Sign in to follow this  
whamil77

690B Discrepancy List

Here is what Engle Creek Aviation said about their -10T conversion for the 690A & B

"The Dash 10T provides a noticeable torque gain at altitudes over the -5 engine.

The Dash 10T engine powered 690A test aircraft consistently demonstrated 300-310 KTAS cruise speeds at 20,000 feet, depending on aircraft weight.

(Performance data based on preliminary flight tests. 690A and B aircraft have been tested with similar performance improvements.)"

That's only 17ktas more than the 690B...It would be interesting to find out how much higher the fuel flow is with the -10 engines and how expensive the conversion is.

However 300ktas is still not even remotely jet like, especially not as the max cruising speed happens only at low altitude. 

I suspect you would consider the -10T conversions only if your -5 have seen their better days, here is some cost and performance info!

"The special price for the complete two-engine conversion including removal of the engines from the aircraft, upgrading the turbine sections with Dash 10T components and other engine modifications inherent in the conversion, upgrading the airframe with new parts to accommodate the reworked engines and, finally, installation of the Dash 10T powerplants, is just $530,000 for 690A and B models. (Owners of Dash-5-powered 690C and D models should call for a price quote.) That is a full $100,000 discount — about 16 percent — off the normal price of the Dash 10T conversion for the A/B.

The Dash 10T offers greater performance because the upgraded hot section results in a nearly 20 percent higher thermodynamic rating than the Dash 5 version of the engine. That means the Dash 10T can maintain maximum flat-rated power to about 16,000 feet compared to about 6,000 feet for the Dash 5, and cruise at 300-plus knots compared to about 275. The Dash 10T also has better fuel specifics compared to the Dash 5 for even better fuel efficiency."

Cheers

Martin

Powered the Avidine display off. Could not power it back up; in fact the cursor - normally a finger pointer for active buttons, etc, turn into the arrow.  Reloaded another 690. It did the same thing.

Headed for Carenado support now,.

3 hours ago, J35OE said:

That's only 17ktas more than the 690B...It would be interesting to find out how much higher the fuel flow is with the -10 engines and how expensive the conversion is.

However 300ktas is still not even remotely jet like, especially not as the max cruising speed happens only at low altitude. 

While certainly not "jet-like" at cruise, it is a pretty good upgrade especially if it's overhaul time anyway.  There is more to the story than just cruise speed.  The climb rate is "jet-like" with -10 engines so one can get to the 300+ KTAS altitude much quicker.  It is a very popular mod with a large percentage of Commander owners.  Of course, the 1000s and 980s were delivered with -10s.  It's pretty hard to find a 900 or an 840 that hasn't been modified.   

The TPE-331 engines are actually superior to the PT-6 in many ways.  They have a TBO of 5000 hrs. versus 3600 for the Pratt.  And overhaul of a TPE is less expensive than a PT-6.  The TPE also delivers similar power at much lower fuel flows.  Money and performance wise, the TPE is a far superior engine.  But it's noisy on the ramp and Beechcraft went with the PT-6.  The rest is history.  Beta tapes were far superior to VHS, but VHS won the market.  The TPE is superior to the PT-6, but the PT-6 won the market.  Go figure.     

• Upvote 1

Ken Alger  aka Tenpin Today at 14:41

Going though my checks, and even though it's not on the list I powered the Avidine off; could not get it back on. My cursor did not go to the finger when I moved over the power button, or any function buttons.
I loaded a different 690. Avidine had power. Clicked the power button and experienced the same problem.

Regards,
Ken Alger

Carenado Support Today at 15:39

Greetings,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are going to check it and include it as a fix on a next version for this aircraft.

Regards,

Carenado.

Carenado's support reply for the following:

There is some confusion with the online community regarding which engine is modeled in you new AC 690B, the TPE 331-5 or the TPE 331-10T? The emblem for the -10T is on the side of the aircraft, however the performance doesn't match the -10T? It seems folks were expecting the -10T, any chance to mod the aircraft to meet the specs on the -10T?

Martin - Thank you!

Greetings,
Thanks for your feedback, this info will be revised with the programmer and the aircraft pilots to be as close as the real aircraft, any change will be addressed in the next service pack.
Regards

Carenado

6 hours ago, whamil77 said:

The TPE-331 engines are actually superior to the PT-6 in many ways.  They have a TBO of 5000 hrs. versus 3600 for the Pratt.  And overhaul of a TPE is less expensive than a PT-6.  The TPE also delivers similar power at much lower fuel flows.  Money and performance wise, the TPE is a far superior engine.  But it's noisy on the ramp and Beechcraft went with the PT-6.  The rest is history.  Beta tapes were far superior to VHS, but VHS won the market.  The TPE is superior to the PT-6, but the PT-6 won the market.  Go figure.     

Flown both myself and while it is true that the Garrett engine is far superior in many ways noise is a big factor. Starting up a PT6 is also much easier than e.g. the Metro with the enrichment button.

The Garrett engine is also much more prone to flame out when ingesting slush during the take off run.

7 hours ago, Tenpin said:

Powered the Avidine display off. Could not power it back up; in fact the cursor - normally a finger pointer for active buttons, etc, turn into the arrow.  Reloaded another 690. It did the same thing.

Headed for Carenado support now,.

Go to the popup window... you can turn it on there.

Bert

Does it model the linemen hiding when you ask to be topped off and get as much as you can get in there? Next to the Mu-2, the Commanders were the worst PITA for the line guys. They use to have one guy fueling and the other shaking the wing to burp the bladders. Get another 50+ gal in but took 30 minutes to do it.

41 minutes ago, JIMJAM said:

Does it model the linemen hiding when you ask to be topped off and get as much as you can get in there? 

I don't own it (yet) but make an educated guess....
With due respect but how/why on earth would a flight simulator (any) simulate a person shaking the wing to get the air out of the fuel tanks?...

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

I also want bug guts simulated for my windshield. Red,yellows and greens. The southern variety are chunky, grainy and stick the entire flight while the northern ones are mostly exploders and and run slowly. Surprised that someone has not jumped on that idea seeing that realism is big $$$. Being able to run over chocks would be cool also. But I will settle on the interior lights being fixed.

Actually Flight 1 C182T has a big bug splat on the windshield that usually occurs on takeoff!

Looking forward to seeing what Carenado fixes with their first SP.

3 hours ago, JIMJAM said:

I also want bug guts simulated for my windshield. Red,yellows and greens. 

I don't owe it (yet), but...
The shaking person was a bad idea, but I must admit bug guts in all kinds of varieties, including European ones, is a great idea.
Maybe Orbx can realize this. FTX North America Guts, FTX European Guts or something.Not to mention a repaint template

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Yes, if Orbx can do both North American and European "bug guts" then they can have a automated "line person" cleaning one's windscreen of the bug guts prior to the next flight. That would be taking our sim experience to the "next level"!