Sign in to follow this  
DarrianCZE

Another updates?...

I'm going to just copy/paste my response from an earlier thread, because it responded to the same complaint of failed logic:

As one of the guys who got the updater off the ground as a concept, I'm extremely proud of the functionality that it offers, and the improvements that we've made to it (thanks, in large part, to feedback we see here). All the same, there are certain points where we need to ask that you all download a full installer. Given that we have the capability to use either avenue, it shouldn't be too much of a logical jump to assume that, when we ask you to do the full installer - uninstall - reinstall procedure, there's a reason behind that.

In this case, our installers have received some pretty extensive changes that make your installs more bulletproof and error resistant. A solid base install, of course, yields more success for the Updater. As RSR mentioned in the latest pinned thread, we're really trying to set a clean baseline to work from.

We get that it's frustrating. I'd love to use the updater to get some of these updates out to you. Given the nature of the type of update, that's not realistically something that we can do, which is why we asked you to go through grabbing the full installer again. We would not have asked you to do so otherwise. We, of course, appreciate your understanding, and hope that you can see that we're doing so for all of your best interests, and for the benefit of supporting all of you.

• Upvote 4

Kyle Rodgers

39 minutes ago, ScotFlieger said:

How are users supposed to know that if the Ops Centre information suggests simply click to update. 

When I tried to update through the ops center a pop up notepad opened saying that updates were available and that they could be downloaded from the website.

Not seeing an issue here...

• Upvote 1

Working on multiple screens and 2 operating systems I did not see any notepad page as it was buried under other windows and I dismissed it when I saw it. Why does the Ops Centre not display the message directly. It looks like an amateur setup?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

2 hours ago, DavidP said:

You're very fortunate to have such a fast internet service. Many of us don't.

Yes David , I fully understand this.

I was trying to place some context. The relative time it takes to do what PMDG asks us to do, must be similar for all of us.

I have several add ons/utilities/applications for hardware and software that I use with my simulator, and each one (I think without exception)  of them has updated their product for P3Dv4 several times since May 30th. 

Download, uninstall, install, etc., etc.

It is a new product. All of them, starting with LM are surely doing their best to get it to a point, where all of us will be able to just enjoy the "new" 64-bit world.

many regards,

Roberto

Roberto Stopnicki

Toronto, Canada

As I missed the pinned topic on downloading the Full Installers for the 777, the 747, and the 737NGX, and uninstalling/reinstalling these products, including licence deactivate/surrender, or cannot locate it in the General Forum, could somebody kindly spare a few minutes to list the procedures to be followed that RSR posted?

Thank you.

EDIT:Kindly ignore. I found it

Edited by vc10man
Found the answer

51 minutes ago, vc10man said:

including licence deactivate/surrender

DO NOT RETURN THE LICENSE

When it comes to our products, as mentioned in the Intro Manual, the only time you need to (and should) do this, is when you are changing hardware, changing computers, or reinstalling your entire operating system. Do not attempt to do so at any other time. Not when you're uninstalling/reinstalling the plane; not when you're uninstalling/reinstalling the sim; not when you're changing from P3Dv3 to P3Dv4; not when you pass GO, or collect $200. Please :laugh:

Kyle Rodgers

9 hours ago, FlavioSSA said:

Well guys, don´t forget people with LIMITED bandwith and limited download quota!!! Yes, they exist outside your room. And they WILL pay for the extra download charge. That´s why we need to go back to incremental updates asap.

And a question: is this new full update enable the instalations of -600-700 or is just for the base package?

Like me! Live in the Yukon and we only have 1 ISP. So I pay $200/m for internet with a BS quota of data. We are connected to Edmonton AB via fiber optic paid for by my taxes but since there is only one ISP here we are ripped off. Canadian government does nothing to stop the extortion!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

OK, so having worked in IT for almost 40 years now, this seems to be the issue:

1.  PMDG HAS to push some new FULL installers at the end users.  That will be a given.

2.  Once the FULL installers have been updated, future updates *should* be able to be accomplished through the OC with only much smaller "micro" updates.

3.  In the meantime, users with fast Internet service and unlimited bandwidth plans won't complain about downloading new FULL installers. 

4.  But, users with restricted speed and bandwidth Internet service do have a rational concern. BUT, that is NOT a problem for the developer.  It is, sad to say, a problem for the end user with the slow, limited bandwidth connection.

5.  SO.....would THIS be a possible solution?  PMDG, I assume any FULL installer update would be a CUMULATIVE update that included all PREVIOUS updates.  If that is so, then just say whether any new FULL installer will be the LAST full installer before the *micro* updates can start.  Users with limited bandwidth and speed can then just WAIT for the LAST full installer to be released before downloading it. 

Yes, I know that won't make the limited speed and bandwidth crowd happy.  But that's life.  It's not PMDG's fault you have a slow or limited bandwidth service.

Respectfully submitted.

• Upvote 1

Rick Ryan

1 minute ago, FalconAF said:

5.  SO.....would THIS be a possible solution?  PMDG, I assume any FULL installer update would be a CUMULATIVE update that included all PREVIOUS updates.  If that is so, then just say whether any new FULL installer will be the LAST full installer before the *micro* updates can start.  Users with limited bandwidth and speed can then just WAIT for the LAST full installer to be released before downloading it. 

Yes, I know that won't make the limited speed and bandwidth crowd happy.  But that's life.  It's not PMDG's fault you have a slow or limited bandwidth service.

Respectfully submitted.

I don't think PMDG have their update sequence planned out ahead of time. I doubt they would be able to say when the last full installer update will be until it happens, by which time everyone will have downloaded all the updates by then. 

Uh, OK.  But I paid over $400 for the best "study sim" airplanes available, and the company producing them is just "winging it" with their current update plans?  I really find that hard to believe, let alone troubling. 

But not too troubling.  I have a super fast unlimited bandwidth Internet plan, so.......  :biggrin:

...my sincere condolences to those who don't.

Rick Ryan

2 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

Uh, OK.  But I paid over $400 for the best "study sim" airplanes available, and the company producing them is just "winging it" with their current update plans?  I really find that hard to believe, let alone troubling. 

But not too troubling.  I have a super fast unlimited bandwidth Internet plan, so.......  :biggrin:

...my sincere condolences to those who don't.

Not what I said. Or not what I meant at least. I was meaning that they don't know in advance whether an update in the future is going to require a full install or not. It will depend on what fixes are actually being applied

Ah, OK.  I didn't read it that way.  In any case, I still stand by it's not PMDG's fault that a customer has a slow or limited Internet connection.  That was my main point in my first post.  The customer has to live with that issue.  And should stop implying, either implicitly or otherwise, that the developer is causing their "problem".

Rick Ryan

3 minutes ago, FalconAF said:

Ah, OK.  I didn't read it that way.  In any case, I still stand by it's not PMDG's fault that a customer has a slow or limited Internet connection.  That was my main point in my first post.  The customer has to live with that issue.  And should stop implying, either implicitly or otherwise, that the developer is causing their "problem".

Apologies for the confusion. I agree it's not their problem however to some extent they should try to avoid repeated heavy downloads (because the extra bandwidth costs them more and to keep customers happy), which they do to some extent with the OC updates, unfortunately not every update can come through the OC. 

1 hour ago, FalconAF said:

OK, so having worked in IT for almost 40 years now, this seems to be the issue:

1.  PMDG HAS to push some new FULL installers at the end users.  That will be a given.

2.  Once the FULL installers have been updated, future updates *should* be able to be accomplished through the OC with only much smaller "micro" updates.

3.  In the meantime, users with fast Internet service and unlimited bandwidth plans won't complain about downloading new FULL installers. 

4.  But, users with restricted speed and bandwidth Internet service do have a rational concern. BUT, that is NOT a problem for the developer.  It is, sad to say, a problem for the end user with the slow, limited bandwidth connection.

Respectfully submitted.

Please read my earlier post.

Also: full names - first and last - are required in the forum here.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers