.S.

In the end, in case of bad performance with such a CPU I think I would already be smitten!

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

The hardware he is using doesn't come cheap. Glad I can dream and live via his post. :biggrin:

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro