Sign in to follow this  
Jason_Peters

Whats the best method to move from v3 to v4?

Getting ready to get started on my install, working on downloading the many updates as we speak...

What's the best method to move from v3 to v4? Should I completely un-install and start over? Can stuff be moved? As with many simmers, I can't say I'm excited about an un-install, re-install... ugh time consuming!

if you have ORBX stuff, don't kill your v3 install until everything is installable in v4, or you'll have to download it all again.  other than that, the best way is to install all stuff again into v4,  unless you are already a wiz at moving necessary files, don't just try to throw all your stuff into v4 manually.

Complete uninstall of v3 and clean install of v4 worked very well for me.  I've been adding add-ons back slowly, mainly PMDG, AS2016, and ORBX.  Well worth it IMHO.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

12 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

if you have ORBX stuff, don't kill your v3 install until everything is installable in v4, or you'll have to download it all again.  

This is good advice if you're sensitive to large downloads.  I kept P3Dv3 installed, which helped with the Orbx installs, but must point out that I haven't run P3Dv3 once since P3Dv4 was loaded.  Everything just works well with V4, and no more OOMs.  Just install your must have apps one at a time, no need to rush.  And by all means, just enjoy!

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks guys.. working on things now. Is there a way to retain my button/axis assignments from FSUIPC4 and get them over to v5?

Also, after moving the Orbx stuff from v3 to v4 can v3 be uninstalled?... I see no reason to keep both installed otherwise..

I uninstalled V3 and all addons, wiped my sim SSD and started fresh. Wasn't too painful because compatible addons were just trickling in. Never felt daunting to get flying again. Also choose to keep it simple this time around. A few A2A planes, some choice scenery in Socal, ASP4, Chaseplane, and REX Soft Cliuds when they deliver next week.

Easy.

1 hour ago, Jason_Peters said:

Thanks guys.. working on things now. Is there a way to retain my button/axis assignments from FSUIPC4 and get them over to v5?

Also, after moving the Orbx stuff from v3 to v4 can v3 be uninstalled?... I see no reason to keep both installed otherwise..

Just copy the FSUIPC4 ini file and rename it FSUIPC5.ini. All set togo. I'm assuming you have purchased V5.  :)

Just as a suggestion - you might read up on the preferred install method for aircraft and scenery - add-on.xml. There's a great freeware tool located here at Avsim in the Lorby forum - program is P4AO - P3dv4 Add On organizer.

once you get the hang of it and have very little installed inside the P3D folder, you don't have to worry about reinstalling when there is an update. Take the time and get familiar with it, you won't regret it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors