Sign in to follow this  

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

54 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

I thought there were some other folks on here with i9 7900X chips on X299 - I assume, from the silence, that nobody else has had any issues....?

I thought that also, but just to be clear the Intel Turbo Boost Max x.x Technology is not specific to just the i9 7900X.

Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0  CPU's:
i7 69xx/68xx
i7 7820X
i9 7900X
E5-1600 V5

Intel Turbo Boost Max 2.0 CPU's:
i7 77xx/67xx/39xx/27xx/26xx
i5 25xx/24xx/23xx

And there's also a Turbo Boost Max 1.0 (sorry don't have a CPU list).  

As for the Turbo Boost Max 3.0, there are actually some Intel warnings about it's usage and also "configuration" options such as setting Evaluation Interval and Utilization Threshold and setting core affinity.  You can read more about it here (expand the section "Advanced Settings" and also "Utilization Threshold %": 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000021587.html

Cheers, Rob.

7 hours ago, adyfoot said:

I thought there were some other folks on here with i9 7900X chips on X299 - I assume, from the silence, that nobody else has had any issues....?

I'm not on that chipset but am on the i7700k. Just in case it is any benefit to you, I had a performance drop a few months ago that nearly tore my hair out it was a real challenge to solve. By accident I stumbled across a guy on the Flyinside forums with the same hardware by Gigabyte having a similar drop in performance. There was nothing visible in any of the traces of CPU usage we could find. He discovered that the trick was to delete all of Gigabyte's bloatware software especially "Easytune" and do all the overclocking from bios only. I had already made sure that none of their software was running, but there was still some Gigabyte services running in the background I didn't remove. I uninstalled all of it and performance recovered. In the end we concluded it must have been some bug with their software control of speedstep or turboboost technology. Gigabyte are are an exceptionally good hardware engineering company but their software is the weakness (only my opinion).

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, adyfoot said:

I have indeed got power set to High Performance.  Seems I've done everything right so RMA it is.

What about your graphics card power setting?

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Rob, what settings are you using for Vector in your latest video?

5 minutes ago, gboz said:

What about your graphics card power setting?

gb.

good question, I noticed Rob was running 'ultra' water, I found its still stepping the PO state down in P3d v4, that's for w7 , maybe w10 is different.

bob

12 minutes ago, onebob said:

good question, I noticed Rob was running 'ultra' water, I found its still stepping the PO state down in P3d v4, that's for w7 , maybe w10 is different.

bob

PO state drop with Ultra Water the same for me in Win10.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

8 hours ago, glider1 said:

the trick was to delete all of Gigabyte's bloatware software especially "Easytune" and do all the overclocking from bios only.

I had the exact same experience with Asus's AI Suite II back in 2013 when I built my current 3770k system. My overclock was very unstable using it and it interfered with a lot of other software on my system. Getting rid of it was like trying to remove a virus. Asus eventually released a special uninstaller so it could be removed completely. After uninstalling it and manually overclocking my system performed better and has been rock solid ever since. I realize that this was 4 years ago and now the Asus software is version 3, however I am just mentioning this as a heads up as you guys seem to be grasping for straws a little. I used the Asus AI Suite to get a base OC settings, removed it, and then fine tuned from there. I was able to improve the overclock a lot manually from the the generic AI suite settings. In addition the CPU was running much hotter with the AI Suite settings. Again the AI Suite may be much improved now...I certainly hope so. Just something to think about.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

6 hours ago, S_D said:

Rob, what settings are you using for Vector in your latest video?

Haven't installed Vector yet ... as I understand it, Vector is now available for P3D V4 but is still missing a few items like not working with Addon.xml in AEC and I'll disagree with Ed C. on the "low uptake" on using the Add-Ons approach, several key vendors are using it and I hope the process is encouraged ... over time I suspect it will be adopted more and more by 3rd party content providers.

6 hours ago, onebob said:

I noticed Rob was running 'ultra' water, I found its still stepping the PO state down in P3d v4, that's for w7 , maybe w10 is different.

In testing, I run EVGA Precision OC with is OSD (on screen display) for power and GPU frequency and the P state doesn't seem to factor into anything related to actual FPS performance (GPU OC settings will).  I honestly wouldn't worry to much about the P state.  P3D uses CUDA libraries for water Ultra which is a good thing, but since CUDA is nVidia and very much dependent on nVidia's driver support/implementation.

2 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

same experience with Asus's AI Suite II back in 2013 when I built my current 3770k system

ASUS AI Suite 3 has advanced considerably over the past 4 years, as has UEFI/BIOS.  ASUS still seem to have some problems with their "Fan Expert" and their extended fan controller unit that comes with the motherboard ... also can't auto hide Fan Expert icon, you can exit fan Expert after it loads which effectively "hides" it but the Fan Expert services are still running.  But the ASUS services really don't take much away in terms of CPU cycles so they shouldn't have any impact on performance.  However, with that said, if you don't need the additions software/services/drivers and can handle elsewhere in BIOS/UEFI, then agree that less is more :)

Cheers, Rob.

Hey all,

Looking @Rob Ainscough 7900x results has got me itching to pull the trigger on a 7820x. Can we deduce from those results more cores is better? Im using a 7700k at 5ghz with HT off (HT giving me stutters, @SteveW i have tried all your HT wisdom to no provail) but what i have noticed is cores 2 and 3 (texture loading cores) are maxed. So my real question is - is the additional 4 cores going to help this. What is the real world performance gains for V4 using a 7820x with an OC of around 4.7 - 4.8? 

Thanks in advance,

James 

• Upvote 1

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

55 minutes ago, jay281 said:

Hey all,

Looking @Rob Ainscough 7900x results has got me itching to pull the trigger on a 7820x. Can we deduce from those results more cores is better? Im using a 7700k at 5ghz with HT off (HT giving me stutters, @SteveW i have tried all your HT wisdom to no provail) but what i have noticed is cores 2 and 3 (texture loading cores) are maxed. So my real question is - is the additional 4 cores going to help this. What is the real world performance gains for V4 using a 7820x with an OC of around 4.7 - 4.8? 

Thanks in advance,

James 

Still think newer architecture, fast RAM and straight up speed of the individual cores is the winning recipe here. I'd say you a better off waiting another few months for the Coffee Lake 7800K, 6 cores and should be able to get close to those magical 5GHz. That should be the absolute sweet spot between cores, speed and price.

• Upvote 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

@Sethos1988i would tend to agree, I have my RAM @3200 CL15 (i believe the law of deminishing returns past this point) Architecture wise, very little in it between Kabey Lake and Skylake-X. But @Rob Ainscoughresults? Is this purely a cache thing or more cores? 

Intel 10900k @ 5.1 HT on, Nvidia 3090, 32GB RAM @3800mhz, 1TB NVME Drive (P3Dv5.1), 1440p 48' Ultrawide Monitor.

12 minutes ago, jay281 said:

@Sethos1988i would tend to agree, I have my RAM @3200 CL15 (i believe the law of deminishing returns past this point) Architecture wise, very little in it between Kabey Lake and Skylake-X. But @Rob Ainscoughresults? Is this purely a cache thing or more cores? 

I've done multiple tests on the 5960x, which he had before, where I've used AM to lob off cores and I've seen very little in terms of performance decrease. There is something else besides cores at play, because while the additional cores do get used, they are not the reason for the higher framerate. That still rests on the performance of the main render thread. I also find his results are bit too incredible but I do trust Rob, so who knows what's going on here. I certainly wouldn't charge head first into Intel's overpriced, rushed and buggy X299 platform based on these results alone, that's for sure. 

Maybe there's something in the underlying architecture, maybe it's a cache thing, maybe it's just the ESP platform showing its unreliable nature, who knows. 

I'm still gunning for the 7800K, hopefully delidded and lottery tested, which I still believe will be a crackin' CPU for flight sims. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

@Sethos1988i did look at 7800x, but i would assume a 7820x would be binned better due to its higher boost clock? 

Edit: just seen the K, oops!

Just now, jay281 said:

@Sethos1988i did look at 7800x, but i would assume a 7820x would be binned better due to its higher boost clock? 

Oh boy, I seem to have messed up the numbers. Whenever I said 7800K, pretend I said 8700K -- That's the upcoming Coffee Lake line. All these numbers are so confusing. And you can be absolutely sure none of these CPUs are binned from the factory. Boost clock doesn't really say much, other than being a nice advertisement number you can bump up, to make a more expensive CPU look even better I reckon. 

I've I've spent the last few days now trying all sorts of different combinations of BIOS settings, drivers and even versions of P3D (v3.4 and both versions of v4 - with and without the update) and, in every case, I cannot shift this blurry texture problem.  I have already got an RMA number for my Aorus Gaming 9 and that will be going back this weekend - deep joy at having to drain the custom water cooling loop but hey ho!

So the next consideration is what to replace the board with.  I've been waiting for news on the new Rampage VI Extreme/Apex boards but nothing heard as yet - ASUS did provide a 'coming soon' video yesterday but, given I'm in the UK, I suspect it's at least a month away.  

I've decided, therefore, to do away with my attempt at the X299 platform and revert back to the good old X99 instead.  So I shall be getting a Rampage V Edition 10 and a 6950X and a full board monoblock from EKWB to keep everything nice and cool.  Given that this is a much more mature platform, I should be able to just get on with flying from day 1.  I don't think being an early adopter is for me....lesson learnt!

To that end I have a 7900X, capable of overclocking to 4.7GHz comfortably and probably 4.8 with some extra tweaking.  Anyone in the EU interested - please drop me a line.  I'll post an add in the hardware section too.

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.