Sign in to follow this  

i9 7900X vs. i7 5960X - P3D V4 performance results 85% FPS increase

1 hour ago, penta_a said:

How can that be done if I may ask?

I'm using Task Manager in Win10 Pro ... right click Prepar3D and select "Go Details" ... now right click again on the Prepar3d.exe and select "Set affinity".  Now uncheck a CPU or CPUs as desired.

Cheers, Rob.

Could u test a "realistic" scenario which uses PMDG, AS16 and some AI? The test results will be much more relevant to other members.

I already can achieve 40-60 avg FPS with my i7 5820k using the stock GA planes.

I found the problem with Terrain Blurries (aka Low Textures) ... I've recorded a video demonstrating the problem and it's uploading now.  Good news, it's easy to replicate and easy to fix.  Even more good news it's NOT a problem with P3D.  The problem is Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology, disable it and you should see your Terrain Load Times increase and you'll no longer have blurries and as far as I can tell performance is unchanged, maybe even a little smoother.

I'm up loading a video now and will post later.

If someone running Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology and is having this problem, could you please test on your system by disabling it.

Cheers, Rob.

10 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I found the problem with Terrain Blurries (aka Low Textures) ... I've recorded a video demonstrating the problem and it's uploading now.  Good news, it's easy to replicate and easy to fix.  Even more good news it's NOT a problem with P3D.  The problem is Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology, disable it and you should see your Terrain Load Times increase and you'll no longer have blurries and as far as I can tell performance is unchanged, maybe even a little smoother.

I'm up loading a video now and will post later.

If someone running Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology and is having this problem, could you please test on your system by disabling it.

Cheers, Rob.

Aha well spotted Rob.  Unfortunately, on my Gigabyte board, Turbo Boost is always on with no way to disable it.  The only option I have is whether to use it in native or legacy mode. Native, the default, doesn't add any driver/application to Windows whilst legacy does.

So I'm going to stick to my plan and get rid of that board and await the arrival of the Rampage VI Extreme.

Regards,

Ady

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

1 hour ago, Rob Ainscough said:

I'm using Task Manager in Win10 Pro ... right click Prepar3D and select "Go Details" ... now right click again on the Prepar3d.exe and select "Set affinity".  Now uncheck a CPU or CPUs as desired.

Cheers, Rob.

thanks a lot for the detailed guidance.

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | Samsung G9 49" Curved Monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.

17 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

Aha well spotted Rob.  Unfortunately, on my Gigabyte board, Turbo Boost is always on with no way to disable it.

Are you sure about this?  Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology is software based and was an optional install from my ASUS drivers download page.  You can download the Intel drivers manually from Intel's web site here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26103/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3-0

Install them, then there is an option to "Disable".

Cheers, Rob.

7 minutes ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Are you sure about this?  Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology is software based and was an optional install from my ASUS drivers download page.  You can download the Intel drivers manually from Intel's web site here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26103/Intel-Turbo-Boost-Max-Technology-3-0

Install them, then there is an option to "Disable".

Cheers, Rob.

Yup, I'm sure. But setting the BIOS option to legacy gives the app you're referring to where I could set disabled.

Coming from the Rampage V Extreme, this Gigabyte board has some odd ways of doing things!

Corsair Obsidian 900D, ASUS Maximus XI Formula Motherboard, Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.2GHz (HT off), 32GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 2TB SeaGate FireCuda NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIe SSD, 2 x 6TB WD Black 7200rpm SATA, nVidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, ASUS ROG curved ultrawide 1440p monitor.  All water-cooled with EKWB blocks.

6 hours ago, glider1 said:

Rob that old trick has been around for ages (at least a year) going back all the way to v3 and it happens on a four core always has. Kicking the threads like that only works temporarily. Not sure about HT. There would be at least three people I know of on Avsim that have noticed this over a long time.

Despite the thread took a turn here's a remark on this:

I asked this years ago at the LM forum for version 2 or 3, and someone from the LM crew (Beau Hollis?) disappoved it as it would destroy with Prepar3d's natural threading mechanism.

This trick has been certainly around for more than 5 years now. I made a little batch file switching cores back and forth on the fly after the simulation started. However, I didn't see a real need for it on my little toy machine so far and thus I didn't try it in version 4 yet.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Ok, here is the video I made demonstrating the problem and how to disable Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology.  From monitor my CPU speed, I don't see any difference, so not really sure what this technology is supposed to accomplish other than cause contention and put one CPU at 100% utilization even when I'm just sitting at the desktop with nothing running other than the OS.  

4 minutes ago, pmb said:

crew (Beau Hollis?) disappoved

I agree with Beau, it's NOT desirable to change affinity "on the fly" ... on my setup, changing affinity "on the fly" causes all kinds of stutters (long frames).  If you're using Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology and have this issue (aka blurries), try to disable it and see if that solves it.  I might add this "solution" to the P3D Tips sticky.

Cheers, Rob.

7 hours ago, Rob Ainscough said:

Ok, here is the video I made demonstrating the problem and how to disable Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology.  

Hi,

Thanks for the info. My MB (intel) only allows overclocking through the Turbo Boost mode. Meaning, I can only adjust the turbo boost multipliers for my i5 2500k to get to 4.5 Ghz.

I am planning on upgrading to an i7 7700k, do you know of a MB that will allow me to overclock without using the turbo boost multipliers or is this something specific to the CPU?

Turbo Boost and Turbo Boost Max are two completely different things, with Turbo Boost Max being a new feature of the new chip architecture being used in the i9 processors.

25 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

I am planning on upgrading to an i7 7700k, do you know of a MB that will allow me to overclock without using the turbo boost multipliers or is this something specific to the CPU?

Intel's Turbo Boost Max has been around for some time going back to 2008 Nehalem, and TBM V2.0 for Sandy Bridge, and now TBM V3.0 for Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake.

You can read about Turbo Boost here as it is also OS related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Turbo_Boost

From what I can tell, not "everyone" has this problem.  In my case, it was rather apparent as per my video, even when I'm sitting at the desktop doing NOTHING one CPU core is still pegged at 100% utilization ... this was causing all kinds of problems for P3D since it supports multi-core threading (specifically terrain loading).

I normally operate ALL my CPU cores at a fixed frequency, I don't care about power savings when I'm in flight.  IMHO, this just looks like a bug in Intel's Turbo Boost drivers/services.  I typically do all my OC work from within AI Suite 3 (ASUS) so I'm not familiar with "turbo boost multipliers"?  There is a Turbo Mode but as far as frequency multipliers I've gone with ratio value X BCLK and at a fixed frequency. 

Here is the bad news (for me anyway), I'm NOT able to uninstall Intel's Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology.  I can select "Uninstall" from Add/Remove Programs, it will go thru the motion of uninstalling and then request a "restart" ... which I do, but after rebooting, the Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology returns and is still installed.  Oh joy.  Fortunately I can just select "Disable" per my video above.

Cheers, Rob.

Hey @Rob Ainscough

I have an RMA number for my Gigabyte board but, just on the off-chance I can use legacy mode then disable Turbo Boost in the same way you did, I'm in the midst of a reinstall.

Will let you know the results - fingers crossed as I really don't want to drain my custom loop, send this board back and then wait up to a month for the Rampage VI.

9 minutes ago, adyfoot said:

just on the off-chance I can use legacy mode then disable Turbo Boost in the same way you did, I'm in the midst of a reinstall.

I have Turbo Mode enabled.  If you're running one of the listed CPUs for Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology and did NOT install Intel's Turbo Boost Max 3.0 drivers, then you should see a "?" or caution icon in the device manager indicating no driver for this feature was installed.

Be warned, once you install the Intel Turbo Boost Max 3.0 Technology, it's a system driver and hence will NOT uninstall (at least not in the traditional way of Add/Remove Programs).  However, not a big deal since you can "Disable" Turbo Boost Max 3.0 technology per the video I provided above and it will stay disabled.

I've also disabled HT in BIOS which has helped reduce CPU temps and less long frames in P3D even at extremely high graphics settings.  Terrain clarity is very good now even at 600 KTS and I'm back to using TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10.

Cheers, Rob.