Sign in to follow this  
loonyknownothing

NGX V4 no Speed restriction

Morning all, 

I have noticed that I am unable to manually enter speed restrictions in the climb page. Just get a invalid entry warning message. I type it as 240/10000 or 240/100, same message when trying to enter in the "SPD/REST" SECTION. Also noticed it will not auto stick to 250 below 10000ft. Just speeds to cruise speed. Can enter a speed restriction into the legs page for a certain way point and it will adhere. Been a few months since I've flown this girl but i'm sure that is what I used to do!!

http://prntscr.com/fvz4lk

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks

Edited by loonyknownothing
screen shot added

On 7/15/2017 at 6:06 AM, loonyknownothing said:

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Using saved flights from V3? If so, don't.

Kyle Rodgers

23 hours ago, scandinavian13 said:

Using saved flights from V3? If so, don't.

nope, completely removed all traces of V3 before installing V4. Including scenery and aircraft. It also doesn't matter if its cld&drk or engine ready. I've noticed I can enter the restriction when on the ground but once taken off it just removes itself

ok so it appewars to be if i preselect a step climb in the crz page its will delete any entry into the spd rest point on the clb page.....

Mark, it is not the place to put your speed restriction. See FMS Climb Phase FCOM 11.41.3.  If you have a speed constraint at a fix, which some SIDs do have, then the restriction is entered on the LEGS page.  The FCOM explains the various climb pages fields following the page reference provided.  Note the page you provided a screen shot of indicates a target climb speed above 10,000.

We might be more helpful if we knew what you were trying to achieve.  Speed constraints in a climb are very unusual.

Dan Downs KCRP

Basically my VA flight tracker will detect if I fly over 250kts under FL100. So i like to set a Speed restriction to 240 under FL100 so as to save my tracker from detecting the "overspeed" I have always done it this way. As as per the FCOM 11.41.3 (I just read it (i won't lie i hadn't before now)) it does say manual entries maybe added. 

So I would basically in LSK3L enter 240/100 and that would prevent my aircraft flying above 240kts below FL100. This would be over ruled by and SID restrictions where speeds would be slower. Then when above FL100 the plane would auto climb under VNAV to the selected speed and altitude.

Now if I enter a step climb in the crz page whilst on the ground then my entry will be removed, unable to add any entry and then whilst climbing out on any unrestricted SID the plane will just shoot to cruise speed in the climb from takeoff. If i don't enter a step climb or enter it after FL100 then it works how it always used to 

I really hope this makes sense. 

2 hours ago, loonyknownothing said:

Now if I enter a step climb in the crz page whilst on the ground then my entry will be removed, unable to add any entry and then whilst climbing out on any unrestricted SID the plane will just shoot to cruise speed in the climb from takeoff. If i don't enter a step climb or enter it after FL100 then it works how it always used to 

As Dan's pointed out, this here is your problem. Cruise step climbs are entered on the legs page in the right hand column, not in the VNAV cruise page. The entry format should be for example /330S, or if you want constant mach for a leg 0.88/330S. To return to economy cruise ECON/330S.

5 hours ago, loonyknownothing said:

Basically my VA flight tracker will detect if I fly over 250kts under FL100.

That is not only silly but unrealistic.  Any tailwind and you bust the speed limit from the perspective of a ground observer.  If the game doesn't give you a 5 kt KIAS variance then it is unrealistic.  No FAA rule requires an airspeed to be held any closer than +/- 5 kts to target.  Finally, many heavies will have to go faster to simply be safe when heavy... how does your game accommodate that?  I'm sorry for the attitude, I don't like such games.

Dan Downs KCRP

1 hour ago, downscc said:

That is not only silly but unrealistic.  Any tailwind and you bust the speed limit from the perspective of a ground observer.  If the game doesn't give you a 5 kt KIAS variance then it is unrealistic.  No FAA rule requires an airspeed to be held any closer than +/- 5 kts to target.  Finally, many heavies will have to go faster to simply be safe when heavy... how does your game accommodate that?  I'm sorry for the attitude, I don't like such games.

It actually is realistic. Tail wind/ Head wind will effect the ground speed, not airspeed. Ie, so long as your IAS is <250, your GS can be 400 for all they care. ATC may have  a problem with that though ;)

Most airlines (mine included) now have sensors all over the Aircraft. One of them is 250IAS below 10000'. If we "bust" that limit, we can expect a phone call from the bosses. 

These limits vary depending on where you are, and also depend on Airframe limitations.

• Upvote 1

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer

On 20/07/2017 at 1:01 AM, PMDG777 said:

As Dan's pointed out, this here is your problem. Cruise step climbs are entered on the legs page in the right hand column, not in the VNAV cruise page. The entry format should be for example /330S, or if you want constant mach for a leg 0.88/330S. To return to economy cruise ECON/330S.

I've never been able to enter a step climb that way on the NGX. I always get a invalid entry warning. I've always done it that way on the T7 & 744. I'll dig into it more and read the FCOM properly. Thanks for your assistance everyone.

Update. 

I created a support ticket as i wasn't getting anywhere and turns out it is a fault and has been put forward to the development team.

On 20.7.2017 at 5:51 AM, NJ_Flyer said:

Most airlines (mine included) now have sensors all over the Aircraft. One of them is 250IAS below 10000'. If we "bust" that limit, we can expect a phone call from the bosses.

Not all parts of the world have this scrict adherence to this rule, however. The lack of a gigantic Class E-block gives more flexibility as you don't risk plowing through a 152 every other mile. "Keep speed 260/270/280 or greater to remain no1 in sequence" is one I hear quite a lot in the terminal area below FL100.

On 8/21/2017 at 0:13 PM, Meese said:

Not all parts of the world have this scrict adherence to this rule, however. The lack of a gigantic Class E-block gives more flexibility as you don't risk plowing through a 152 every other mile. "Keep speed 260/270/280 or greater to remain no1 in sequence" is one I hear quite a lot in the terminal area below FL100.

Agreed. In which case we can comply with ATC. But I have to make it a note of it so when they come asking questions, I can say exactly that.

Cheers,
Ryan

Professional Coffee Drinker/BAe146 Driver
Aircraft Maintenance Engineer