Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

Contemplating a new PC Build

Well at least you'll have a new rig to keep you company. :biggrin:

I was debating whether to get a turn key system or build one. I've always built them myself an have quite a collection of spare parts, so I decided to build one again. The PC builds are actually getting a lot simpler and easier compared to 20 years ago. 

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

3 minutes ago, Pete S said:

Well at least you'll have a new rig to keep you company. :biggrin:

I was debating whether to get a turn key system or build one. I've always built them myself an have quite a collection of spare parts, so I decided to build one again. The PC builds are actually getting a lot simpler and easier compared to 20 years ago. 

Especially since you tube tutorials can teach a monkey to build one :biggrin:

I even repaired my fridge via you tube

ZORAN

But a monkey can't request an RMA on a DOA motherboard. :biggrin:  I've built my last two gaming PCs and was all set to build this one, but when I kept reading reviews about parts arriving bad, I decided to try to avoid some headaches and buy a prebuilt machine. Only time will tell if this was a sound strategy.

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Although it generally saves you some money, I think that the biggest argument for building it yourself is that you get to use the best brand and model of each component that you can afford with no generic parts. That said, most of the better gaming PCs do come with brand name parts, just not necessarily the same quality you'd use yourself. You still get the warranty on individual parts but it just means you have to troubleshoot any problems yourself.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

8 hours ago, vortex681 said:

. That said, most of the better gaming PCs do come with brand name parts, just not necessarily the same quality you'd use yourself. You still get the warranty on individual parts but it just means you have to troubleshoot any problems yourself.

Jetline Systems built a computer for me a while back and it to my specifications with the same quality parts I would have used if I had built it myself.  It worked without any problems right out of the box. :smile:

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

10 minutes ago, Bluestar said:

Jetline Systems built a computer for me a while back and it to my specifications with the same quality parts I would have used if I had built it myself.  It worked without any problems right out of the box. :smile:

Jetline have a very good reputation but at a cost. If you take their GT2 as an example, using PartPicker to source the components, you could build an identical system for almost $1200 less - that's quite a premium to pay to have someone else build it.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

On 8/3/2017 at 4:58 AM, vortex681 said:

Although it generally saves you some money, I think that the biggest argument for building it yourself is that you get to use the best brand and model of each component that you can afford with no generic parts. That said, most of the better gaming PCs do come with brand name parts, just not necessarily the same quality you'd use yourself. You still get the warranty on individual parts but it just means you have to troubleshoot any problems yourself.

Those are the main reasons I like to build my own, save money and the fact that it gives me a great PC and a feeling of accomplishment.

The last time I bought a complete PC was from Gateway back in early nineties, since then I have built over 15 PCs (mostly for myself)  and never regretted building any of them.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

rjfry,

You're talking about a LGA 2066 Motherboard that would require a processor costing twice what a LGA 1151 CPU costs.

I don't think FS performance would justify the steep increase in price of the MB/CPU combo. 

I'm sticking with MSI Z270 Gaming M5 board and I7-7700K,  that I just ordered at a fraction of what an Aorus x299 and Kaby Lake X would cost.

Pete S.

On 8/2/2017 at 5:55 PM, odourboy said:

Looks good! I have some concerns about the optane memory option but it feint heart never had a fair maiden.  I didn't mention the purchase to the CFO. It could be a long lonely summer when word gets out. :bengong:

Greetings odourboy,

Well I've got the CFO's approval, all the parts for my system ordered, some have already arrived . :biggrin:

Changed a couple of things again:

-Going with a Cooler Master liquid Cooler, using one now and I like it and the price.

-Added the Optane back in.

-Changed to G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 3000. Lots of pretty LED colors :biggrin: ,on sale for same price as my first choice.

-Changed the HD to a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD.

-The Mid Tower Case is be DIYPC J180-BL I already received it, it looks like a nice case with lots of room and only $32 with the $5 rebate.

Total Price will be about $1800 not bad for what I'm getting! Love Newegg and Pay Pal (6 months no payment/no interest).  

I'm still waiting for the I7-7700K, my brother-in-law will pick one up for me at Micro Center in KC, we don't have one in Oklahoma so I'll have to wait 'till next month when he brings it over. Couldn't pass up their $299 price, but it's an 'in store only' price!  I guess I can always ask him to mail it to me if I run out of patience.

I also decided to order the Optane 32GB, I'm really curious as to whether it will be better than my SDD, for running the P3Dv4.  I'l try it both ways.

Let me know what you think of the Optane when you get you rig.

Pete S.

4 hours ago, Pete S said:

Greetings odourboy,

Well I've got the CFO's approval, all the parts for my system ordered, some have already arrived . :biggrin:

Changed a couple of things again:

-Going with a Cooler Master liquid Cooler, using one now and I like it and the price.

-Added the Optane back in.

-Changed to G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 3000. Lots of pretty LED colors :biggrin: ,on sale for same price as my first choice.

-Changed the HD to a 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD.

-The Mid Tower Case is be DIYPC J180-BL I already received it, it looks like a nice case with lots of room and only $32 with the $5 rebate.

Total Price will be about $1800 not bad for what I'm getting! Love Newegg and Pay Pal (6 months no payment/no interest).  

I'm still waiting for the I7-7700K, my brother-in-law will pick one up for me at Micro Center in KC, we don't have one in Oklahoma so I'll have to wait 'till next month when he brings it over. Couldn't pass up their $299 price, but it's an 'in store only' price!  I guess I can always ask him to mail it to me if I run out of patience.

I also decided to order the Optane 32GB, I'm really curious as to whether it will be better than my SDD, for running the P3Dv4.  I'l try it both ways.

Let me know what you think of the Optane when you get you rig.

I fired up my rig last night for the first time. Still installing basic utilities and playing with fans profiles, clocks etc. Early impressions of optane are positive. Boots are very fast. Same with browser loading. I haven't turned off the optane module to compare yet, so it's still very subjective.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)