Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

Orbx Acquires all of Vector

From what I read in the Orbx forums, the delay in updating Vector has been due to a third-party (Pilots).  It appears, according to a post by John, that Orbx now has 100% ownership of Vector and its source files.  I hope that means that we will see it soon for v4!

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

1 minute ago, ricka47 said:

we will see it soon for v4!

'Soon' being a year.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I hope that it's not that long.  He talks of integrating "Vector and OLC into a unified product over the next year."  I hope that the integration part is what will take a year and not the release of Vector separately before then.

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

I mentioned it before, they're showing it off in their OpenLC South America screenshots, so it's not like it isn't working in v4. They probably bought it because the "lazy a**" Pilot's devs were dragging their feet. heh

• Upvote 3

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

:biggrin: Hope springs eternal as they say. 'Arses' is the word you're looking for Jacek

• Upvote 4

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I bought Vector well over a year ago but uninstalled it and went back to using my UTX.  There was just too many things wrong with it...VAS usage, inaccurate vector data, everything you would expect from an open source database that had not been made "ready for prime time" yet.  People would report the problems they found, and would get answers like, "I'll look at it when I get home from work" (from an actual forum post response).  The product has been around way too long to still have the kind of issues it has.  IMO, ORBX needed to take it over to maintain any credibility of the overall ORBX scenery franchise.  They couldn't just keep saying, "It's from a third-party developer we use, and we can't tell them what to do.....".

Anyhow, I'm not planning on buying ORBX new South America Open Landclass if I can't install Vector while STILL keeping my UTX installed for the US, Canada, and Europe.  ORBX needs to make Vector "modular" so the user can turn off the geographical areas they DON'T want to use it for.  UTX is still miles ahead in the same coverage areas as Vector.

• Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

He talks of integrating "Vector and OLC into a unified product over the next year."

Presumably with a unified price hike as well.

3 minutes ago, jenxy said:

It's unlikely to cost any more than the two products combined at the current pricing point.

44 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

I bought Vector well over a year ago but uninstalled it and went back to using my UTX.  There was just too many things wrong with it...VAS usage, inaccurate vector data, everything you would expect from an open source database that had not been made "ready for prime time" yet.  People would report the problems they found, and would get answers like, "I'll look at it when I get home from work" (from an actual forum post response).  The product has been around way too long to still have the kind of issues it has.  IMO, ORBX needed to take it over to maintain any credibility of the overall ORBX scenery franchise.  They couldn't just keep saying, "It's from a third-party developer we use, and we can't tell them what to do.....".

Anyhow, I'm not planning on buying ORBX new South America Open Landclass if I can't install Vector while STILL keeping my UTX installed for the US, Canada, and Europe.  ORBX needs to make Vector "modular" so the user can turn off the geographical areas they DON'T want to use it for.  UTX is still miles ahead in the same coverage areas as Vector.

Interesting - I used UTX in the FSX days and have been using ORBX products since switching over to P3D.  I haven't heard this about UTX being so much better before, however.

Rick Abshier

3 minutes ago, jenxy said:

Presumably it is a little premature to unify one's worries and speculations about that already.

Just now, JacquesBrel said:

Presumably it is a little premature to unify one's worries and speculations about that already.

Not really. If they are merging two products, then the price of the merged product will be at least the cost of the individuaL packages.

Global = $100 AUS, Vector = $80 AUS. New product (Globtor, Vectobal, whatever) would be at least $180 AUS. Unless they are not just a 'Profits Über Alles' company.

We shall see.

I uninstalled Vector as well.  It was basically a "meh" kind of product for me.  I definitely was on the receiving end of non-responses for fixes and issues that never came to fruition...and several locked threads actually lol.  I had to water it down so much because of the VAS hit it just wasn't worth keeping installed.  But, even with everything enabled it wasn't looking as good as their screenshots to begin with on my powerful system.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Vector has been an absolute game-changer for me, even with all its problems (and in a 32-bit FSX, believe me, the VAS issues were no joke). There's simply no alternative to it if you want to fly anywhere outside of North America or Europe -- have you SEEN the default coastlines in most of the world?

If we're really talking about waiting a year for Vector in v4, that's just awful -- and also seemingly incomprehensible. They've already been showing shots of their new landclass product with Vector running in v4, so what on earth could take so long?

James

• Upvote 1

Vector is global, OpenLC is continental, I don't get how they can be merged. More info is needed.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link