Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

RealAir Citabria + V4

On a whim, I installed my Realair Scout package into V4. I did this by installing into a fake FSX folder, then copied the folders over. To my delight it showed up in V4, loaded in V4, all textures were in place as were the sounds! It started up beautifully and with a smile on the chops I headed off down the runway...and kept heading off down the runway with the stall warning blaring. NOTHING would get the little tyke off the ground.

Mmm. I then went to the map and stuck 5000 to my altitude. Whaddya know, it flew! Just as I remember it. I landed (perfectly of course) and sat for a few moments feeling pretty smug.

I then tried to take off again...Smugness disappeared. Same refusal to get off the ground.

Question: Is there anything that jumps out at you all, or do I simply wave goodbye to a very nice little kite?

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

Answer is above my pay grade. For me it would be a bye-bye until somebody figures it out. And I'd still hesitate to install. Trying to keep it clean in V4.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

On a whim, I installed my Realair Scout package into V4. I did this by installing into a fake FSX folder, then copied the folders over. To my delight it showed up in V4, loaded in V4, all textures were in place as were the sounds! It started up beautifully and with a smile on the chops I headed off down the runway...and kept heading off down the runway with the stall warning blaring. NOTHING would get the little tyke off the ground.

Mmm. I then went to the map and stuck 5000 to my altitude. Whaddya know, it flew! Just as I remember it. I landed (perfectly of course) and sat for a few moments feeling pretty smug.

I then tried to take off again...Smugness disappeared. Same refusal to get off the ground.

Question: Is there anything that jumps out at you all, or do I simply wave goodbye to a very nice little kite?

Ron,

I have the Real Air Scout package working in P3Dv4. I just copied the folders over from my P3Dv3 install. It is working fine. I just tested the Scout and Citabria and both accelerated and lifted off normally. What was your manifold pressure gauge reading Ron? Is it possible that there was too much up elevator trim so it was trying to lift and stalling? What was your density altitude? 

Here is my engine section from the acft cfg.

[piston_engine]
power_scalar=1.0                       //Piston power scalar 0.985
cylinder_displacement=90.3                     //Cubic inches per cylinder
compression_ratio=4.5                          //Compression ratio
number_of_cylinders=6                           //Number of cylinders
max_rated_rpm=2700                             //Max rated RPM
max_rated_hp=180                               //Max rated HP
fuel_metering_type=1                           //0=Fuel Injected, 1=Gravity Carbureter, 2=Aerobatic Carbureter
cooling_type=0                                 //0=Cooling type Air, 1=Cooling type Liquid
normalized_starter_torque=0.5                 //Starter torque factor
turbocharged=1                                 //Need due to FSX power ramp at altitude
max_design_mp=27.2                               //Max design manifold pressure, (inHg)
min_design_mp=0                               //Min design manifold pressure, (inHg)
critical_altitude=4200               //Altitude to which the turbocharger will provide max design manifold pressure (feet)
emergency_boost_type=0                         //0=None, 1=Water Injection, 2=Methanol/Water injection, 3=War Emergency Power
emergency_boost_mp_offset=0                    //Additional manifold pressure supplied by emergency boost
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0                  //Multiplier on manifold pressure due to emergency boost
fuel_air_auto_mixture=0                        //Automixture available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
auto_ignition=0                                //Auto-Ignition available? 0=FALSE, 1=TRUE
max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.0       //Scalar on maximum RPM mechanical efficiency
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.17      //Scalar on idle RPM mechanical efficiency
max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.0                    //Scalar on maximum RPM friction
idle_rpm_friction_scalar=0.7                 //Scalar on idle RPM friction

It is stock and as you can see it is listed as turbo charged with a max of 27.2". Critical altitude is listed as 4,200. I think they did this to get it work correctly. What does you engine section look like?

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

well,  I installed it when I got v4 and haven't had an issue, other than the missing sounds, I haven't had a chance to switch the sound gauge over.  But, I have only flown the scout and decathlon.  lemme try the base plane, and I'll report back

Thanks for the input Greg.

My .cfg is identical. I deleted all the files I copied over and then installed it by pointing the installer to V4. Same results.

On retesting I found that if I just let the plane decide for itself when to lift off it was OK. The trouble with that is for a bush plane it needs one heckuva runway!

I did, incidentally, check trim and mixture etc. so it wasn't that. Besides this was at Eglin Field!

I'll play with it some more. See how it goes.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

just fired up the citabria at eglin field.  had it off the ground before the first taxiway no flaps.  the scout version has been my primary scenery testing plane since I installed v4 no issues.  I realize this is terrible news, since I don't have an answer as to the problem.  installer run as administrator?

1 hour ago, Ron Attwood said:

Thanks for the input Greg.

My .cfg is identical. I deleted all the files I copied over and then installed it by pointing the installer to V4. Same results.

On retesting I found that if I just let the plane decide for itself when to lift off it was OK. The trouble with that is for a bush plane it needs one heckuva runway!

I did, incidentally, check trim and mixture etc. so it wasn't that. Besides this was at Eglin Field!

I'll play with it some more. See how it goes.

Ron

If you want performance from the old gal back up the original and try this.

[piston_engine]
//Engine Manufacturer Textron Lycoming, Model TIO-540-AG1A, Number of Cylinders 6, Displacement 541.5 cu. in. (8.87 l), //Maximum Power 270 HP @ 2,700 RPM, Recommended TBO 2,000 hours
power_scalar=1.0
cylinder_displacement=90.250
compression_ratio=8.000
number_of_cylinders=6
max_rated_rpm=2700.000
max_rated_hp=270.000
fuel_metering_type=0
cooling_type=0
normalized_starter_torque=0.6
turbocharged=1
max_design_mp=38.000
min_design_mp=1.000
critical_altitude=18100.000
emergency_boost_type=0
emergency_boost_mp_offset=0.000
emergency_boost_gain_offset=0.000
fuel_air_auto_mixture=0
auto_ignition=0
fuel_flow_scalar=1.000
max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.000000
idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.170000
max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.000000
idle_rpm_friction_scalar=0.700000

[propeller]
//Propeller, Manufacturer McCauley, Model B3D32C419/82 NHA-5, 
//Type Constant-Speed, Hydraulic, Number of Blades 3, Diameter 82"
thrust_scalar=1.2
propeller_type=0
propeller_diameter=6.83
propeller_blades=3
propeller_moi=5.800
beta_max=38.000
beta_min=11.000
min_gov_rpm=1100.000
prop_tc=0.002
gear_reduction_ratio=1.000
fixed_pitch_beta=20.000
low_speed_theory_limit=80.000
prop_sync_available=0
prop_deice_available=0
prop_feathering_available=0
prop_auto_feathering_available=0
min_rpm_for_feather=0.000
beta_feather=0.000
power_absorbed_cf=0.000
defeathering_accumulators_available=0
prop_reverse_available=0
minimum_on_ground_beta=0.000
minimum_reverse_beta=0.000  

New engine and new prop specs are listed in the cfg. Cruise at 30" and 2500 RPM. I got this mod back in the FS9 days from Peter Mac? of Little Bandit fame.

Greg

Greg Morin

Whoa! That's a nice injection of horses! It'll now take off in the 670ft the manual says does. Does that apply to all the range or just the Scouts?

Hi.  I have installed my Scout and Citabria in P3d and they work fine except the radio display are blank.  All switches work OK, just nothing in the display spaces.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Geejo

Do you have the RASScout07 and RASScout07_gauges in your gauges folder?

Greg

Greg Morin

Thanks Greg.  that fixed it.  the only difference is the RASScout07_Radios not guages.

Geejo